Export thread

no self control!

reddragon

reddragon

well i did it again!.....damn craigslist! :laughing:....cost: $50....its 1997 murray widebody with a hydro auto with the forward/reverse foot pedal and a 17hp tecumseh...runs good.. tranny works great....what am i going to do with another mower?......hell if i know! :laughing:

Attachments

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

That's a great deal -- congratulations. :thumbsup:

All this week I've been in pursuit of a mower listed on CraigsList -- but the seller doesn't return my emails and there's no phone number. :smiley_aafz:

JDgreen

JDgreen

well i did it again!.....damn craigslist! :laughing:....cost: $50....its 1997 murray widebody with a hydro auto with the forward/reverse foot pedal and a 17hp tecumseh...runs good.. tranny works great....what am i going to do with another mower?......hell if i know! :laughing:

HEY YOU QUIT THE FRIGGIN' PROFANITY HERE!!!

You have said d*** and h*** recently so QUIT THAT C***!!!!!!

reddragon

reddragon

im mentally ill !....i have Moweritis!.....therefore im not responsible for the things i say :laughing:...:thumbsup:

reddragon

reddragon

That's a great deal -- congratulations. :thumbsup:

All this week I've been in pursuit of a mower listed on CraigsList -- but the seller doesn't return my emails and there's no phone number. :smiley_aafz:

i hate it when people leave ads up after somethings sold..:mad:

JDgreen

JDgreen

im mentally ill !....i have Moweritis!.....therefore im not responsible for the things i say :laughing:...:thumbsup:

HORSE SQUEEZE---don't you give us the Twinkie Defense either !!!!

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

i hate it when people leave ads up after somethings sold..:mad:

I don't think that's the case here -- at least I hope not. I responded to the ad within a couple of hours of posting.

I think that the guy meant to leave a phone number on the ad and he's just not checking the email for whatever reason.

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

I think I have Moweritis as well. The first night that the above mentioned ad was posted I left my cellphone on all night (which I hardly ever do) and also had trouble sleeping.

I haven't given up on the mower. I've been doing some meditation to keep calm. :smile:

Needless to say, the mower in question is a two-stroke push mower. :biggrin:

RobertBrown

RobertBrown

I think I have Moweritis as well. The first night that the above mentioned ad was posted I left my cellphone on all night (which I hardly ever do) and also had trouble sleeping.

I haven't given up on the mower. I've been doing some meditation to keep calm. :smile:

Why am I sure it's green?:rolleyes:

reddragon

reddragon

Doctor's diagnosis says: Two Stroke suffers from a moderate to severe case of Moweritis
Treatment: buy another mower ASAP [as soon as possible].......and once a Day: display or take pictures of favorite mowers.............:biggrin:

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

Why am I sure it's green?:rolleyes:

Actually, they're not all Lawn-Boy green.

Here is one I bought back in May. It's a 1987 Toro, powered by Suzuki.

toro-2.jpg

I wrote about it in this thread in the Toro forum.

B

benski

I'm up to sixteen right now...:ashamed:my latest aqcuisition is an 11-38 toro (mid '80's maybe?) that neeeds at LEAST a new drive belt that I picked up for $60.00. I'm hoping I can turn it around soon.:eek:

twall

twall

Doctor's diagnosis says: Two Stroke suffers from a moderate to severe case of Moweritis
Treatment: buy another mower ASAP [as soon as possible].......and once a Day: display or take pictures of favorite mowers.............:biggrin:

Or get a 99 cent rattle can and destroy one you already have (masking? I don't need no stinkin tape!). Spraying over irreplaceable decals from 1974? BAH - who cares.........your SS is now all bumblebee yellow - with a BLUE deck....:rolleyes:

B

Black Bart

YOUR WIFE MUST BE REAL PROUD OF YOU :laughing:

JDgreen

JDgreen

Actually, they're not all Lawn-Boy green.

Here is one I bought back in May. It's a 1987 Toro, powered by Suzuki.

toro-2.jpg

I wrote about it in this thread in the Toro forum.

Is it an aluminum deck? From the molded in wheel adjuster stops and lack of rust on the unpainted areas I would say so. I was sorry they stopped building pushers with aluminum decks.

twall

twall

Is it an aluminum deck? From the molded in wheel adjuster stops and lack of rust on the unpainted areas I would say so. I was sorry they stopped building pushers with aluminum decks.

Why DID they stop making aluminum decks? Too expensive? Or were they just lasting too dam long?

B

benski

Probaby both. I sure do like the aluminum deck on my John Deere 14SB.:smile: But if your car, mower deck or other contrivance lasts 20+ years between replacement, you're going to have to sell a lot to different people, not just the same folks who bought one from you 3 years ago...:wink::biggrin:

twall

twall

Probaby both. I sure do like the aluminum deck on my John Deere 14SB.:smile: But if your car, mower deck or other contrivance lasts 20+ years between replacement, you're going to have to sell a lot to different people, not just the same folks who bought one from you 3 years ago...:wink::biggrin:

I have a 14sb, myself - I just use it in the fall to vaccum up the pine needles. If I had a side chute, it might see more use - but then I'd have to rebuild that lousy Kawi carb. Blech! :tongue: That teeny tiny bagger is just not big enuff for regular mowing. Tried it for awhile, but I spent more time transporting and dumping the clippings then I spent mowing! :eek:

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

Yes it is an alloy deck. The deck, wheels, height adjusters, etc. on that mower are all very heavy duty -- it makes me think this was designed as a commercial mower. The air filter is about four times the size of most and the engine is the most powerful I've seen on a push mower. It's been a great addition to my fleet.

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

I got my fix -- the mower that I've been obsessing over for a week. I don't lose sleep over just any old mower -- or even over just any two-stroke mower. But a Lawn-Boy Brick-Top Commercial...:cloud9:

LB-6255-02.JPG

reddragon

reddragon

:laughing:..what year is it? :laughing:

B

benski

Somewhere between 1965 and 1973? I just now discovered that a lot of Lawn-Boys were manufactured by Outboard Marine Corporation. A history lesson AND lawnmowers all in one stop shopping!:thumbsup::cool::biggrin:

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

:laughing:..what year is it? :laughing:

If you're asking about my newest Lawn-Boy, it's a 1977. :cool:

reddragon

reddragon

FAR OUT!....that things got character :biggrin:

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

Getting back to the ideas of "no self control" and "Moweritis", getting something like the Brick-Top makes me less likely to be tempted to buy a more ordinary mower. For example, I have one two-stroke Lawn-Boy from the 1990s (a 1994 model 10415) but I don't think I'd be tempted to get another from that era.

Making an exciting new purchase raises the bar for future purchases.

reddragon

reddragon

I got my fix -- the mower that I've been obsessing over for a week. I don't lose sleep over just any old mower -- or even over just any two-stroke mower. But a Lawn-Boy Brick-Top Commercial...:cloud9:

LB-6255-02.JPG
does this look familiar ?..
My Bricktop Commercial Lawnboy - YouTube

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

That's my mower. I wonder why the one in the video doesn't have a handle. :confused2:

B

benski

Speaking of no self-control, I just picked up an old Lawn Chief yesterday. Needs a new motor, but that's easy. Yikes! 17!:eek:

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

Speaking of no self-control, I just picked up an old Lawn Chief yesterday. Needs a new motor, but that's easy. Yikes! 17!:eek:
Photos please! And while you're at it, the Jacobsen forum could use some pictures of your Jake -- is it a reel mower?

B

benski

Yes, I guess I'll have to drag all these projects out and take an incriminating photo.:ashamed::eek: And in answer to the second question, yes, the Jake is a 30" reel mower,model is a Park 30, manufactured in 1952. I've got to imagine the thing weighs between 250 and 300 lbs. A 4hp Kohler, (IIRC) and an old fashioned, aircraft style WICO magneto. I bought it for $30.00. I think it'll be fun to get going, in my copious amounts of spare time...:laughing::biggrin:

M

motoman

...talk about the pot and the kettle...I may have tinkeritis , but you appear to be a tractor junkie...:laughing:

reddragon

reddragon

guilty as charged! :laughing:

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

Yes, I guess I'll have to drag all these projects out and take an incriminating photo.:ashamed::eek: And in answer to the second question, yes, the Jake is a 30" reel mower,model is a Park 30, manufactured in 1952. I've got to imagine the thing weighs between 250 and 300 lbs. A 4hp Kohler, (IIRC) and an old fashioned, aircraft style WICO magneto. I bought it for $30.00. I think it'll be fun to get going, in my copious amounts of spare time...:laughing::biggrin:

I thought that might be one of the old reel models. You got a great deal -- and I'm sure you're right about the weight -- they are massive things. When you get it running and sharpened it will give you a better cut than you could hope for from a rotary.

There's a thread in the Jacobsen forum on the history of their mowers -- I hope to see your mower there.

M

motoman

guilty as charged! :laughing:

I salute tractor collectors. This obsession is far more economical than being a car junkie. You can obviously accumulate more and restore them as "bench projects" which is SWEET!" Do you hold tractor meets? And do you ride your machines to the gatherings?:smile:

reddragon

reddragon

i was just at a tractor show last weekend......but unfortunately..no mowers....these are tiny tractors...and most dont take them to shows.......there is alot of us backyard nuts :biggrin:

B

benski

We ought to start a grass-roots :ashamed: movement nationwide to see if we could display our mowers (in running condition, I would think would be best) at state and county fairs. There may be some folks out there that would appreciate them.:biggrin: