PP4620AVX

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm about to take a sledge hammer to this and this darn screwed up routing for a throttle cable. I finally figured it out. Gonna charge the customer an extra 1/5 hr for bringing it in already disassembled. He's probably thinking I'm gonna give him a 1/2hr discount.

That is all.

Tourette syndrome really kicked in on this one. UGH!!!!!!

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
One of those cockroach poulans.
You ALWAYS charge the time it takes figure out the jigsaw puzzle THEY took apart and then brought you. I had an older gentleman bring me a Stihl MS440 in a box. It had a scored cylinder and his son disassembled the saw and never got around to trying to finish it. 3 other shops refused to work on it. I got a P&C kit and assembled it for him. A few hundred dollars to fix a $800 saw.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
One of those cockroach poulans.
You ALWAYS charge the time it takes figure out the jigsaw puzzle THEY took apart and then brought you. I had an older gentleman bring me a Stihl MS440 in a box. It had a scored cylinder and his son disassembled the saw and never got around to trying to finish it. 3 other shops refused to work on it. I got a P&C kit and assembled it for him. A few hundred dollars to fix a $800 saw.

Sometimes dads will pay extra for stuff like this, just to remind the son how much it cost to fix his screw up.

BTW, if anyone has a 530036098 (trigger lock), I can use one. This one was missing that. It's obsolete and can't find one on ebay or amazon.

1609997023588.png

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I actually charge extra for having to undo others work and that include units that are disassembly. I have done every since a customer brought in his Murray rider into the shop in several boxes and he bitched because I charged him $50 for a days reassembly. I should had charged him for the 8 hrs it took and I so told him the repair bill should have been $240 at the time. My rates are higher now. What it initially would have been 1 hr job to replace the drive belt.

As for the throttle lock out it is NLA and you will probably just remove the broken part. Yes I understand it is a safety device but when you can't get it, it is a have to case to bypass it or kill the whole saw.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I actually charge extra for having to undo others work and that include units that are disassembly. I have done every since a customer brought in his Murray rider into the shop in several boxes and he bitched because I charged him $50 for a days reassembly. I should had charged him for the 8 hrs it took and I so told him the repair bill should have been $240 at the time. My rates are higher now. What it initially would have been 1 hr job to replace the drive belt.

As for the throttle lock out it is NLA and you will probably just remove the broken part. Yes I understand it is a safety device but when you can't get it, it is a have to case to bypass it or kill the whole saw.

I never charge a customer extra for things I don't know. If I had done one of these before, chances are I'd know how the throttle cable was routed. I can't charge for the two guesses I made before getting it right.

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Some customers will take advantage of this as they are repeat offenders.

But I understand not knowing exactly how goes together which it is much easier if I or you do it to get the real problem. I am disassembling a Stihl 009 to the ignition coil high tension lead. Its quite involved and service manual hits the high points. Looking to take a half day just to get it done.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Don't think that because you take time to put a jigsaw puzzle back together that you did not take apart that you need to give a customer a discount on your time. Just remember that they do not have the skillset or the time to do it themselves and they should be expecting to pay to have someone figure it out. ALL of your time is worth something. I have lots of tools to make me faster. Customers need to pay for those tools and those tool come out of your labor. Some folks think $98/hr dealer labor is too much and some folks think my $40/hr is too much. Some folks don't want to pay for troubleshooting time. Repair shops don't need these people. Don't take money out of your pocket to be a nice guy for a normal customer. Always fun to have someone refered to you because you are supposed to be cheap and when you tell them $40/hr and they act like you accosted their daughter. You have a nice day sir. I have screwed up and had to redo things and that time is on me.