no spark. bad coil or points?

kneehighgrass2013

Forum Newbie
I have no spark on my craftsmen 12hp mower. Plug is good wire to plug is good and so is the ground. Is there a way to check the coil? Should I just get a new one or should I pull the fly wheel and clean the points?
 
I have no spark on my craftsmen 12hp mower. Plug is good wire to plug is good and so is the ground. Is there a way to check the coil? Should I just get a new one or should I pull the fly wheel and clean the points?

If you disconnect the kill wire from the coil it will isolate the coil. If it doesn't get spark with the wire disconnected, the coil is bad.
 
Is this the small black wire coming off the coil to a bolt/ground? If so I have tried that with no success.

Yes. The kill wire is normally hooked to a spade connector under the coil. What do you mean that you have tried with no success. If you disconnect the wire and it gets spark the coil is fine. If you disconnect the wire and you don't get spark, the coil is bad. What happened that resulted in no succcess??:confused:
 
Back
Top