Replacing bearings on deck spindle

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
All well & good but you can not get the spindle housing off the deck until you remove the top pulley which is rusted on
The OP can not get the pulley off which was the original problem.

If he commits to an entire new spindle assy. ....... a 4 1/2" grinder and an electric sawzall will make short change of the originals ...BUT FIRST must be sure of pulley sizing and base of spindle housing for mounting bolts I recently paid $17.00 each for a new housing WITH the bearings & inner spacer installed ... I of course used my shafts, spacer (outer), pulleys, blade adapters, washers & nuts ( those are what I call the LOW-CROWN model housings )

dji1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Rear 8 hp motor

Model # 7-830 RD

Date of Man: 5-30702X57A 0393

I bought this +20 years ago and never had a manual for it.

dji1

Forum Newbie
Threads
In picture #2 do you see the tab at about 12 o'clock to the shaft? Take punch and fold that tab up alongside the shaft and I think you will be able to move that lock ring.

Also check here to see if they have the parts you need: https://www.stenspartsdirect.com/ the office is in Waco but they ship out of a Dallas location and have had parts for an old Murray I have.
Tom

Thanks Tom. I will also checkout this parts site.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There are no springs, clips, tabs, retaining washers etc etc etc.
The shaft is strait with a forged flange on the blade end,
The pulley has a slot cut in it to go over the 1/2 round. ( moon to some ) key in the shaft.
Once the nut comes off the pulley it simply pulls off, if it has not rusted on solid like yours.
The pulley is quite thin & easily damaged and is NLA so be careful removing it.
The entire assembly is replaceable so you can smack the end and drive the shaft through.
Some degreaser followed by rust remover will work wonders as will heat then pouring some penetrating fluid on the shaft to break the rust seal.

Pumper54

Threads
I stand corrected, as Bert pointed out what I thought was a locking tab (picture #2) is actually the key in the key slot.
Tom