Newer carbs now have an adjustment?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Carb adjusting tool? No sir, of course i don't have any. That would be illegal. I would never try and adjust a carburetor. Yes sir, that's my story and i am sticking to it.
Well I believe your story if you believe I got 14 acres of swamp land on the sunny side of Mercury for sale to the right buyer like the US government. Heck I even sell it to the Russians if the price is right. I also got a 100 acres of swamp land of Venus sunny side too if you are interested.

As for US EPA rules on carburetors first they want licensed trained techs doing the adjustments. But when a DIYer replaces a carburetor they don't care how bad the carburetors are out adjustment. Just pollute away. That is just how big of idiots they are. Personally I got most of the EPA restricted tools and they are definitely needed for repairs.

As for the aftermarket mention in this thread I haven't seen one personally. It may be because I buy OEM. I just replaced a GVC 190 CARBURETOR ASSY. (BB76E A) 16100-Z8D-911 carburetor with a $12.57 OEM carburetor plus shipping. Besides the nozzle and main jet costs more than the whole carburetor. So why would I buy an aftermarket?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Pushing of EPA standards could change at a moments notice. The mechanism to fine the manufacturer, distributor, dealer have been on the books for several years and was changed in 2010 to be able to also fine the homeowner for violating EPA clean air standards. So the potential to fine the seller of a carb adjustment tool $37,500 and the purchaser $3.750 per day/per incident is on the books and could be enforceable.

MTD stopped suppling the adjustment tools to their dealers a few years ago, because they were approached by the EPA about having their dealers make adjustment and not having the proper testing equipment to determine that after the adjustment that the item still meets emissions requirements. The Green New Deal being pushed could put all this and more into play.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
The whole EPA thing on small engines is a joke anyway. Not one mfgr tests each piece of equipment coming off the line. Stupid ignorant bureaucrats passing laws to make themselves feel better appease the global warming crowd. Same dumba$$es who passed the no spill.... er i mean always spill POS gas cans. The mfgs send a specimen in for testing and when approved they crank out thousands that may or may not meet standards. We're from the government and we are gere to help.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
it seems like when this whole EPA emissions thing started engine on mower started getting bigger with more HP as standard equipment. A 42 inch rider also came standard with a 10-12 HP engine is now 20+ in most cases. Push mower engines were 3-3.5 HP and went to 5-8 HP on some models. I don't believe that the old 3 HP put out any more emissions than a new 7 HP on the same size mower.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
If you read most emissions labels, The manufactures only certify emissions for limited number hours for piece of equipment. 25-50 hrs for most small engine powered equipment. Usually by the time it gets to my shop they are well pass this spec. Besides a properly tuned engine is much less polluting than one that a carburetor is just thrown on. Surging engine are much worse at polluting than one tuned correctly. BUt of course the government thinks all the mechanics are idiots.

I have taken vehicles getting rather poor fuel economy and have them far exceeding the manufacture's specs. For example my '79 Chevy Malibu that was spec'd at 16 MPG highway. When I got through with it had a combine MPG of 22.3 and it cruised at 32 mpg highway and that was with a small V8 and automatic transmission. And it still had very good takeoff power to boot. And that Dodge Colt 4 cylinder with manual was getting well over 45 mpg.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you read most emissions labels, The manufactures only certify emissions for limited number hours for piece of equipment. 25-50 hrs for most small engine powered equipment. Usually by the time it gets to my shop they are well pass this spec. Besides a properly tuned engine is much less polluting than one that a carburetor is just thrown on. Surging engine are much worse at polluting than one tuned correctly. BUt of course the government thinks all the mechanics are idiots.

I have taken vehicles getting rather poor fuel economy and have them far exceeding the manufacture's specs. For example my '79 Chevy Malibu that was spec'd at 16 MPG highway. When I got through with it had a combine MPG of 22.3 and it cruised at 32 mpg highway and that was with a small V8 and automatic transmission. And it still had very good takeoff power to boot. And that Dodge Colt 4 cylinder with manual was getting well over 45 mpg.
Most of the Emission labels I see are for 50-150-300 hours depending on quality. Low end box store stuff at 50 hours and more commercial products at 300 hour certified.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads

I should have sent you my 1990 gmc pickup. 1 ton with 350 engine with TH400 trans without lockup and 3.73 gears. Terrible year for engines. 9 MPG empty or with a 2000 lb camper in the bed and towing a boat.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
That I can agree with as things have improve in reliability in the last 20 yrs and better quality equipment have tighter specs. It just like cars at one were lucky to get 100K on them before a engine rebuild was needed and now some goes well over 300K and still be going strong. My 2000 Chevy is at 340K and still running good and that 1979 Malibu only made it to 150K before needing a rebuild.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
340k miles, you got me beat by a bunch. My 2000 chevy venture (the beast of burden) only has about 200k.