Pull cord won't retract

Do the dogs come out when you pull it to engage the flywheel?

I believe they are always engaged until the engine starts, and centrifigal force sends them to neutral. That's why it 'clicks' when the rope retracts and the engine doesn't start..
 
Another thought:

Are you sure when you wound the spring, it's going the right way? I've put it in upside-down more than once......that's why I always put the spring in unwound, and wind it with the spinner!
 
After a Youtube search, I found that the holes in the top of the flywheel are basically self tapping.
I used my steering wheel gear puller, and the flywheel came right off.

The key was sheared, so I'm sure that was the original problem.
So, tomorrow, I'll get a 1/8" by 1/2" half moon key and put it back together.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for all of your input,
Gary
 
Turns out that the key was a molded part of the small flywheel.
I tried to give it a Chinese knurl (tapping it with a drill bit starter punch) but it didn't work.
So, I stripped it for parts, and threw the plastic away.

Better luck next time...

Thanks for all your replies.

Gary
 
Turns out that the key was a molded part of the small flywheel.

Gary

Thats a shame Gary...
too bad you couldn't use a broaching tool to cut a slot inside the flywheel and go back with a piece of square key stock...
sometimes after disassembly you end up with a collection of spare parts for the next job... :thumbsup:
:smile:KennyV
 
My pull cord on the lawn mower would not retract all the way back into the housing after starting. It got to where it took several minutes for it to retract by itself. I removed the housing and inspected everything and all looked fine. Tried oiling things.
Finally I removed the rope mechanism and also the spring underneath it. I disconnected the end of the spring that attached to the engine cover, wrapped the spring around itself one more full turn to increase the tension, put the end of the spring back in the engine cover and replaced everything back the way it was. It retracts well now. I think that after 35 years the retractor lost some of its spring. (After 35 years I have lost some of my spring.)
If you try this be very careful handling the rope retainer and the coiled spring. If it gets away from you there will be an awful mess! So be sure to keep it neatly wound up in a coil the whole time. Also I suggest wearing safety goggles just in case.
 
Back
Top