Raptor SD cut quality - any recommendations?

PVHIII

Threads
When I looked at the deck quickly last weekend, the FT definitely looked a bit deeper. The side discharge was big compared to the RSD with that curved, open-top discharge with the bar across the bottom, and underneath looked more "open".
There will be huge difference in cut quality...less build up under the deck... better discharge.... Will be kinda like goin from log wagon to Cadillac... and that's not an exaggeration... I don't know why Ric would think there's not much difference in these mowers...also forgot to mention that Deck will handle wet grass much better as well.

PVHIII

Threads
One of the differences between the engines is the air filtration system. The FR is only a single stage. The FS is a dual element and you need to service the foam element every 25 hrs and the paper element every 50hrs/ replace at 200hrs. The fx Has the Dual stage canister air filter, it has a Primary and a Safety inside the the primary and the service interval is 250hrs and replacement is every 500hrs. The Fx has a metal engine cover and a heavy duty shift-type starter. The Thing is if your a homeowner and using the mower for your personal use the Raptor sd with the FR and 2800 drives are all you would need, a commercial drive is really a waste of money for a homeowner.
That does depend on how much the home owner is mowing and the terrain and something I feel is never mentioned is..... it also depends on how well the H.O. wants his lawn mower to perform.

RaptorSDer

Threads
I can't help but think something is wrong with your specific mower. I've cut fairly tall damp grass with my SD with good results.

PVHIII

Threads
I think the added mass and windage might increase engine load a bit, and fuel use, but I don't see RPM changing. compare it to towing a trailer in your car. you still have plenty of power to go faster than speed limit, but maintaining the limit your foot is a little deeper into the throttle.
Only problem with this theory is....that mower don't come with a gas pedal and on a ZT you should always be mowin full throttle..so I'd say it would effect BTS

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
That half inch will make more of a difference than you think and I don't think the deck is designed the same either...that half sure makes it look bigger...they are not even close to being the same mower..lol
..... you shall see for yourself

When I looked at the deck quickly last weekend, the FT definitely looked a bit deeper. The side discharge was big compared to the RSD with that curved, open-top discharge with the bar across the bottom, and underneath looked more "open".

There will be huge difference in cut quality...less build up under the deck... better discharge.... Will be kinda like goin from log wagon to Cadillac... and that's not an exaggeration... I don't know why Ric would think there's not much difference in these mowers...also forgot to mention that Deck will handle wet grass much better as well.

I would guess that the half inch in depth could make some difference but with the BTS/FPM being the same or equal I wouldn't think there would be a lot of difference.I don't see the creation of vacuum and rate of discharge being all that different. PV you run the Hustler so you should know what's what with them, me I'm a Toro guy and I'll take my Turbo Force deck.:smile: If you say there's going to be huge difference in cut quality, I'll go with you.

PVHIII

Threads
I would guess that the half inch in depth could make some difference but with the BTS/FPM being the same or equal I wouldn't think there would be a lot of difference.I don't see the creation of vacuum and rate of discharge being all that different. PV you run the Hustler so you should know what's what with them, me I'm a Toro guy and I'll take my Turbo Force deck.:smile: If you say there's going to be huge difference in cut quality, I'll go with you.

Never ran one of those Toro's but that deck does get good reviews.Do you have a Hustler dealer in your area... and if so have you ever ran Hustler... Just wondering why you chose the Toro over the rest of the competition... My dealer's son and I are good friends so I'm in and out of their shop all the time so I am FAIRLY knowledgeable about these mowers... they carry Hustler and Grasshopper exclusively...I can ALMOST promise you he will be back on here shortly braggin about his new Fast Trak lol

PVHIII

Threads

This is Hustler and Grasshopper country and that's probably due to the fact that we have only one dealer in town and that's what he carries...however there are some LCP's runnin Toro's and with no dealer support around that Tells me they're good mowers.. I think there's A Toro dealer an hour away in Harrison.

DK35vince

Threads
The Thing is if your a homeowner and using the mower for your personal use the Raptor sd with the FR and 2800 drives are all you would need, a commercial drive is really a waste of money for a homeowner.
That is your opinion, not mine.
I'm a homeowner that mows a 7acres lawn. I own a Hustler Super Z w/35 HP Kawasaki and the 72" deck.
I wanted the Super Z to cut my mowing time way down, and last me the next 15-20 years.
I owned A Hustler FasTrak 54" for 4 years. It was an excellent mower, but I wanted bigger, faster, more power..
I sold it and upsized to the Super Z and wouldn't want anything less.

PVHIII

Threads
That is your opinion, not mine.
I'm a homeowner that mows a 7acres lawn. I own a Hustler Super Z w/35 HP Kawasaki and the 72" deck.
I wanted the Super Z to cut my mowing time way down, and last me the next 15-20 years.
I owned A Hustler FasTrak 54" for 4 years. It was an excellent mower, but I wanted bigger, faster, more power..
I sold it and upsized to the Super Z and wouldn't want anything less.

Exactly what I'm gonna do in 2 more years...do you have the VX4 deck on your Z....and how do you like it?

DK35vince

Threads
Exactly what I'm gonna do in 2 more years...do you have the VX4 deck on your Z....and how do you like it?
Yes, I have the 72" VX4 deck.
I'm not a profession that does the fancy lawn striping. So I can't tell you how it works for that.
I just mow the lawn.
I'm happy with my VX4. I think it does a nice job and it will really discharge the grass at high mowing speeds.