Opinion on buying a Lawn Boy

dewguy1999

Threads
You can stabilize these cracks by drilling a small hole at each end of each crack (this relieves stress and prevents them from spreading), and putting a bolt washers and nut in each hole. Use locktite on bolt threads. Make sure your use short bolts that don't interfere with blade underneath. If you then repaint, it will hardly be noticed. I love the 19" size Lawnboy mowers. I have 3.

Would a pop rivet work instead of bolt and nut?

Vervepipes

Threads
I just replied to an add for another 19, this time a 1980 5277, These seem to popping up like crazy lately. I was the second visitor to the add so hopefully I was the first to respond. Waiting impatiently now because there was no phone number, just email. This one also has a manual but it also has a bag. I could put together one sweet mower with the other 2 I have, and have a spare to sell.

Vervepipes

Threads
I parted out the one with the corroded deck and replaced a few parts on my runner with the possibly crocked deck. Looks nice now. I'll pull it into the basement for a good cleaning over the winter, re-gasket the carb and strip the paint off. I hope to get a good assessment of the cracks and maybe have it welded before spring, if it is indeed cracked and not just a casting flaw. New paint and clear coat in the sprring and it'll be good for another 40 years, given that I now have a complete spare F100 sitting on a shelf in case of emergency.

graydog

Threads
1973 is not so old. I have a 1960 Lawn boy with grass catcher I bought new in 1960. It runs good and I use it every year to mow around the back door of the house. I always cut off the tank valve and run it until it dies. I then turn it completely upside down to empty the tank. It usually starts on the third pull with the choke pulled. It has always been store in the shed. I'm wondering if it will last another 54 years, but since I am 78, I will be gone before then. :laughing:

(Click on thumbnail photo to enlarge)

1960 Lawn Boy 2014.png

unclelee

Threads
1973 is not so old. I have a 1960 Lawn boy with grass catcher I bought new in 1960. It runs good and I use it every year to mow around the back door of the house. I always cut off the tank valve and run it until it dies. I then turn it completely upside down to empty the tank. It usually starts on the third pull with the choke pulled. It has always been store in the shed. I'm wondering if it will last another 54 years, but since I am 78, I will be gone before then. :laughing:

View attachment 24143

That is a rare modle big brother...I have a 53, a 63, and a 64, amoung other newer modles..and they are all more common than yours.
Thanks for showing us a pic.
Lee

graydog

Threads
That is a rare modle big brother...I have a 53, a 63, and a 64, amoung other newer modles..and they are all more common than yours.
Thanks for showing us a pic.
Lee

They don't make 'em to last like that anymore.

:thumbsup:

ztrjim

Threads
Thanks for sharing about this, These older mowers are cool looking. Even more impressive they are still working after 40+ years!!! :thumbsup:

Vervepipes

Threads
I'd love to find a very old mower, mine is 11 years older than I am but I'd like even older if I can find it. I missed out on a pair of gas reel mowers earlier this year.

jp1961

Threads
Graydog,

That is one sweet ole LawnBoy. Gold and red color is awesome, thanks for posting the pics. I was born in 1961, so it's older than me,,,lol.

Jeff

Phototone

Threads

View attachment 24143

My family had a Lawnboy of that vintage. That color. But not with the grass chute or self-propelled. I do remember we were told to turn off the gas and run the carb dry when finished mowing. Ours had the leading front wheel on an arm that was spring loaded, which was supposed to follow the contour of the yard better. It didn't. Lots of scalping. My dad put some washers and stuff on the spring to immobilize it, then the mower worked much better, no scalping.