Opinion on buying a Lawn Boy

Vervepipes

Threads
Hi, I have an opportunity to buy an old 1973 Lawn Boy. The owner says it was running 2 years ago but couldn't get it running last year. It looks to be in great shape physically and comes with the manual. The owner wants $50 for it. He doesn't know what it wrong with it, hasn't looked too deeply into it. Does this sound like it could be worth picking up?

unclelee

Threads
if it has compression and is complete, deck not broken chipped or cracked...buy it. A restored 73 bricktop just sold on ebay for $1025+ $75 shipping

Vervepipes

Threads
This one isn't a brick top I'll go have a peak at it

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
if it has compression and is complete, deck not broken chipped or cracked...buy it. A restored 73 bricktop just sold on ebay for $1025+ $75 shipping

Wow! I haven't checked eBay lately -- I guess the prices have gone up.

unclelee

Threads

Lol...I had to take a screen shot

Vervepipes

Threads
Just came back, it has a crack in the deck so I got it for free :) If I can get it running I'll use it as my personal mower, otherwise I can save it as a parts bin if I find another good deal on one. The shroud is missing a piece on top which has a piece of metal riveted onto it.

Vervepipes

Threads
Here's a picture of the old girl. The crack shows up in the picture, I couldn't see it on the bottom of the deck though, just on the top. Not bad for a 20 minute drive's worth of gas and my time.

Attachments

• DSCN0002.jpg
    DSCN0002.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 88
  • DSCN0003.jpg
    DSCN0003.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 78
  • DSCN0004.jpg
    DSCN0004.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 78
  • DSCN0006.jpg
    DSCN0006.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 76

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
Here's a picture of the old girl. The crack shows up in the picture, I couldn't see it on the bottom of the deck though, just on the top. Not bad for a 20 minute drive's worth of gas and my time.

You might just have a crack in the paint -- not the deck.

Can't go wrong with an F-series engine. :cool:

A 19" mower is mower is rarer and more collectible -- at least down here in the US.

Vervepipes

Threads
We scraped the paint off on a small area to verify, and it is definitely a metal crack. There is no flex to it though, it'll be good for my own use I think. Primer button is roch hard, I'll have to buy one later.

Vervepipes

Threads
I looked in the gas tank and found parts of the fuel cap inside it. There was also a clear plastic tube, I couldn't identify wheat it belonged to right away, it is threaded female on one end. I'm heading out of town for the day so I'll take a pic later to help to identify it. I also put a splash of fresh gas in and trie to start it since the tank was actually empty despite what the seller said, and it was a no-go. There's a spare ignition module that came with it, so maybe I'll give that a try tomorrow.