Raptor SD cut quality - any recommendations?

flightco

Threads
The Raptor that I bought and happily returned for a refund...did not cut as well as the Troy-Built lawn tractor I traded in for it...and the lil stump I hit that bent the deck mounts...my Troy-Built would have been able to absorb the impact because there was some play in the deck mounts it would give a little instead of bending the deck mounts like the Raptor did.

Based on this thread, I keep second guessing my Raptor SD purchase, that is until I cut my grass again. I have not yet been able to cut it when it is dry, it has rained so much and growing so fast, if there is a few hour break in the rain I cut it. Just finished cutting about an inch that has grown in 4 days. Grass was wet, ground was soft. The only time I noticed any clumping was when I put it in reverse (no idea why this would happen since the blades still turn the same way). I quickly drove over the clump and it was gone (I do have the mulch kit). I am the only one in the neighborhood who cuts their own lawn and it looks every bit as good as any professionally cut lawn. I am also the only one who seems to fertilize so actually it looks better. Could not be happier with the SD.

I do have a problem and I think it is related to ZTM in general and it has to do with turning at the end of a run. I am putting a nice divot at the end of each line I cut (OK, the professional cut lawns do not have this, so in that case they look better) I know it is technique, but not sure what I am doing wrong. Any suggestions?

turboawd

Threads
If they don't matter how they look I'd say stick to the old home depot cub cadet, why waste the money on a ZTR. Seriously a ZTR wasn't designed for a bush hog, the tractor would be just as fast if that's your trying to accomplish.

the cub cadet blew a motor after after only 150 hours of cutting. not buying another.

The Raptor that I bought and happily returned for a refund...did not cut as well as the Troy-Built lawn tractor I traded in for it...and the lil stump I hit that bent the deck mounts...my Troy-Built would have been able to absorb the impact because there was some play in the deck mounts it would give a little instead of bending the deck mounts like the Raptor did.

did you have the raptor sd? what exactly bent? those long pins that the deck hangs on?

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Based on this thread, I keep second guessing my Raptor SD purchase, that is until I cut my grass again. I have not yet been able to cut it when it is dry, it has rained so much and growing so fast, if there is a few hour break in the rain I cut it. Just finished cutting about an inch that has grown in 4 days. Grass was wet, ground was soft. The only time I noticed any clumping was when I put it in reverse (no idea why this would happen since the blades still turn the same way). I quickly drove over the clump and it was gone (I do have the mulch kit). I am the only one in the neighborhood who cuts their own lawn and it looks every bit as good as any professionally cut lawn. I am also the only one who seems to fertilize so actually it looks better. Could not be happier with the SD.

I do have a problem and I think it is related to ZTM in general and it has to do with turning at the end of a run. I am putting a nice divot at the end of each line I cut (OK, the professional cut lawns do not have this, so in that case they look better) I know it is technique, but not sure what I am doing wrong. Any suggestions?

Try This for turning at the end of a run. It's the Y Turn

Y-Turn_1.jpg

flightco

Threads
Try This for turning at the end of a run. It's the Y Turn

Y-Turn_1.jpg

Thank you Ric, I will try that.

I think you are a lawn pro so I will pose a couple questions to you

1. Any idea why I get clumping in reverse when virtually nothing in forward (grass is very wet)

2. This entire conversation got me very interested in "clumping" and why the pros don't get any. I had the opportunity to watch two lawns being pro cut today. I took my dogs for a walk past the houses and both had clumps of grass, I was surprised because I have not seen this before. they both had different ways to take care of the problem, one used a back mounted blower and blew the clumps into fine grass and they dissipated. The other walked around the yard with what looked to be a very stiff bristled push broom and raked over the clumps and they disappeared. Is this how pros normally deal with clumps?

Kremeneon

Threads

The divots are because you stop one wheel completely, or near completely and spin the mower around using the other. It is the exact same motion as putting the ball of your foot down and spinning around on it. To not divot you need to keep both drive wheels turning, the Y turn is great if you have limited runoff room. Another good method if there is a little more space (I need 10-12') is to make a tractor type turn, but tighter, steer away from where you are turning, then turn nice and tight, but still keeping forward motion with both wheels.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thank you Ric, I will try that.

I think you are a lawn pro so I will pose a couple questions to you

1. Any idea why I get clumping in reverse when virtually nothing in forward (grass is very wet)

2. This entire conversation got me very interested in "clumping" and why the pros don't get any. I had the opportunity to watch two lawns being pro cut today. I took my dogs for a walk past the houses and both had clumps of grass, I was surprised because I have not seen this before. they both had different ways to take care of the problem, one used a back mounted blower and blew the clumps into fine grass and they dissipated. The other walked around the yard with what looked to be a very stiff bristled push broom and raked over the clumps and they disappeared. Is this how pros normally deal with clumps?

Yeah your ZTR is capable of making a zero turn but anytime you use opposite wheel direction between the rear wheels your gonna create Turf Damage. If you want to eliminate Turf Damage then use the Y turn method. At the end of your run just turn toward the next mowing path and stop your mower momentarily to reverse your direction to line up your next mowing path then move forward, there's no wheel spin created unless you think your racing at the Daytona 500 and you really don't have to worry about one wheel turning faster than the other.

When your mowing in reverse your basically going against the rotation of the blades and the design of the air flow of the deck. Your blades and deck are designed to cut and discharge grass in one direction. Mowing in reverse will just create clumps and a lot of times the grass will just run out under the front of the deck when you mow in reverse. It's kinda like trying using a trimmer backwards.

There are a lot of options to reduce or get rid clippings. The blower thing is good as long as you don't have to big a mess as well as the broom, the power broom is also a good option. Personally I like to use the G6 blades because they reduce the size of the clippings down to less than half inch and disperse the clippings over a wider area and if need you can double cut changing the direction of your first cut.

Last edited:

PVHIII

Threads

Glad you are happy with your mower... nothing feels any worse than spending a few grand and not being happy...you need to make what's called a 3 point turn... I think there are videos on you tube to help you with that...enjoy that new mower:)

KrashnKraka

Threads
The chains allow for the deck to basically float which gives you a much better cut and THEY DON'T BEND.

...mmmm, okay.
I'll change out mine to find out about float although I got no
gripe with manicure. But our grasses (.au) and methods of
housekeeping are way different to what I read and see here
reported in posts.

On manicure, or rather clippings gathering, I am going to get up
a thread on Walkers. I have found an Australian distributor
Home Page
but would seek some feedback from the "home country".
I would appreciate your looking at that thread and maybe
offer some input, thanks.

PVHIII

Threads
...mmmm, okay.
I'll change out mine to find out about float although I got no
gripe with manicure. But our grasses (.au) and methods of
housekeeping are way different to what I read and see here
reported in posts.

On manicure, or rather clippings gathering, I am going to get up
a thread on Walkers. I have found an Australian distributor
Home Page
but would seek some feedback from the "home country".
I would appreciate your looking at that thread and maybe
offer some input, thanks.

I know Walker builds good mowers...some consider them to be the cream of the crop so to speak and they have a "cream of the crop" price tag...they're known for their superb quality of cut..Also as far as the deck go's...if it ain't broke don't fix it..really don't think it's possible to just change them out anyway.

Last edited: