over seeding for bare spots from dog urine

corvairbob

Threads
ok it seems i have spots from the dogs peeing in the yard. is there a grass that is tolerant to this? if so what type and can t be spread over the existing lawn or will ihave to till the lawn under and start over? it is pointless to just reseed the spots because as soon as i do they will just find another spot. they do not have a favorite spot but they do have a favorite area. plus one female seems to like to over pee on the other females spot so then i get a double wammy in that spot every time they do there thing.

i did some internet research and it seems that scotts turf builder grass seed tall fescue mix is on choice. unless there is a better seed that will work with a low maintenance.
i cut the grass at the 3 to 4" setting on the rider. and i do not water every day or even every other day my system i set to tuesday and friday for a 60 min watering at 10 pm the lawn does not seem any worse for wear with that system.

anyway can i get some seed and spread it out now in the fall and have it grow over winter in muskegon mi and expect to see the new grass in the spring? or should i wait until spring and sped what ever seed might do the job of glowing without having to till it in.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Dog pee knocks the pH down to buggery so you need an "Acid loving / tollerant" grass that will survive in your climate conditions
Most lush grasses like "sweet" soils so grow best in alkaline soils .
I am in OZ so what grows here will be no help to you over there
Apart from that you can apply a lot of water
Pee is also quite saline so you are also looking for a costal grass that will handle salt

corvairbob

Threads
yes i can water the dickens out of the areas but that becomes high maintenance. so much that turning the back yard into sand would be better. that is why i'm looking for grass that can take this abuse. thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Hopefully some one will chime in with US grasses
Even if we ave the same grasses here they will be a different name
IT would be a help if you revealed your rough location as well being that what grows well in Texas or Arizona might not be particularly well suited for Florida or Montanna

corvairbob

Threads
i did say my location in the last part but muskeon michigan. i also stated scotts turf builder grass seed tall fescue is the local stores choice and also for the scotts website, however there may be a better choice. i did watch a YT for zoisa grass but that may not do well as it take a long time to grow from seed. i tried the plugs one time and i did not see much from them.

amendez9091

Forum Newbie
Threads
I did the Scott’s Turf Builder sun/shade mix (northwestern Illinois) and those seeds mix (fescue, bluegrass, etc) and it helped out tremendously.

corvairbob

Threads
Last edited:

amendez9091

Forum Newbie
Threads
thanks i wonder if lowes has that? i can look on there site and see. i want to get this done soon as i have leaves now on the grass and i can over seed by hand or use my spreader and get it mostly covered before the leave fully cover the grass. thanks

i found this at lowes what do you think of this one to do what i need to do?
That will work too but the Scott’s fall mix has seeds that can germinate at a lower temperature than some of the “summer” mixes

corvairbob

Threads
i did not see that type at lowes and home depo had something similar but not the exact mix. lowes is like 2 miles away and home depo about 14 miles but i may have to pay them a visit if i do find that exact mix in there online site. it looks like Lowes does have it so i will stop and see. it says 15# covers up to 6000 sq' i have 3500 sq' so that should be plenty. i will cut the lawn to 1" and bag that and then sow and we are due for lots of rain this weekend and next week to help. so i will see next year if it di any good. i will take the bad areas and at least chop them and turn the soil to get better dirt to the top. then the bulk of the leaves should do a good job of mulching them over winter. thanks
'
'

Last edited:

devoraharvey

Forum Newbie
Threads
Top Dogs' lawn care and mowing services are more than just maintenance; they're a symphony of precision and greenery. With an expert touch, they sculpt lawns into lush canvases, offering meticulous care that goes beyond the surface. It's not just about trimming; it's a tailored approach to nurture healthy, vibrant lawns. Top Dogs doesn't cut corners; they sculpt them, turning each mow into an art form. For a lawn that speaks volumes without saying a word, Top Dogs is the maestro of meticulous care, ensuring your green space stands a cut above the rest.