Online small engine repair schools?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The best way to learn the repairs is to as an apprentice (hands on) so you get the basic knowledge from an experienced person then you can build on that by reading service manuals and applying the info provided in those manuals.

As said I surely would not want a new surgeon doing surgery unsupervised. And it same with other repairs too. Besides most school training is out of date by the time they start training you.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hi,

I was looking to find inexpensive small engine repair training available online. I know pennfoster and briggs and stratton have training material available but they are rather expensive. I found a free course at evoclearning.com but wanted to know if there are some used resources I where I can find repair books or guides. I am interested in learning more about small engine repair and possibly fixing them on the side.

Also, does it matter if a school says it's accredited? Do I need an accredited school to learn small engine repair? Or is it more practice than anything else?
Save your money on the courses. Start with an engine that doesn't run, and start on it. Start a new thread here, with pics, and brand and model numbers.
Ask questions, listen to the guys here, but always do tests to know what needs replaced, not listen to the guy that says "Put a new coil on it". Listen to the guy giving you things to check, to find out the problem, before ordering any parts.
Get started that way, before spending money on courses that will never pay for themselves.
I started for a small dealer, promised to work cheap to get to learn, then you can see the business side of it too. Just to get started.

It hasn't been the greatest career, but with the way things are going, it may be quite lucrative fairly soon.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Save your money on the courses. Start with an engine that doesn't run, and start on it. Start a new thread here, with pics, and brand and model numbers.
Ask questions, listen to the guys here, but always do tests to know what needs replaced, not listen to the guy that says "Put a new coil on it". Listen to the guy giving you things to check, to find out the problem, before ordering any parts.
Get started that way, before spending money on courses that will never pay for themselves.
I started for a small dealer, promised to work cheap to get to learn, then you can see the business side of it too. Just to get started.

It hasn't been the greatest career, but with the way things are going, it may be quite lucrative fairly soon.

Fish-Why do you say “the way things are going, it may be quite lucrative soon.” I realize the world is strange these days and unstable. Just wondering what you meant.

As far as finding a shop willing to teach you as an apprenticeship, I would say that is a very long shot. As far as a person willing to spend days, weeks, months m, and years helping and training you, I would say even a longer shot.

Best way to learn in many cases is to watch the right videos, read forums, such as this one, and refer to service manuals. While you are doing this online teaching, you are going hands on with equipment. At some point you have to jump in and fake it until you make it. Then, after say three years, you begin to see patterns and really understand the needed skills to succeed. Watching a couple of YouTube videos to repair a problem ain’t gonna cut it for a person with little mechanical background.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Well techs faking is why I snag a lot from my competitors. They might have bigger and fancier shops then I do. But they are just screwing their customers some are referring other to my shop. This year nearly a third of my business gross income came from these referrals as these other shop are hiring inexperience techs and they don't a experienced tech backing them up.

When those techs can't find a blown head gasket, clean a carburetor properly, or even find a bad spark plug; you got what Space Cadet they have working for them.

If I was willing to cheat my customers I probably have a fancy shop too but I run an honest shop and just want to make a honest living.

And you can't simply unscrew the top of your head and pour in the info either you got to have ability first. I started out assembling a 1957 Oldsmobile V8 when I was in the second grade with an experienced mechanic supervising my work. Yes I made mistakes then and still do at times but I learned to ask for help when I need it and am willing to help others when asked.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yep
A shop that charges $ 120/ hr ( Aus ) then has the affrontory to add line items like ;-
service fuel
service oil
shop rags
degreaser
Silicon
Followed by line items fro each & every nut bolt & washer , most of which of course were not replaced
Will not keep their customers for very long
Accountants of course like this because they need to have their computer account for everything short of the air the techs breathe & the water used to flush the toilet .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
And I work one of those companies that had me accounting for every minute I work for them on paper. Boy I hated it.

Don't take wrong but I do charge for the hardware used but I don't just make up items replaced that weren't replaced. Now this I have seen other shops doing as for charging for items not even used.

I do charge for fuel used as the customer should bring their equipment with fuel, not empty tanks. Oh my customers tried that on me years ago but found out that I would add fuel and charge them.

And I don't overcharge for hardware used either. That is why I buy the hardware from McMaster-Carr instead from the equipment OEMs. And I do save hardware from other equipment and don't charge for it when it is used.

Now shop rags are a reusable item if washed. The rags I have right now are the same rags I brought three years ago. De-greasers and spray lubes are just wrote off as part of the service provided. A little goes a long way of these items.

There are rare cases where I partly charge for new tool that may never get used again. Some those are very expensive for an one time use but got to have them in order to do the job. This is usually the ATV/UTV tools as those limited serviced items. Other tools that are frequently used are just part doing business. Probably if I add all the tools I now have I probably have well over $10K invested and I get paid back everyday for using them via my labor charges.

As a business I do expect to spend money on storage items they simply make keeping track of items easier. Most of us have tools of the trade to keep track of so storage boxes and cabinets are normal business expense and not something we charge customers for.

Currently I have about 30 large storage bins with multiple small bins in each. There is no way I could where parts is with using a bin system. I have only 2500+ different items in stock.

1701202482985.png

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
workshop consumables get adsorbed into the labour rate which I just put up for the first time in 15 years .
IT will go up bi-annually for now on
Same story with fuel particularly as I test gear by cutting my own grass
Now if they were charging $ 50/hr then sure add some consumables but at $ 120 /hr ( wage rate is around $ 35 / hr so on costed labour would be $ 70 at best .

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
workshop consumables get adsorbed into the labour rate which I just put up for the first time in 15 years .
IT will go up bi-annually for now on
Same story with fuel particularly as I test gear by cutting my own grass
Now if they were charging $ 50/hr then sure add some consumables but at $ 120 /hr ( wage rate is around $ 35 / hr so on costed labour would be $ 70 at best .

The John Deere dealer near by charges $195/hour for labor (ridiculously high). All consumables except grease are in my labor charge.

I do get equipment from other shops that was not fixed properly, but not that often. I realize that “faking it until you make it” is not the way to go. My point is, at some point you have to put the theory and books down, and get your hands dirty.

Bertsmobile-What is the exchange rate Australia vs U.S. for money? Average small engine labor rate in my area is $100/hour. Remember, these shops have employee payroll, rent/mortgage, insurance, lots of general overhead. I am a one person shop with almost none of that, and will be increasing to $75/hour next year on labor.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Tiger as two days ago.
1701263622649.png
So it is about a third higher. The real of exchange will be when you actually transfer the money.

The last track I had of JD labor rate two years ago was $100 / hr here. Yes I am personally at $65/hr or if I was down under $98/hr. And I have 10K in overhead so far this year. Now of course expensives are going up this and next month as I got to repair some tools and replace/add others for the coming year. Right now it is the 40 year compressor that broke but have already a replacement pump for it.

I doubt I raise my rates next year as inflation seems to be leveling off. Besides I be drawing my SS by June next year too then the shop will be something just to keep me out of trouble. And of course I could charge closer to real time labor times.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just out of curiousity, what are experienced small engine mechanics making hourly these days?