PP4620AVX

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Don't sell yourself short, my friend. You're a guru at this. It sounds like you came by it the hard way. I can't imagine all those frankenmowers you started out on.
There's a couple of good facebook pages that are solely small engine techs. They don't really allow questions like "My mower only turns 1/2 way then stops." If someone posts that, they'll be told pretty quick to take it to a small engine shop. Simply because most of us have shops. And DIY's, are a double whammy. They either fix their own stuff. Or they screw it up so bad, that many shops won't even touch it without charging full price for every minute.

BTW, that whole "forgetting what you had for breakfast" thing. Yup, happens all the time. I think I spend more time looking for something I just laid down, then I do actually fixing things. At least it seems that way sometimes.

Not a Guru, just standing on the shoulders of others.
Just about everything I have posted I have learned for some one else and have found they worked .
Yes I sat for hours watching Taryl & Donny Boy from video no 1 all the way through to where they were
Then there was Joe Pace for cube carbs, Dirt Drive way mechanic, shade tree mechanic and a few more I have forgoten
I have a problem with Steve's Saloon cause booze & wrenching don't go together

AS for forgetting where you lay things down, you say "the carb is on the ( mill table , whatever ) " as you put it down and you will remember where you left it.
Better if said aloud but only if you are by yourself at the time .

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Don't sell yourself short, my friend. You're a guru at this. It sounds like you came by it the hard way. I can't imagine all those frankenmowers you started out on.
There's a couple of good facebook pages that are solely small engine techs. They don't really allow questions like "My mower only turns 1/2 way then stops." If someone posts that, they'll be told pretty quick to take it to a small engine shop. Simply because most of us have shops. And DIY's, are a double whammy. They either fix their own stuff. Or they screw it up so bad, that many shops won't even touch it without charging full price for every minute.

BTW, that whole "forgetting what you had for breakfast" thing. Yup, happens all the time. I think I spend more time looking for something I just laid down, then I do actually fixing things. At least it seems that way sometimes.
The 10mm socket always disappears

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
AS for forgetting where you lay things down, you say "the carb is on the ( mill table , whatever ) " as you put it down and you will remember where you left it.
I have to disagree with this especially when it comes to my glasses. I lay them down and sometimes I only remember where I put them when I hear the crunch. I have lost several pairs that way. Now I always keep a second pair in a secure location as I am legally blind without them. But they are too strong for up close work and the 10x loupe is a manual version that I use for inspections.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The usual reason why you forget when you put some thing right now is your mind was fully occupied with some thing else .
That is why the addressing where you put them works and why it works best if you vocalize it .
This assuming that your short term memory is in fact funtioning.
It is a teaching trick that Tarly often uses when he has conversations with tools or other objects
So when he says hello to Mr 10 mil that is fixing the fact that you need a 10mm in your mind
I noticed it in one video , I think it was doing valve lash on a Vanguard where the adjuster is Metric not Unified because it was designed in Japan, a metric country .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Sometimes times I do get multitask overload. Working on equipment , looking up IPL and service manuals, answering the phone, and at the same time dealing with an on-site customer. That usually get beyond my doing 10 things at the same time limit.

Sometimes things do also get lost in the cobwebs of my mind as I navigate through 40+ years of repair memory. Some of those halls haven't any movement in years. I just ran into a problem I haven't seen in 30 yrs last week. Boy was I fighting those heavy cobwebs as I knew I had done repair before just finding the details was the problem.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
One thing I have learned over the years is to put my glasses in just certain places. Reach in the truck window and put on the dash, never anywhere out side. On the drill press beside the workbench, if under the hood they go in my pocket, and so on. Those things are expensive!

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
One thing I have learned over the years is to put my glasses in just certain places. Reach in the truck window and put on the dash, never anywhere out side. On the drill press beside the workbench, if under the hood they go in my pocket, and so on. Those things are expensive!

Funny you should mention that. I just got back from the dollar store with a 3 pack of +1.75's because I just can't find my readers.
But now that I have 3 pair, I'll find the ones I lost before the days out.