Oil filter check for Kawa FR691V

iclick

Threads

I looked at that item a few days ago and was taken aback by some reports that they are not genuine Kawi filters. The photos provided in a recent feedback bears that out, so I don't know about their authenticity. Others claim they have all the right labels, including "Made in U.S.A." Price is about the same as the Fram Ultra at Walmart. I appreciate your thoughts about staying with OEM, at least during the warranty period.

Lawn Addict
Threads

iclick

Threads
I agree. Local Ace Hardware sells Dixie choppers, so they sell Kawasaki service items. Every few months they have super sales, I can only get 3 at a time, but for $7. each, I get the OEM filters stocked up.

That would last me three years. Will sign up for sale emails.

Lawn Addict
Threads
That's how it works out for me.. :thumbsup:

iclick

Threads
Lots of good info here, including some useful links to parts suppliers, so thanks to everyone who helped out. I called Fram this AM and they said the XG4967 filter would work if the gasket mates up to the engine properly and doesn't leak. On their site the PH4967 (lower grade filter) shows as a fit for all Kawi engines listed under the Hustler brand, and the XG4967 has the same fitment specs. L454S has used it in his mower and generator, and there's a reference on a Bobstheoilguy.com thread that the PH4967 filter will work.

It's a good argument that using OEM is good during the warranty period, but neither Kawi nor Hustler give any oil filter specs in either engine or mower manuals, neither acceptable brands nor operational specs, just a schedule for changing it. By law they can't refuse warranty service to customer for using an aftermarket product unless it doesn't meet the stated specs or is found to have caused a repair issue. They can dictate a specific part must be used to validate a warranty but in doing so they must provide it free. I do realize they can stlll make waves should an engine repair be required but I see no legal grounds to refuse service.

So, when I do my first oil change I'll use the Fram XG4967 I bought recently. I don't think anyone is wrong here, and I understand the various points of view, but I had to make a decision. :smile:

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Don't forget the genuine Kawasaki motor oil. :smile: