Please help me purchase a new mower to mow 1/2 acre. I have specific requirements.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / Please help me purchase a new mower to mow 1/2 acre. I have specific requirements.
Ric, thanks!

Here is the yard in question. My only concern with the riding mowers is the distance between the trees. The lady at the dealer suggested the cub cadet as well and said I may need a cheap mower to do small sections, or just get the Honda as you described.

Yeah the Cub Cadet can handle that, as far as the concern for the trees I'd invest in a good Trimmer. The Stihl FS 90 or maybe the FS 70 Stihl

1striper1

Threads
  • / Please help me purchase a new mower to mow 1/2 acre. I have specific requirements.

1striper1

Threads
Alaska Guy - where in AK may I ask? My oldest son is stationed at Elmendorf AFB in Anchorage.

1striper1

Threads
I wasn't trying to criticize but with 6 bad discs in your back and a torn shoulder/bicep the last place I would want to be is on any type of mower. I don't think a lawn tractor will meet your requirements, a garden Tractor maybe. Something like the CC XTI 50 inch cut with the Kohler 25 HP may do what you want and would ride a whole lot better but your talking more money, I think there running between $2600 to $3000 depending on where you buy. I'd also look at the Kubota dealer and see what they offer. I'd stay away from the others.

Ric - with all due respect to your experience and being a Mod and such, why won't a lawn tractor do what he needs? We all have our likes and dislikes (my likes are Kawi engines and non-sealed hydro's) but when you're in this price range you have to take the best of what you can get. I've been in sales for going on 30 years and I will never upsell anybody.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
From what I read on Hydro-Gears website the fluid on the EZT's CAN be changed.

http://www.hydro-gear.com/Main/docs/service-repair-manuals/ezt-(zt-2100-2200).pdf

The EZT Transaxle is factory sealed and does not require oil maintenance. says that in the pdf . If something happens to the oil and it needs to be replaced you have to remove the drive system completely from the mower dump the oil out and replace it. Now with that said if the oil is contaminated you really need to find out why and for that you have to take apart the case and find out why and keep in mind that all the seals will need to be replaced. Personally I'm not going through all that when all I have to do is pull an oil filter and drain a unit and replace the filter and refill the unit on the machine.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ric - with all due respect to your experience and being a Mod and such, why won't a lawn tractor do what he needs? We all have our likes and dislikes (my likes are Kawi engines and non-sealed hydro's) but when you're in this price range you have to take the best of what you can get. I've been in sales for going on 30 years and I will never upsell anybody.

I said the Cub Cadet XT1 can handle that, as far as the concern for the trees I'd invest in a good Trimmer. The Stihl FS 90 or maybe the FS 70 Stihll. I also said earlier With the mowers you listed the Cub Cadet XT1 would be my first choice, The Honda would be second both would be good mowers.

1striper1

Threads
The EZT Transaxle is factory sealed and does not require oil maintenance. says that in the pdf . If something happens to the oil and it needs to be replaced you have to remove the drive system completely from the mower dump the oil out and replace it. Now with that said if the oil is contaminated you really need to find out why and for that you have to take apart the case and find out why and keep in mind that all the seals will need to be replaced. Personally I'm not going through all that when all I have to do is pull an oil filter and drain a unit and replace the filter and refill the unit on the machine.

C'mon Rick....be a better adviser to us homeowners and stop posting only what you think is important. Look at the Index in the PDF then go to page 11 and read the instructions for changing the fluid. How many hours is he going to put on the ZTR per year....15? At least one can change the hydro oil every 3-4 years and keep it fresh. Without looking at the specs for the lawn tractors he's listed, I'd bet the only way you can change the hydro fluid is by physically removing the tranny and that is not something most folks want to do.

1striper1

Threads
I said the Cub Cadet XT1 can handle that, as far as the concern for the trees I'd invest in a good Trimmer. The Stihl FS 90 or maybe the FS 70 Stihll. I also said earlier With the mowers you listed the Cub Cadet XT1 would be my first choice, The Honda would be second both would be good mowers.

Yes the Cub Cadet fits the bill as well as a good lighweight trimmer. Is there a V-twin Kohler (I know you like Kohler's) on any of these that doesn't have a 50" deck. IMO...I'll take a 19hp Twin over a 19 hp single any day of the week plus the 8th day King Obama wants to add to help pay for his social programs.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
C'mon Rick....be a better adviser to us homeowners and stop posting only what you think is important. Look at the Index in the PDF then go to page 11 and read the instructions for changing the fluid. How many hours is he going to put on the ZTR per year....15? At least one can change the hydro oil every 3-4 years and keep it fresh. Without looking at the specs for the lawn tractors he's listed, I'd bet the only way you can change the hydro fluid is by physically removing the tranny and that is not something most folks want to do.

Hours have nothing to do with it, Hydro Gear themselves in there pdf Page 11 say:

The EZT Transaxle is a sealed unit and does not require oil maintenance. However, in the event of oil contamination or degradation, oil addition or change may alleviate certain performance problems.
1. Remove the transaxle from the vehicle.
noTe: if removing the wheel from the
transaxle, do so by removing the four (4)
lug nuts. do not remove the axle/hub nut.
2. Clean the oil fill port area of any debris.
3. Remove the oil fill port fitting.
4. Position the transaxle so the oil will drain
completely out of the housing.
5. Fill the transaxle at the oil fill port according
to Figure 4.
6. Install the oil fill port fitting.
7. Purging will be required. Refer to the purging
procedures on Page 12.
8. Recheck the fluid level once the unit has
been operated for approximately 1 minute.

As far as the 50" deck goes the op posted a link for the XT1 42" with the 18hp Kohler and that's what I commented on and it's probably enough for what he needs.