Removal of blade on a riding mower ?

agwayman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is the orocess of blade removal the same on a rider to a push mower ? Lift it and unbolt it ? and if so does anybody know if the bolt is clockwise or counter clockwise ? I have a mid 90's agway and its cutting but the blade needs to be sharpened or replaced , bogging down a little .

tyjoja

Threads
I have an older john deere, It has 3 blades and they are all normal clockwise tight. I lift mine with a floor jack and get a big socket with a breaker bar. I make sure to do them 1 at a time and make sure to put them on with the right side down etc. Get a blade balancer to make sure each side weighs the same before reinstalling. bob

agwayman

Forum Newbie
Threads
I was thinking of just replaceing the blade or blades . I have not lifted the mower yet , Just thought I would ask before I started , , do you lift the front or back ?

tyjoja

Threads
my machine is a front mower and you ride behind, so I lift from the front. I would lift whatever end will get you closer to the blade. If I really want it up higher I use a floor jack from each end. I bought an I-beam this winter to put across a bay in my lean to, to use chain hoists to lift it up as high as I want for cleaning/maintenance. bob

fastback

Threads
I lift all of my garden tractors from the front, unless I use the car lift:thumbsup: I use an air impact hammer to remove the blades. I have found tha this is the easiest way. Of course, if you don't have access then the next best this is a breaker bar. Oh, make sure you use stands of some type.

All of the blade bolts on my machines are righty tighty and lefty loosey:smile:

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
fastback said:
I lift all of my garden tractors from the front, unless I use the car lift:thumbsup: I use an air impact hammer to remove the blades. I have found tha this is the easiest way. Of course, if you don't have access then the next best this is a breaker bar. Oh, make sure you use stands of some type.

All of the blade bolts on my machines are righty tighty and lefty loosey:smile:

Sorry I can't help it I have to ask how do you get them off with a air impact HAMMER ????

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

fastback

Threads
I guess the answer would be very carfully:laughing: It comes off alright its getting it back on that the problem:biggrin: I guess I couldn't find my wrench that day:smile: Oh well.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
A 2 x 4 or other block of wood wedged between the blade and discharge opening will keep the blade from turning when you remove/install the blade bolt(s).

A engineer told me the blade is often structurally part of the spindle and the blade bolts should be tightened with a torque wrench to the correct specification. If you've ever had to use a flimsy tire iron to remove lug nuts that were vigorously installed by somebody with an pneumatic impact wrench, you know what I'm talking about. :rolleyes:

Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding was my opinion alone.