Oil Change without making a mess?

:frown:
Can anyone tell me if any brand of oil filter allows the oil to drain back into the crankcase when the engine is stopped? To me the biggest mess is the oil running down off the oil filter while I unscrew the old one.

You are going to have some kind of mess! Whether it being a lot of oil on the floor or a very little oil on the floor. Just remember to put a catch basin underneath the oil filter to catch any oil dripping down. After the oil stops dripping, you can unscrew further until it drops off. This is the the way it is.
 
I have a tray I use goes under the filter and other end sit in a bucket.

Came up with this because working on the river pumping sand had to change oil and not get any in the water.

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))
 
I just did mine. Hustler put the engine in sideways the filter is simple has an oil catch under the filter to funnel where it drips and also the petcock is very nice , no hose needed.
They thought oil changes out really well.

For my cars I use a big 2ft x 3ft drip pan from most automotive stores cheap easy way to keep oil off the driveway.
 
I just did mine. Hustler put the engine in sideways the filter is simple has an oil catch under the filter to funnel where it drips and also the petcock is very nice , no hose needed.
They thought oil changes out really well.

For my cars I use a big 2ft x 3ft drip pan from most automotive stores cheap easy way to keep oil off the driveway.

The VERY WORST engine design for oil changes I ever witnessed was when my son bought a 1995 Pontiac Grand AM!!! The oil filter was a "cannister element type" that went inside the "oil pan" which had a very large plug that was unscrewed to replace the filter....AND/OR....for just changing the oil. There was absolutely NO WAY you could keep oil from getting all over you and everywhere!!!! The engineers that designed that engine should have been tarred & feathered and run out of town:0)
 
My Bad Boy came with a drain hose with a plug in the end. I replaced the plug with a ball valve and plugged the valve so it could not accidentally be turned while running. I then bought a filter relocation kit for my Kohler 27 Hp and placed it on the rear shield away from the engine. They both work great and not a drop of oil where I don't want it.
 
The VERY WORST engine design for oil changes I ever witnessed was when my son bought a 1995 Pontiac Grand AM!!! The oil filter was a "cannister element type" that went inside the "oil pan" which had a very large plug that was unscrewed to replace the filter....AND/OR....for just changing the oil. There was absolutely NO WAY you could keep oil from getting all over you and everywhere!!!! The engineers that designed that engine should have been tarred & feathered and run out of town:0)

Maybe they were? :wink:

I know one of the Cadilacs had a 8 or 10 quart engine that was an expensive oil change. Northstar iirc.

This is when you work in oil changes into the cars price.
 
Back
Top