Replace needle and seat??

Rls8836

Threads
Sorry don’t where to post this so I’m asking here. How do you remove the seat in a carburetor to replace with a new needle and seat on my carburetor. This is a 5.5 horsepower motor on my granddaughters goKart. It’s not a Briggs and Stratton but resembles one. Someone told me it might be a predator engine. I’ve never removed the seat in a carburetor and want to know the way to do it. Thankyou in advance

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
If it's a predator, it may not have a removable seat, or it may have a brass seat. some engines use a all metal needle and rubber seat, some use a metal needle with a rubber (viton) tip with a brass seat.
We'll need more information to give you any exact procedures or proper repair parts

Rls8836

Threads
If it's a predator, it may not have a removable seat, or it may have a brass seat. some engines use a all metal needle and rubber seat, some use a metal needle with a rubber (viton) tip with a brass seat.
We'll need more information to give you any exact procedures or proper repair parts
Ok tomorrow I’ll go look at the engine, what info you need

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Ok tomorrow I’ll go look at the engine, what info you need
If you can find it, a model number. IF it's a briggs and stratton, it will be stamped into the valve cover, if it's a predator or "Honda clone" motor, there should be some numbers stamped into the back of the block.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Pictures could be helpful too.

Bertrrr

Threads
Remove the carb, turn upside down and blow into the fuel port , if you can't blow through it the needle and seat are ok, When you turn it right side up you should be able to blow through it , this will eliminate the needle / seat or tell if they're bad

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Just blowing in without using a pressure gauge is just about as useful as tits on a boar hog. I use a tester and do a 30 min leak down to verify that the float needle valve and seat are sealing.

Bertrrr

Threads
I've done it lots of times it's a good initial test - never went any further with pressure gauges etc. but sure it's a more accurate test.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Personally I don't like the taste of gasoline. Maybe it is just my taste. But pressure gauge you if the seal is holding within the design limits but I never to blow enough to hit 7-10 psi for fuel pump setup nor 3-5 psi for gravity setups.

Bertrrr

Threads
Yeah , I use a clean hose to blow through to keep gas outa my mouth, you'll know right away if it's a bad seat. Seems cheaper these days to change the whole carb rather than a repair kit.