Propane

Terry CleanFuel

Threads
THAT is Exactly your problem!
Your are one of the most self centered that has came along to these forums in a long time.
No one here has any desire to "prove 'it' to you" or 'change' your opinion, Yet you are a broken record with your one dimensional blather.
I certainly hope you are Not in sales of any kind, as any company having You as a representative would have to constantly overcome the Negative taste You leave behind. Your approach here has been as if this is Your pulpit and You are going to Preach At us until we are converted. Anything that doesn't fit into your narrow view has no validity.
You have done No good for propane that I can see, Fortunately you have Not mentioned the company you work for, so you have not drug them down with you.
Your trite & dated innuendos have Not been well received here. Perhaps your form of 'dialogue' is best used where the audience Has No choice and can Not voice any opposing view.
... .... ...
Now do you Understand? :smile:KennyV

All I've asked thus far is for those who state untruths to list their reference. Thus far none have been able to do so. Yourself included. That makes ME self-centered? I'm sorry you can't find citation for your statements. I've spent many years disproving the fables you preach. Most learn from it. A few such as yourself don't. That's your choice and I respect that but when you quote untruths it's not fair to those individuals who might consider your statements to bear weight without actual fact.

Even then I refuse to judge those who here debate me. Some respectfully, some not. To be honest YOU have made the most sense here and I am familiar with the statements you make. Like any industry alternative fuels evolve as technology allows. What was true even two years ago is no longer the case. It's my job to know cutting-edge advancements. I don't apologize for that.

I refuse to apologize for stating fact vs. conjecture. FWIW I'm sorry some here have outdated views of a fuel that can very-much aid in their success. My company has had nothing but success along with the success of our customers. Chances are (if you are a commercial endeavor) your competitors use it to their advantage.

Thanks to those who have stepped forward asking for more info. Hopefully I've pointed you in the right direction. As always you may email me (or call). I'm happy to help. As for those opposed, well, good luck with that.

As for the group, please feel to continue to ask questions. It's the only way (most of us) learn...

Have a wonderful Holiday Season!

Terry CleanFuel

Threads
from what i gather nether do the rest of us that oppose it Hank

Mike, posts like this don't add anything to the thread.

Debate the post, not the poster. If you find something I've posted that is incorrect feel free to add to the discussion! Really!

That's how we learn. Well, sometimes... :tongue:

briggs

Threads
LIke to convert to propane, but what do you think of this ?

If LPG was so good and cheap, why don稚 we run all our vehicles on it? The truth is, converting a petrol motor to run on gas will lead to more problems than it solves and may cost more in running and repair costs than an unconverted engine.

An unmodified internal combustion engine designed to run on petrol will not perform as well on gas. The most obvious symptom of this is reduced engine power. Gas installers will claim anywhere from 5% to 10% loss but in reality it can be much more, as high as 20% and while you may not notice the difference driving around town, itç—´ on the open road and ascending hills when an LPG fuelled vehicle falls behind. To compensate for reduced engine power, you need to push the motor and this means revving it in lower gears to get up the hills. An engine which is worked harder like this will use up more fuel and wear faster, not to mention the strain on the transmission. A 6 cylinder engine will of course perform better than a 4 and suffer less wear. Don稚 even think about converting a car with an engine capacity less than 2 litres, theyæ±*e too gutless

In addition to the power loss, LPG consumption is greater than petrol. Figures vary considerably depending on whom you talk to but 30% less distance per litre compared to ULP is not an unrealistic figure. It may be cheaper than petrol but you have to fill up more often to travel the same distance.

LPG performance can be improved by fitting a high compression head but this pretty much wrecks the carç—´ ability to run on petrol and then thereç—´ the cost of the replacement head and installation cost. The Engine Management System also needs to be tuned for LPG, thus reducing the motors ability to perform efficiently on petrol.

By far, the worst thing about converting your car to LPG is the head and valve damage it causes. LPG is a dry fuel which ignites at a higher temperature than petrol. The higher temperatures will, repeat, will burn out exhaust valve seats and valves over time. Known as Valve Seat Recession, (VSR) the valve seats recede into the head and cause loss of compression for the affected cylinder. Left untreated, the engine will progressively lose power, use more fuel, idle roughly and stall and tappet damage will occur. When this happens the only solution is to replace the valve seats and valves or even the whole head. Expect in the order of $1500 to $2500 for this to be done. High ignition temperatures can also warp the head, necessitating costly replacement. When a head is replaced on an LPG vehicle, hardened valves and seats must be fitted although there is no guarantee they will last.

VSR can occur surprisingly quickly on some engines, after as little as 50000 Km and there is no way of knowing if your motor is susceptible. LPG vehicle installers will never mention VSR to customers and if pressed will dismiss it as a phenomenon that only affects older engines. Not true. Fitting an upper cylinder lubricant dispenser such as Valve saver is reputed to reduce VSR but once again there is no guarantee. The dispensers must be installed correctly with the outlet line tapped into the inlet manifold after the throttle butterfly in a central position so that the lubricant spray is distributed evenly to all cylinders. Many mechanics simply attach to a vacuum line that only feeds to the 1st couple of cylinders. Many lubricant dispensers are extremely fiddly to set up and require constant adjustment. Often they stop dispensing altogether. There is also the additional ongoing cost of the lubricant to consider.

Valve and head problems are not the only temperature related issues either. Spark plug electrodes burn out, resulting in poor performance and contributing to backfires. Expect to replace your spark plugs every 20000 30000 Km. And by the way, not just any spark plugs will do. For LPG it is recommended that ç”°old plugs be used. The spark gap has to be set shorter as well.

If you are running on LPG all the time (and why wouldnt you after all it is cheaper than petrol) you may find the injectors block up through under use. When switching to petrol, expect rough running, a rich mixture, surging and pinging. Injector cleaning is expensive and if the injectors are kaput, you need to be sitting down when given a quote for replacements.

Still keen to convert? It gets better

The realization you have made a dreadful mistake converting your car to gas occurs when you have a backfire. This is LPGç—´ dirty little secret. Modern engines use an air flow meter as part of the engine management system. It sits just after the air cleaner and essentially tells the management system how well the engine is running. It is a vital piece of equipment. The critical component of the air flow meter is a wafer thin filament about 10 mm long. If LPG in the inlet manifold ignites, we have a backfire which is really an explosion. Not good. The car stops dead, hoses get blown off, the inlet manifold can burst and that delicate little filament is no more. In extreme cases you may throw a timing belt or worse. Much worse.

Your engine management system has registered a catastrophic failure and will probably set itself to æ–—imp home mode If you are lucky enough to get the vehicle going, it will probably go no faster than 80 KPH, idle rough, run hideously rich and is useless for all but a trip to the garage. A replacement meter will cost $750 upwards. Gas is not so cheap after all if you blow several of them. Inexplicably, some vehicles will run OK with a blown meter on LPG but others wont

How can a modern engine backfire? It should not be possible on a fuel injected motor. Most LPG conversions use a single point injection system. LPG in it痴 gaseous form is simply injected into the inlet manifold, like a rudimentary carburetor. When switched to gas the petrol injectors are switched off (this is the main reason they clog, they don稚 get used enough) A number of conditions make backfires happen. Because of the high temperatures, there can be hot spots in the cylinders, namely eroded valve seats, valves and spark plugs. The gas mixture entering the cylinder ignites prematurely before the inlet valve closes and the resulting explosion travels back through the inlet manifold. Incorrect mixture is also another prime cause of backfires. Pumping the accelerator on starting will do it as will an incorrect installation. Some systems, particularly those on factory fitted new cars won稚 start the engine on gas. The motor is started on petrol then switches over. An antibackfire flap can be fitted but there effectiveness is pretty limited. Some people in desperation have cut holes in the inlet manifold and put rubber plugs in them so they blow out or stick on masking tape so it blows before the meter.

Newer so called 4th generation LPG conversions use sequential multipoint injection instead of the single point arrangement. The claim is that all the problems of older systems are eliminated, particularly backfires. The backfire claim may be true but the VSR and performance issues are likely to remain. Fact is, many of the older systems will still be sold to unsuspecting customers and apparently only vehicles manufactured after 2004 are eligible for sequential multipoint kits. The Governments LPG grants scheme also applies for second hand conversions, so the older systems will still be installed for a while yet. Manufacturers and installers have sold single point injection kits for years claiming them to be trouble free so thereç—´ no reason to expect any different from them with the newer systems.

And thereç—´ more?.

LPG conversions are awfully touchy and can go out of tune very easily. The weather is a good example. Your car may run great during the cold dry winter months but come summer it starts playing up. At least every 20000 Km take it in for a gas service and that means more cost.

Power steering and brakes can place a lot of strain on car engines. Itç—´ common for LPG converted vehicles to stall when pulling to a stop and turning. On some vehicles this happens frequently on windy days (seriously). The Oil companies have a different petrol blend for winter and summer. Autogas is the same the year round. The NSW Government spent lots of money converting police vehicles to LPG only to have many of them stall all the time, often during chases.

Not all vehicles are suitable for conversion. If you have a 4 cylinder sedan or hatchback, forget it. There is nowhere to put the tank. Even six cylinder fords and holdens lose cargo space to a gas cylinder. Vans, utes and 4WD usually have room where the spare wheel fits under the rear of the vehicle but you need to find somewhere to put the spare. The gas tank often hangs down and bangs on some driveways. The exhaust may also need to be rerouted which may cost extra. Some gas tanks are now designed to fit the spare wheel well but you still need to stow the wheel.

LPG conversions must be done by an accredited installer, however this is no guarantee the installation will be performed competently. All vehicles are different and require a separate kit for each make and model. It takes years of experience to learn the nuances of LPG conversions and there is no one size fits all installation. Fitting a gas kit to an older motor is going to cost you plenty in the long term unless you retrofit a gas compatible head, with hardened valves and seats

Even without factoring the cost of likely repairs and maintenance. You have to drive an awful lot of K痴 to recover the installation cost. Figures vary but I致e heard 30000 Klm per year. If you drive less than 20000 Kilometres every year it痴 probably not worth it. The irony of the grant is that commercial vehicles that do a lot of travel will be ineligible

SECOND PART COMING WAS TO LONG TO POST

briggs

Threads
Eventually Autogas will not be that cheap anyway. The Government giveth and then it taketh with 12.5 cents excise by 2012. LPG is derived from Natural gas so there is no reason for it to be as expensive as it is considering it all comes from Australian wells. Conversions of course went up in price as soon as the rebate was announced.

OK I am just about finished. As you can see I am not a fan of LPG. I have 2, 2004 model Mazda E2000 vans which were converted just after they were bought. The kits and installation cost $2500 for each van at the time. So far, I estimate running on LPG has cost me $8000 on top of the installation. This for 6 blown air flow meters and a replacement head, not to mention spark plugs, valve saver lubricant and extra service costs.

The mechanic who fitted the systems is a licensed accredited vehicle LPG installer who completely stuffed up the installations. After the first backfire he couldnt identify that the air flow meter had blown and couldnt stop it happening again. He incorrectly fitted the valve saver dispensers and the vans were always stalling. Eventually I found another LPG mechanic who fixed things. The original installer is still in business and despite gaining a reputation for incompetent LPG fittings is doing a roaring trade, especially after the Governments rebate announcement.

If you still insist on converting to LPG. Do your homework. Do not trust the word of an LPG fitter. Find out if your vehicle is suitable. Dont bother fitting to a 4 cylinder motor of less than 2 litre capacity. Can you fit a sequential multiport system? Speak to different mechanics. You may be in for a shock after talking to some real experts.

here is more

5. The Tax Credit for Propane is a Joke

17 Dollars

In theory, the government will cover 50% of the cost of converting your car or truck to propane. In practice, however, they値l cover $500, which isn稚 enough (see disadvantages 1-3, again). If it was enough, you壇 see a bunch of propane conversions. It痴 not. Ergo, you don稚.

Here痴 the actual DOE wording on the AFV Conversion Tax Credit for your perusal

Alternative Fuel Vehicle (AFV) Conversion Tax Credit

Businesses or individuals are eligible for an income tax credit of up to 50% of the equipment and labor costs for converting vehicles to operate using alternative fuels. Qualified alternative fuels are compressed and liquefied natural gas, liquefied petroleum gas (propane), hydrogen, electricity, and fuels containing at least 85% ethanol, methanol, ether, or another alcohol. The maximum credit is $500 for the conversion of vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 10,000 pounds (lbs) or less, and $1,000 for vehicles with a GVWR of more than 10,000 lbs. The credit is only available during the year that the business or entity converts the vehicle. An alternative fuel seller may not receive a credit for converting its own vehicles to operate on the alternative fuel they sell. (Reference Montana Code Annotated 15-30-2320)

and let me tell you, that is a shining example of a law about cars written by and for people know less about cars than I do about how to turn blogging into a six-figure income

One disadvantage with propane is if you use these vehicles in extremely cold weather (think -30 C or below) you have to avoid parking garages. The sudden temperature change of going from -30 to +5 can cause the propane to gain pressure so rapidly it activates the propane tank痴 safety valve, which is not only wasteful but also (duh) dangerous.

It痴 a law in Ontario that you can稚 park them indoors as well. Propane is heavier than air so it can linger along the ground should a leak occur.

Twenty years ago they tried to convert the Oshawa police cars over. The Cops didn稚 like the lack of power. Initial cost was high. The Taxi people used to buy up the old cruisers. The Cabbies would not go go near the propane vehicles. I don稚 know why. I do know that the Region scrapped the whole idea.

i knew a guy in the mid-80s who had a Dodge van that had been converted to propane.

That thing was a bear to start the minute temperatures started to drop.

if u get crappy fuel it would fill the sys full of crap and u would have to do this clean all the safety valves , pressure regulators , heat exchangers and arburators were often filled with rust silt until they simply stop working .

The fix was always simple : take everything apart and blow/wipe out the accumulated red dust / chips , replace the seals & O-Rings then re assemble ~ then came the fun part :

The air flow wand in the carby is *very* sensitive and although it had a 5″ long adjustment travel , more than 180ー a turn of the screw off the sweet spot meant the engine refused to start no matter what .

So , you have to find the spec. of how many turns from one end & adjust it *carefully* , start it up and warm it up then connect to the smog machine and dial it in ever so carefully ,

The contractors used to convert them by the hundreds for fleet use in the Canadian oil patch. They would disappear for 36 months, then return without the propane conversion, which I assumed was re-installed on the new vehicles. The fact that the dealers weren稚 screaming about warranty costs told me someone in the field was maintaining them. I also assumed that a knowledgeable field mechanic could keep them working ..Were did they go

This is just some of the stuff i found i can find tons more

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
This is not facts. Can you post a link to where you found this?
Only I know the real facts.
Thought I would save him time and post this for him.

briggs

Threads
This is not facts. Can you post a link to where you found this?
Only I know the real facts.
Thought I would save him time and post this for him.

i can do that lol just thought i would weed out the BS ..But yes i will post all the links when i get back home from the shop tonight

Terry CleanFuel

Threads
I'm not going anywhere...

Reference to cylinder head damage tells me this info's at least 15 years old though.

BTW, when you "cut and paste" paste into Word first then copy and paste from there. Just trying to help...

Terry CleanFuel

Threads
Missouri PERC... Did I mention my company converts MOWERS? I had to check the name of this forum again.

I'll leave it to Roush and the Major Manufacturers to convert vehicles. I have, however, driven a propane-powered vehicle for the last ten years without problem. Perhaps having them done here would make a difference? I don't know. It's not my area of expertise...

Attachments

• Mo perc.jpg
    Mo perc.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 9

briggs

Threads
I'm not going anywhere...

Reference to cylinder head damage tells me this info's at least 15 years old though.

BTW, when you "cut and paste" paste into Word first then copy and paste from there. Just trying to help...

it was from 2008 and up smarty paints And yes u are correct i did copy and paste( using my phone sorry ) boy u are smart lol did u go to school for that to ....But as i said I will post links when i get home i found about 30 plus saying its crap

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Can you please post all the study's and data to back up what you are saying.

This is like talking Politics or the bible you can twist things so they mean what you want them to