Older Honda HRT216TDA self propelled cold start questions

Vanousb

Threads
  • / Older Honda HRT216TDA self propelled cold start questions
I recently changed the carb in the HRT216TDA self propelled project mower I got on crags list that was surging. Once started it purrs wonderfully...

My question is this (I will try to give you as much detail as I can)....

First got mower, moved to full throttle choke, started on about 4th or 5th pull and then I throttle back, but engine surge was really bad.

Changed carburetor.

Next morning wanted to so cold start. Pull to cold start mower, will not hit. When I move the throttle to choke (just past full throttle) on mower will not turn over. After about 4 to 6 pulls, if I move throttle all the way back to slow, it will hit. About 4 pulls later, it starts right up and runs perfect. Am I missing something? Shouldn't I be moving the throttle to choke on cold start and it start then throttle back? Just confused...since new carb is in, is choke to much?

I know I am asking simple questions, but I am on the learning curve...I know start up procedures, so I am not going about this like I am clueless, but it was my first carb change I did not expect the choke thing... and I'm just did not expect to no response when I throttle to choke position and then get it to start when its throttled all the way back to slow.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
1. Make sure the choke plate is fully closed when you move the throttle to CHOKE.
2. Make sure the choke plate is fully open when you move the throttle to FAST.
3. Inspect/clean spark plug for fouling.
4. Inspect/clean air filter; partially blocked could cause rich conditions and foul spark plug.
5. Confirm correct new carb was installed, and confirm all gaskets, packing, springs, rods, etc. are in correct holes and orientation, and bolts are secure. No vacuum leaks.
6. Was new carb genuine Honda OEM?
7. Flush/cleaned fuel tank and lines? Fresh fuel put into tank?

If you get me the serial number off the back of the mower deck, I can get you the correct part number for the carburetor, as well as a few images of how the physical connections should look...

lmserialnumber_zps63822669.jpg

Vanousb

Threads
Found it first thing. Has choke arm in wrong slot. Was not closing choke. Redid arm to correct hole. Now closes on choke and works as expected. There is now a slight surge to running engine. Going to let gas circulate real good before I say it is an issue. Is there an adjusting scene on carb that I need to work with? The pic is model and arm in wrong hole.

Attachments

• image-209413030.jpg
    image-209413030.jpg
    427.3 KB · Views: 11
  • image-1568133144.jpg
    image-1568133144.jpg
    430.9 KB · Views: 11

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Found it first thing. Has choke arm in wrong slot. Was not closing choke. Redid arm to correct hole. Now closes on choke and works as expected. There is now a slight surge to running engine. Going to let gas circulate real good before I say it is an issue. Is there an adjusting scene on carb that I need to work with? The pic is model and arm in wrong hole.

Unlikely you need to adjust any screws. How old is the fuel? I would replace if older that 2-3 weeks; today's ethanol-type fuels (even 10%) can decay very quickly.

The correct Honda part number for a new carburetor is 16100-Z0L-023, list price $15.08. Google any part number to find a Honda Dealer selling it online, or use this link to find a Honda Dealer in your area: Find A Honda Dealer

Vanousb

Threads
Correct carb. Just found a station that carries ethanol free 87 octane. Plan to replace all fuels with this fresh and see how it effects the run of motor. Plan to use the local ethanol free in all my equipment.

Vanousb

Threads
Ok. Have added clean fresh fuel. Now starts fine on first or second pull cold with normal choke use. But now since fixing choke lever to correct hole for it to fulling close and open choke, there is again some engine surge and little sputter. Also noticed a faint puff of smoke from exhaust from time to time when running. Never cuts out or loses power. Have put in new spark plug and clean air filter along with the new carb and gaskets. Any thoughts on how to get the surging out or is a slight surge normal for older engine. Thoughts? More time to burn out old fuel and get new circulating? Have a video of it running. Can't post video here.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
More time to burn out old fuel and get new circulating?

Old or new, a properly tuned and configured Honda engine should not surge. From idle~WOT (wide-open-throttle), it should be smooth and steady, with no real noticeable change in engine RPMs

Ideally, you'd want to totally drain all the old fuel, flush the tank and lines with fuel system cleaner or solvent and add fresh, regular unleaded gasoline.

Next best option is to pour in some fuel system cleaner to the tank (such as SeaFoam or the like) and it might just do the trick.

In the future, try to purchase regular unleaded with either ZERO ethanol or as low to zero ethanol as possible. You just need regular 86 octane. No benefit to using higher octane fuel unless it offers lower ethanol percentage.

Add some fuel stabilizer to your fuel can to greatly extend the life of the stored fuel.

Vanousb

Threads
Old or new, a properly tuned and configured Honda engine should not surge. From idle~WOT (wide-open-throttle), it should be smooth and steady, with no real noticeable change in engine RPMs

Ideally, you'd want to totally drain all the old fuel, flush the tank and lines with fuel system cleaner or solvent and add fresh, regular unleaded gasoline.

Next best option is to pour in some fuel system cleaner to the tank (such as SeaFoam or the like) and it might just do the trick.

In the future, try to purchase regular unleaded with either ZERO ethanol or as low to zero ethanol as possible. You just need regular 86 octane. No benefit to using higher octane fuel unless it offers lower ethanol percentage.

Add some fuel stabilizer to your fuel can to greatly extend the life of the stored fuel.

First I want to thank you for the continued assistance as I feel my way around the Honda engine. Got this honda from a pawn shop for 50.00. Was not engaging the self propel. Easy fix. Using this as a leaning experience. I did not think to drain and flush tank...well...more like not sure how to totally the flush it out. I am using the sea foam to see if that gets things smoothed out. If not I will consider (ask) what to do next.

I have asses 87 no ethanol fuel. Have found a station close by that sells Ethanol free for 3.77 a gal. Plan to use it in all my lawn equipment.

Vanousb

Threads
Fixed. Runs smooth at all throttle speeds. Starts right up. Wow. Now I know what the honda engine really sounds like.