Problem with mower deck/PTO safety switch. Need help..

wilburn cox

Threads
  • / Problem with mower deck/PTO safety switch. Need help..
I have a Montgomery Wards Signature 2000 Elite Mower. Mower was made by MTD. Wards model # is TMO3000A. Serial # 87-000-7837.
MTD cross over model # is 131A670G000.
I have correct owners manual with parts list and all schematics. Over the years I have had the mower deck off several times to replace blade spindle, belts and blades. A problem began, possibly, after removing and reinstalling the deck. The deck lift lever would not disengage the blade safety switch unless I jerked back hard on the lift lever. I removed the safety switch and checked it with OHM meter and the switch was a little iffy for continuity at certain points. I installed a new switch AND still had the same problem.
With mower deck off and the lift lever in disengage position the safety switch works perfectly. The lift lever makes perfect contact with the switch button and continuity checks perfect. I tried this several times, lowering the lift lever then bringing back to disengage position. Works perfect.
My manual says that with deck lift lever in disengage position the deck should move up and forward. I'm not sure this is all working properly. There is a large very strong spring which is 7.58" long that goes from the deck stabilizer bracket and stretches back and attaches to a bracket on the left part of the transmission. Page # 11 of manual shows this forward part of spring attaching in bottom hole of left arm of stabilizer shaft assembly. Page # 27 seems to show the forward end of spring slipping over a rod in the rear bottom of stabilizer shaft assembly.

With deck installed I just can't determine what is causing the problem with the deck disengaging with the lift lever.
Any help will be appreciated and I will try to respond to all suggestions.

Thanks, Red Cox

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Are you saying that the engine won't crank unless you pull way back on the lever? Or that the deck won't move forward enough to stop the blades from turning in the disengage position?

wilburn cox

Threads
Are you saying that the engine won't crank unless you pull way back on the lever? Or that the deck won't move forward enough to stop the blades from turning in the disengage position?

Hi Fish; The engine won't crank unless I jerk way back hard on the lever. Also the blades continue to turn for a short while after moving lever to disengage position. The blade brake pads were worn very thin so I have new ones and will replace them.

Thanks for quickly coming back to me. I appreciate it.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well there is an adjustment knuckle on the threaded rod by the steering under the gas tank, if it is like most of them. A quick fix for the not cranking problem, is just bending the metal tab that goes into the deck height slots so it fully depresses the switch.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
I just use a crescent wrench for that, best metal benders ever made......

wilburn cox

Threads
Well there is an adjustment knuckle on the threaded rod by the steering under the gas tank, if it is like most of them. A quick fix for the not cranking problem, is just bending the metal tab that goes into the deck height slots so it fully depresses the switch.

Thanks again Fish. The lift lever is on the right side of mower and there are slots for setting the mowing height. Is the metal tab you are talking about on the lift lever? On this mower, the part that depresses the switch button is built on (welded) to the lift lever, This piece is thick metal. With deck off the mower and lift liver in dis engage position the switch button is completely depressed and works perfectly. Do not have to pull back hard. Lever moves very easily.

It is pouring rain here in Stephenville TX. I will look at metal tab you suggested on Monday.

Thanks again for your help;
Red cox

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I believe Fish is talking about the tab that the switch mounts on. I have removed the switch from the tab, and bend the tab slightly and then reinstalled the switch to fix your exact problem.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Naw, I just bend the tab on the handle.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Makes the switch plunger full press in.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Either way works I guess.