Online small engine repair schools?

Briggs1919

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,

I was looking to find inexpensive small engine repair training available online. I know pennfoster and briggs and stratton have training material available but they are rather expensive. I found a free course at evoclearning.com but wanted to know if there are some used resources I where I can find repair books or guides. I am interested in learning more about small engine repair and possibly fixing them on the side.

Also, does it matter if a school says it's accredited? Do I need an accredited school to learn small engine repair? Or is it more practice than anything else?

Pumper54

Threads
Couple of places I would start would be the local library and look for any books on small engine repair, also you can go online at YouTube and search for the millions of videos on small engine repair. Find a small engine that you can play with and tear it apart, make sure you document what you do as you take it apart and keep everything labeled and clean. That way you will be able to put it back together after you break it down to its basic parts.

Tom

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I had been playing with vintage motorcycles for better he 30 years when I bought the small engine repair run which I thought would be a doddle.
What a steep learning curve.
There are hundreds of books about repairing small engines and most of them are not much chop.
Down here we call them coffee table ( if they are full of photos ) or bedside ( no pictures ) books.
Lots of information so general in nature as to be useless.

The best books are the John Deer Technical manuals as they tell you how the bits work and how to test them and what order to test them.
Most technical college libraries will have them and some are available from the web.
However GOOD & CHEAP are mutually exclusive. It costs money to write good manuals.

Other than that, You Tube is good once you sort out the shaved monkeys with a camera from those who actually know something.
Taryl Fixes All & Donnyboy87 are very good, subscribe to their channels and run through the entire play list.

A lot of parts suppliers also have videos, e-eplacement parts, Jacks small engines.

Pumper54

Threads
Bert,

"Other than that, You Tube is good once you sort out the shaved monkeys with a camera from those who actually know something.
Taryl Fixes All & Donnyboy87 are very good, subscribe to their channels and run through the entire play list."

Killing me here with the "shaved monkey" but you are correct with the two people you listed as being good. I have checked out both and find their info to be easy to understand and to the point.
Tom

Briggs1919

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for everybody's tips. I will check out the YouTube videos.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Bert,

"Other than that, You Tube is good once you sort out the shaved monkeys with a camera from those who actually know something.
Taryl Fixes All & Donnyboy87 are very good, subscribe to their channels and run through the entire play list."

Killing me here with the "shaved monkey" but you are correct with the two people you listed as being good. I have checked out both and find their info to be easy to understand and to the point.
Tom

The biggest selling push mower down here was Victa and a one time they had better than 75% of the market.
However there is no dediacated repair vidoes till a couple of school kids set up a video channel.
On this channel they tell you to "fix" a mower that is running too fast by stuffing foam in the air tube .
There is a very clever stop switch inbuilt into the carb cam which they tell you is a "problem" so you have to replace it with a toggle switch.
The rubber boot ofr the switch is $ 2.00 a toggle switch is $ 5.00 + extra wiring.

Johns_Pop

Threads
I can't find Donnyboy87 anywhere.