Put in a new battery and lost power.

Found out today that I have a faulty solenoid. It had passed the screw driver test many times but I guess it was functioning properly at those times.

Can a bad solenoid keep the blades from engaging?

I don't know what screw driver test you used but only one I know of using a screw driver eliminates the solenoid, good or bad.

No, faulty starter solenoid would not affect blades engaging.

Walt Conner
 
Are you sure ?
How did you test it ?
I had 8 solenoids in stock when I bought the repair run 6 years ago and with 300 regular customers most with mowers that are better than 10 years old, still have 6 brand new ones and a dozen 2nd hand ones I flog to the racers who are the only people who seem to burn them out.
 
Thanks for the replies yall. My internet is horrible and I'm just seeing what you all said. The fuse was the first thing I checked and changed a couple weeks ago.

I've still got to read over those two longer replies but I'll holler back asap.
 
Bertsmobile1, thanks for the detailed instructions. I'll do that later today after I get home from work.

Tinkerer200, I had read that if you press a screwdriver to both terminals on the solenoid and your engine turns over then you've got a bad solenoid. I was a bit sceptical but everything you read on the internet is true right? ;)

I can get a different reaction from the mower from one second to the next. I can turn the key and hear a click and it from the solenoid and everything seems normal and then literally 2 seconds later try the key again and everything is dead, and then a minute later it will be fine again... or not.

Looks like I've got a lot left to troubleshoot.
 
"Check and clean the ground wire/cable where it bolts to the frame"

It is well worth a look, it may even just be loose.
 
No power at all from the key or you have battery power just will not start? If have power and will not start with the key could be safety switches or solenoid or other things. Take you a test meter put it on the battery on the ground and take the other side while turning the key to the start wire on the solenoid. It should be 0 because your not starting. Now take that off and put start wire back on. Then run a ground wire from good ground battery to the ground side of the solenoid if it starts you know where your issues lie.
 
Back
Top