Problem with mower deck/PTO safety switch. Need help..

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / Problem with mower deck/PTO safety switch. Need help..
Yeah, I worked solo at a mower shop, or a hardware store, and come April, the rednecks were rolling in like mad. And since I as also the phone girl, parts guy, mechanic,
and the guy that everyone biatched at, I was always on "damage control" mode...

So if a local redneck had a mower, that the only complaint was not cranking/starting when turning the key, I just would bend that tab back, so they would drive away and leave me alone. I wouldn't charge them, and that was part of the deal.
They would leave me alone, and come back when they had a real problem...

The one winter when our county had an "ice storm", I got real nasty.

wilburn cox

Threads
I believe Fish is talking about the tab that the switch mounts on. I have removed the switch from the tab, and bend the tab slightly and then reinstalled the switch to fix your exact problem.

Thanks,ILENGINE; The switch mounts upright (button up) on the floor of mower with 2 small self tapping screws about 2 inches inside the mower side frame. Very hard to install because the screws are small and hard to get to. I find no tab to bend. As I said, with mower deck off, the lift lever works perfectly in the disengage position and switch checks out fine with OHM meter. With lever in disengage position the engine will start. With lever in any of the height adjustment slots the engine will not start because the switch is working properly.
With mower deck installed I have to pull back hard on the lift lever in disengage position. Quite a puzzle.

Thanks for your suggestion. I appreciate any help I can get.
Red Cox.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Like I said, bend the little metal triangle shaped tab on the "lever back!!!! Just a hair, until it depresses the button enough!!!!!

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
can you take a pic of the deck height indicator?

wilburn cox

Threads
Well there is an adjustment knuckle on the threaded rod by the steering under the gas tank, if it is like most of them. A quick fix for the not cranking problem, is just bending the metal tab that goes into the deck height slots so it fully depresses the switch.

Fish; It stopped raining so I went to the shop and looked at the lift lever and the height slots. On this mower the tab which goes into the height slots is a triangle shaped piece of steel 1/8" thick. It is welded on the lift lever. This tab doesn't touch the safety switch. Switch button is depressed by a thick piece of metal which is on the right side of the lift shaft assembly.

Appreciate your help
Red Cox

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yeah, but that triangle piece of steel determines how far the lever travels, so bending that tab a hair makes the lever depress the button a little more, and many times cures the problem.... Cause/effect....

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Pull back the lever, and bend that triangle a hair, just for fun, bend it back so it makes the deck depress the switch button more....

wilburn cox

Threads
can you take a pic of the deck height indicator?

Fish; I'm sorry. I have no idea how to take pics, load on computer and place them here. I am trying to figure out a way to, possibly, email you the owners manual (single sheet) that shows schematic of the deck lowering and raising parts. I copied the sheet to a file and typed notes pointing out several points but so far my notes do not remain on the sheet when printing.

I'll keep working on it and please don't think this 74 year old man is stupid..

Thanks a bunch
Red Cox

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
The height indicator for your deck looks similar to this, correct?

The tab on the lever that rides in these slots, take a crescent wrench and bend that tab a little, so it will fully depress the switch's button When you pull the lever to the top position.

Yes it is cheating....... But better than replacing a bunch of obsolete parts......

wilburn cox

Threads
The height indicator for your deck looks similar to this, correct?

The tab on the lever that rides in these slots, take a crescent wrench and bend that tab a little, so it will fully depress the switch's button When you pull the lever to the top position.

Yes it is cheating....... But better than replacing a bunch of obsolete parts......

Thanks again Fish; I will check this out on Monday 10/20/2014. today we have to go to Abilene for ball game. Middle grandson is in ROTC and will be marching. Gotta see him...
Have a great week end.
Red Cox