Replacing broken Craftsman sockets

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just went today to Ace Hdwre. to replace some broken Craftsman sockets.. Mine are old & were made in USA.
Replacement is from china.

But was surprised ie: 10mm 6 point deep-well from Craftsman / china was visibly thicker walled construction.. Surprised.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It is thicker because it is made from a cheaper lower strength steel, not because it is better
Look at the premium snap ons and Sthalwilie spannars that are 1/2 the thickness because they are made from a much stronger steel .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
This why I prefer to buy impact rated sockets. Less of a chance of getting low quality sockets. But any tool there can be defects beyond visible inspection. I had some very expensive wrenches to break before the cheaper Chinese ones.

Also one of brothers had a toolbox he left when he die that was full of broken sockets. I think most of were broken using pull bars and impacts which they were not design to used with.

Personally I not broken any the wrenches or socket other than one Blackhawk wrench which was defective. I just wear them out.

Lawn Addict
Threads
It is thicker because it is made from a cheaper lower strength steel, not because it is better
Look at the premium snap ons and Sthalwilie spannars that are 1/2 the thickness because they are made from a much stronger steel .
Yep, I figured same thing.

Lawn Addict
Threads
This why I prefer to buy impact rated sockets. Less of a chance of getting low quality sockets. But any tool there can be defects beyond visible inspection. I had some very expensive wrenches to break before the cheaper Chinese ones.

Also one of brothers had a toolbox he left when he die that was full of broken sockets. I think most of were broken using pull bars and impacts which they were not design to used with.

Personally I not broken any the wrenches or socket other than one Blackhawk wrench which was defective. I just wear them out.
I have impact sockets as well, just not in 1/4" drive.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've heard a rumor that Lowes will honor Craftsman tool lifetime warranties.
Lowes does honor the Craftsman warranty around here for sure. As well as Napa, Amazon, Ace, Atwoods Ranch & Home, & others, I'm sure.

Many hopped on the Craftsman name.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I have impact sockets as well, just not in 1/4" drive.
I got a whole set of 1/4 impact sockets (SAE and metric, shallow and deep well) with carrying case that I brought a couple years ago for around $40 thru Amazon.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Cool, Good price. I'm kinda overfull on tools. (Did I say that ?) I have 4 of each socket & wrench. I paint my SAE stuff Chevy Orange. & all Metric is Blue.
Not all over, just a pass w/rattle can to know the diff instantly.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I keep mine on coloured rails blue = metric red = US green = Whit + BA +BSC + Ad