S240 Oil Change

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks for spending the time with all of this info. Believe me I'm not stressing at all. I use a high zinc content oil in some of the flat tappet engines I work on because of cam break in issues. I have a Toro 21 inch lawnmower with a Suzuki engine it and is 26 years old. Doesn't burn a drop of oil and gets synthetic Amsoil oil each year. Like I said earlier I'm not familiar with small engines and I know they are different in many ways so I'll keep on learning.
Thanks

I hope the Suzuki burns some oil as it is a 2 stroke , :) and a very good engine it is too.
I have a couple of them here fitted to 24" Big Bobs and they run flawlessly. How much is due to the Mikuni carb is another question.
Not quite up to the standard of the Victa power Torque which was too good for the USA so your government invented "safety problems" and banned it thus you are unlikely to see one.
When I bought the repair run the vendor spent 1/2 the day reciting "it is a lawnmower, not a space shuttle" and it still took me several years to come to terms with the design & build quality.
I was appaled the first time I pulled one apart & found not only did it have no bearings inside but there was not even a thrust washer between the crank & the sump casting , the engine relied entirely on splash and the filter did nothing but filter some of the oil in the sump that was not being splashed around the engine .
Then the idea of setting end float by using different thickness sump gaskets ( which compress when tightened ) had me scratching my head wondering how these things managed to run al all.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I hope the Suzuki burns some oil as it is a 2 stroke , :) and a very good engine it is too.
I have a couple of them here fitted to 24" Big Bobs and they run flawlessly. How much is due to the Mikuni carb is another question.
Not quite up to the standard of the Victa power Torque which was too good for the USA so your government invented "safety problems" and banned it thus you are unlikely to see one.
When I bought the repair run the vendor spent 1/2 the day reciting "it is a lawnmower, not a space shuttle" and it still took me several years to come to terms with the design & build quality.
I was appaled the first time I pulled one apart & found not only did it have no bearings inside but there was not even a thrust washer between the crank & the sump casting , the engine relied entirely on splash and the filter did nothing but filter some of the oil in the sump that was not being splashed around the engine .
Then the idea of setting end float by using different thickness sump gaskets ( which compress when tightened ) had me scratching my head wondering how these things managed to run al all.
That's what I was thinking with Briggs when they had different thickness gasket to set endplay, unless they account for crush with the torque of the bolts some how.

Russ2251

Threads
The bashing is gettin' kinda' tired don't ya think?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I think the U.S. Has a few more idiots than Australia....

GMJim

Threads

The Suzuki engine in my Toro lawnmower is a 4 stroke. Doesn't burn any oil at all, starts on the first pull.

Last edited:

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Jim.
To take things from the top.
IT IS A LAWNMOWER ENGINE
IT IS A VERTICAL SHAFT LAWNMOWER ENGINE
IT IS THE CHEAPEST ENGINE IT IS POSSIBLE TO MAKE

For sure! Look at the millions of B&S engines with untreated bare aluminum bores, iron crankshafts running on the cast aluminum case journals, power take offs running off the camshafts, etc etc. Used to buy a brand new push mower for $49.95 complete here in the states.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The Suzuki engine in my Toro lawnmower is a 4 stroke. Doesn't burn any oil at all, starts on the first pull.
Interesting Jim.
Another new one to me.
Only even seen 2 stroke Suzukis on mowers and my parts wholesalers don't list any 4 stroke Suzuki parts.
Feel like popping up the model numbers ( if they are still there ) as I would like to pull the manuals down off the Toro web site.
Learning about stull I don't know about is the real reason why I am here.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've got a Toro/Suzuki and it's 2 cycle. I didn't know Suzuki mad 4 cycle engines for Toro, either.

GMJim

Threads
Interesting Jim.
Another new one to me.
Only even seen 2 stroke Suzukis on mowers and my parts wholesalers don't list any 4 stroke Suzuki parts.
Feel like popping up the model numbers ( if they are still there ) as I would like to pull the manuals down off the Toro web site.
Learning about stull I don't know about is the real reason why I am here.

Model number is 26623. I bought this new in Sept. 1990. The Toro parts manual and info is at the bottom of the post, Just click on it.

20191217_214330_resized.jpg

20191217_214351_resized.jpg

20191217_214212_resized.jpg

Toro Parts

Last edited: