Rear wheel tilt on hrb216hxa

crosstalk

Threads
Hello. I had really worn pinion gears so I replaced those and now I noticed the rear wheels (mostly the left) has a bit of a tilt with the top of the wheel closer to the cutter housing than the bottom. This probably has nothing to do with the pinion gear (could have been that way before), but I am wondering if anybody knows what is worn or how to correct this?

photocb.jpg

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Could be the wheel itself. It's plastic, vs. the steel ball-bearings that support it. Or, if it is some metal part, could be bent or damaged. Here's a shot from the shop manual; take a look at the wheel, the bushings on the adjuster arm, and the arm itself for excessive wear.

Compare parts to the other side, assuming it's wheel is not leaning, to see what's different.

Attachments

• hrb216hxa rear wheels.jpg
    hrb216hxa rear wheels.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 26

crosstalk

Threads
Thanks, Robert. It seems mostly likely something with the adjuster arms or drive shaft bushings. I would like to figure it out though so I don't end up just replacing stuff until it's fixed.

Now that I am thinking about it, the leaning problem is probably the reason the pinion gears were so worn. Both wheels have some tilt--one worse than the other and that was the same situation with the gears. One gear was completely worn and one gear was partially worn.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Here's a parts list w/prices to help you decide....please note dealer sets actual retail price, FYI.

Attachments

• hrb216hxa rear wheels parts list.jpg
    hrb216hxa rear wheels parts list.jpg
    384.6 KB · Views: 11

crosstalk

Threads
Just a short follow-up. It was the axle on the adjuster arm. I was able to straighten it a bit on a vise. The new pinion gear was already showing some wear from the bad axle angle. Thanks for the help.

Threads
Just a short follow-up. It was the axle on the adjuster arm. I was able to straighten it a bit on a vise. The new pinion gear was already showing some wear from the bad axle angle. Thanks for the help.

I'm glad you got it fixed! :smile: