Rebuilding a model 7266

DPI

Threads
Hi all. I am rebuilding my model 7266. It was still running good but I decided to take it apart when I found play in the crankshaft on the bottom of the mower. Figured it was a good time for a rebuild after 36 years. :laughing:

I took the engine completely apart and this is what I found. My piston was scored up on both sides so I am looking for a new piston right now (606607). Cylinder itself should clean up with a good honing. So my question involves the crankshaft play. The crankshaft still looks good with no scoring, so I am not sure if it is upper bearing wear, or maybe the lower bronze sleeve? How much play is acceptable? I already replaced the upper bearing, but have not reassembled everything else yet. Just would like to get an idea about tolerances before I put everything back together.

Thanks in advance!

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've got a 7266... it's right near the top as one of my favorite mowers. :thumbsup:

Sorry I can't answer your question about the crankshaft tolerance but you might ask at a machine shop -- and remind them that it's a two-cycle, air-cooled engine. It's a good idea to get rid of any excess play in the shaft. Among the reasons: if the shaft isn't steady it will wear out the seal very quickly.

Have you found a piston? There was a discussion here (LB forum) about the difficulty of finding pistons for D-series engines. If you don't know a source, you might look on eBay.

Please let us know how you progress.

DPI

Threads
Thanks for the reply, I will ask a machine shop. Can you tell me how much shaft play you have on your mower? If you grab the blade, is there any side to side play? I seem to remember that there was not any but I do not have another mower to compare it to.

Fireman 123

Threads
The lower bronze bushings were 'poured' in, and from what I've found, they have to be bored out with an end mill bit. Probably a $50 job at your local machine shop. Most replace it with a needle bearing from a F series engine.
As for free play in the crank, I don't know what the min acceptable amount is, but I would shoot for none. Good luck.

DPI

Threads
I called a couple of lawnmower machine shops to ask about clearance of the lower shaft today. One laughed at me and the other said that's so old they wouldn't have a clue. Very helpful people. :mad: I put the engine together without the piston to check for end play and it seems pretty tight. Still a small amount of play and I will get an accurate measurement of end play and hope someone can give me a good answer as to what is acceptable.

Fireman - thanks. I am not familar with that type of modification. Would have to find a serious machine shop that knows something about these engines. Is there a how to thread on that?

DPI

Threads
Thanks for the links! Both very helpful.

I found the correct piston for my engine on ebay but lost it in the last minute of the auction. Someone went crazy and jacked the price up beyond resonable so I gave up. It was for an OEM piece. I have seen listings for Stens replacement pistons too. Anyone here recommend them?

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for the links! Both very helpful.

I found the correct piston for my engine on ebay but lost it in the last minute of the auction. Someone went crazy and jacked the price up beyond resonable so I gave up. It was for an OEM piece. I have seen listings for Stens replacement pistons too. Anyone here recommend them?

Good for you -- you showed restraint when the bidding went wild.

Do you remember the final price?

Anyway, it's nice to know they're available.

DPI

Threads
It went for $88. Maybe that's not too bad but it was more than I wanted to spend. There are listings for Stens replacement pistons on ebay for $30-40. Are they any good or is it worth the extra $$$ for the oem?