Rechargeable batteries for lawn mowers

macky

Threads

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Macky... I'm sure you are right...
Rechargeable batteries are being developed that will make this very popular... and economically practical... :smile:KennyV

mois25

Threads
That sounds like a really superb idea but one that will obviously come with challenges. Nonetheless, they will best be tackled when the right time comes.

As is the norm, an idea always crops from one person then a team comes up to build on the skeleton so we hope the invention comprises of a big team.

Manny

Threads
Wow, that's something I hadn't even thought about. It would probably make a small lawnmower easier to crank, if they were battery operated. Makes sense that lawnmowers should go "green"!

mois25

Threads
Haha, how can lawn mowers be left behind in the Green Revolution! Just a thought, how often would the batteries be recharged? Or would they be recharged as the mower is in operation?

macky

Threads
I figure that the batteries will be recharged once you bring it back to the garage. In that case it's got to operate well for a comfortable number of hours. I also imagine that one would need a backup battery.

lizard

Threads
These Batteries cost a fortune.......and are dangerous without noise!:eek:

junebug1701

Threads
The cordless electric lawn mower sounds like a great idea. But from what I've seen, the batteries wear out after about 2 years and they are VERY expensive to replace. I've seen many electrics going cheap or even for free on Craigslist and other classified sites. They always need new batteries. And those old batteries that contain hazardous chemicals often end up in the landfill unless taken to a recycler. Now how green is that?

macky

Threads
These Batteries cost a fortune.......and are dangerous without noise!:eek:

Dangerous without noise? I don't get it. The whole point is to bring down noise, among others :) Kindly elaborate.

But yes, batteries may cost a fortune. But perhaps not that much. These are not batteries for UPS. They're batteries for a mechanical function. Just a thought.

junebug1701

Threads
Dangerous without noise? I don't get it. The whole point is to bring down noise, among others :) Kindly elaborate.

But yes, batteries may cost a fortune. But perhaps not that much. These are not batteries for UPS. They're batteries for a mechanical function. Just a thought.

I suppose he was thinking that an electric mower would be so quiet that Sparky and Fluffy would not hear it and get hurt. Well, they are quiet, but not that quiet, you can hear them just like any electric appliance.

As for the batteries, read the reviews. Most folks report that the battery pack in their $400 mower gets weaker and weaker and has to be replaced after 2 or 3 seasons. The Black & Decker battery, for example, costs around $120 and has to be soldered in. You can buy a cheap gas mower for that price.