Rebuilding a model 7266

WhyZed

Threads
I'm rebuilding a D409 motor which is the same as the D601 in the sense that the crankcase & cylinder separate.
I didn't use or need a ring compressor to put the cylinder over the piston and rings.

I made sure the ring end-gaps were opposite each other, oiled it all up, pinched the rings (one at a time) with my fingers & it went straight on, no problem..

A ring compressor might help but it is not a required tool..

DPI

Threads
There is play up and down and side to side. I don't have another one to compare it too, but I would think that the amount of play I am describing can't be good for the longevity of the engine. I am measuring end play at the end of the crank. I put a dial indicator at that point and came up with 0.028, so if that is the correct place to measure it, it seems excessive.

robinb66

Threads
Also, I found a source for lawn boy engine paint on ebay, but it is $11 + shipping for a 4.5 oz can. Anyone found a better source?

actually i just got through with the rebuild on my 7084, rustoleum engine enamel grabber green is so close its hard to tell them apart. just waiting to obtain some wheels!!
:cool:

oldboys

Threads
It went for $88. Maybe that's not too bad but it was more than I wanted to spend. There are listings for Stens replacement pistons on ebay for $30-40. Are they any good or is it worth the extra $$$ for the oem?

I restore vintage lawnboys, and stens pistons are dimensionally correct. Rotary brand pistons are junk.