Replacing broken Craftsman sockets

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have been using sockets on autos for many years and have never broken a socket; impact sockets are for specific applications like wheels with an impact wrench only.
neither have I apart from the drive pin on one tension wrench
Then again I have Hazet , Britool , Sidchrome ,Dufore , MiniMax, Koken & Stahlwillie mostly because I do not buy crap tools
Different brands for different types of threads because I work on old British cars & bikes where they take pride in using every different thread size & form known to man and then some unique to the maker .
So having different brands of tools makes them easy to sort when the job is done .

Lawn Addict
Threads
I work on old British cars & bikes where they take pride in using every different thread size & form known to man and then some unique to the maker .
Harley does that as well.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Harley does that as well.
Didn’t read all sixty something posts. My take is that if you break a tool, whatever the brand, after years of use and take it back for a new one, you are cheap, probably abused the tool, and are taking advantage of the situation. Suck it up and buy another tool.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Well I agree most times when a tool breaks it is from abuse but I had one wrench that the open end broke and it was not from misuse but from a defect the was covered by the chrome plating. It was a Blackhawk which I could not get warranted any more due to no local vendors willing to honor the warranty. I just purchase another wrench as it was a size I use quite a bit.

Just purchase a couple sets of box end wrenches (SAE and Metric) that I can afford to throw away if I break one. The 12 wrenches only cost $22 at TSC. That is less $2 each.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Can't resist...

Hey Scrub! My tools are better than your tools.

I know 😜

rhkraft

Threads
Probably true about the cheaper less carbon steel. But thin wall is more practical in tight places. I have had Craftsman tools for 68 years and they are all still good. Use an impact socket with an impact wrench. I have cracked some sockets from cheaper brands.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well so far it is doing the job as intended & I have used cheater bars when needed.

Jimmy the Lock

Threads
I used to meet interesting ladies at cheater bars back in the day! guitar-jammin2.gif

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Didn’t read all sixty something posts. My take is that if you break a tool, whatever the brand, after years of use and take it back for a new one, you are cheap, probably abused the tool, and are taking advantage of the situation. Suck it up and buy another tool.
Some more reasons to buy a new tool instead of “exchanging it.” Usually by the tool breaks you have used it many times, it has not only paid for itself, it has made you money. You feel so good about the tool that you gladly buy another one. You have integrity and live by doing the right thing, so no need to “exchange “ a 23 year old socket that has been rode hard and put up wet. You enjoy purchasing new tools. It is like buying new clothes for a lady.