Opinions on Scag Patriot for 2 acre homeowner

JPE

Threads
Yeah garden cart should be fine within reasonable limits.

Yep, I’m certainly not intending to try and load rocks or other heavy items. Do you still think he TC II would be better than the Patriot in that regard?

250 pound towing limit on all Scag ZTRs. These machine are not made to tow heavy loads as the hydrostatic drives are designed for low torque higher speeds.

So if I tow less than the 250 pound limit and I don’t do it too frequently, is there any advantage to the heavier duty hydros/pumps on the TC II vs. the Patriot?

cruzenmike

Threads
If you plan to pull a plug aerator with a zero turn, you are setting yourself up for failure; literally a hydrostatic failure. An aerator is classified as a "ground-engaging" attachment in which most if not ALL zero turns are NOT rated for. As for the cart, about 150 lbs should be the max. None of this takes into account any type of terrain. If you pull a 100 lb cart up a short 10 degree incline it could be like pulling 500 lbs on flat land (I don't know the math but I hope you get what I am saying). It is for this reason that most of the zero turns out there do not have a hitch. Those that do, it's a mistake. Zero Turns are lawn cutting machines only and should be treated as such!

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
For yard duty I think you'll be fine with the Patriot. For farm duty I think you'd be asking for trouble. That's what I was trying to say.

JPE

Threads
If you plan to pull a plug aerator with a zero turn, you are setting yourself up for failure; literally a hydrostatic failure. An aerator is classified as a "ground-engaging" attachment in which most if not ALL zero turns are NOT rated for. As for the cart, about 150 lbs should be the max. None of this takes into account any type of terrain. If you pull a 100 lb cart up a short 10 degree incline it could be like pulling 500 lbs on flat land (I don't know the math but I hope you get what I am saying). It is for this reason that most of the zero turns out there do not have a hitch. Those that do, it's a mistake. Zero Turns are lawn cutting machines only and should be treated as such!

Gotcha, thanks.

For yard duty I think you'll be fine with the Patriot. For farm duty I think you'd be asking for trouble. That's what I was trying to say.

But really any ZTR is asking for trouble doing farm duty. A tractor's the right machine for that job. So I really shouldn't consider that an advantage of the TC II.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Blah. 1900 hours on my Lazer Z HP with no hydro issues. That's with one oil and filter change at 500 hours. It's pulled a 4 foot plug aerator weighted down with rocks for days at a time, dragged heavy tarps full of debris, dragged roped-up brush piles, bulldozed mountains of leaves and pulled plenty of mulch in a dump cart. And it doesn't even have hydro cooling fans. HG 10cc pumps and Parker/Ross wheel motors. Sorry but I do not think hydros are that fragile.

cruzenmike

Threads
Blah. 1900 hours on my Lazer Z HP with no hydro issues. That's with one oil and filter change at 500 hours. It's pulled a 4 foot plug aerator weighted down with rocks for days at a time, dragged heavy tarps full of debris, dragged roped-up brush piles, bulldozed mountains of leaves and pulled plenty of mulch in a dump cart. And it doesn't even have hydro cooling fans. HG 10cc pumps and Parker/Ross wheel motors. Sorry but I do not think hydros are that fragile.

I guess it would all depend on the durability of separate pumps and motors vs integrated ones. It very well could be that the HG 3100's or 3400's can handle more than what's in your machine. But the question becomes, does your single experience warrant recommending to a perspective buyer, purchasing a machine to use for things to which A) it is not intended and B) the manufacturer will not warranty when it fails?

Hey, we're all here to help, but nobody should offer up advise on anyone doing anything that is unsafe or is outside of the manufacturer's recommendations!!

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
I guess it would all depend on the durability of separate pumps and motors vs integrated ones. It very well could be that the HG 3100's or 3400's can handle more than what's in your machine. But the question becomes, does your single experience warrant recommending to a perspective buyer, purchasing a machine to use for things to which A) it is not intended and B) the manufacturer will not warranty when it fails?

Hey, we're all here to help, but nobody should offer up advise on anyone doing anything that is unsafe or is outside of the manufacturer's recommendations!!

Exactly Mike. That's why I wanted to make sure he was planning to just use it for light duty work. :smile:

People put plow blades, snowblowers, rotary brooms, tow-behind leaf collection systems and other implements on Z mowers all the time with good results. I've only got a JRCO front tine-rake detchatcher for mine, but prefer it on my walk behind. But saying that Z mowers are only designed for mowing is misleading IMO. No it's not a garden tractor or compact utility tractor, but you can use accessories with Z mowers without issues, within reason. Mower manufacturers sell them specifically for their machines! You just have to use your head and know the difference between use and abuse.

Edit: Check this out. This machine is factory equipped with a 5 foot snow blade. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQcBOGGIKX8

Check out Dixie Chopper, Grasshopper and Walker too. They ALL SELL FACTORY GROUND-ENGAGING EQUIPMENT FOR THEIR HYDRO ZERO-TURN MOWERS. I think my advice is sound...

Last edited:

cruzenmike

Threads
Exactly Mike. That's why I wanted to make sure he was planning to just use it for light duty work. :smile:

People put plow blades, snowblowers, rotary brooms, tow-behind leaf collection systems and other implements on Z mowers all the time with good results. I've only got a JRCO front tine-rake detchatcher for mine, but prefer it on my walk behind. But saying that Z mowers are only designed for mowing is misleading IMO. No it's not a garden tractor or compact utility tractor, but you can use accessories with Z mowers without issues, within reason. Mower manufacturers sell them specifically for their machines! You just have to use your head and know the difference between use and abuse.

Edit: Check this out. This machine is factory equipped with a 5 foot snow blade. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQcBOGGIKX8

Check out Dixie Chopper, Grasshopper and Walker too. They ALL SELL FACTORY GROUND-ENGAGING EQUIPMENT FOR THEIR HYDRO ZERO-TURN MOWERS. I think my advice is sound...

As with all machines it's got to be the right one for what you're doing.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
As with all machines it's got to be the right one for what you're doing.
Agreed, and that's why I recommended that he go with the commercial TC II if his machine was going to be used for "farm duty".

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
The TC II has a 250 pound towing limit as do most or all Scag ZTRs. It really is a matter of how ZTRs steer and stop more than the gross weight of the towed load. When traction of either rear tire is lost, what happens to the towed load? ZTRs have a strong tendency to slide sideways as there is no control of the front wheels. ZTRs can slide forward down hills even with good traction of the rear tires and this is why many of us ZTR operators will back the machine down the hill and mow up, it takes more time but easier than going into the street, a wall or the woods.:confused2:
I have a JRCO double row tine de-thatcher attachment for my Tiger Cub with collection system, super performing attachment when coupled with a collection system.