New spindle bearings, still howling

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
It could be you are side loading the bearings too much. Try loosening the retainer and test. It tuns out to be side loading problem then the spacer is a hair too short.
Lucas or Mystic grease red and tacky.
Don’t just spin spindles and pulleys, grab them and twist up and down for play. Something is making that howling noise. If you have not been greasing them regularly in four years, that will add to the noise.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Lucas or Mystic grease red and tacky.
Don’t just spin spindles and pulleys, grab them and twist up and down for play. Something is making that howling noise. If you have not been greasing them regularly in four years, that will add to the noise.

Red & tacky is all I use.

Note: All the bearing in this deck are brand new. I just installed them yesterday.

I'm thinking I'll loosen them all up and reset them with a smaller impact. I'm using the new 1/2" one. Since Gravely won't provide any torque specs on this bearings. In fact they don't even list the part numbers for the bearings. They just want to sell a whole new assembly.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
You need to get familiar with one of these.
1692816663294.png

I would not recommend anything over 95 ft-lbs.

1/2" Impacts can go well over this easily when you have good air source and very impact. Even my Air Cat at the first hammer is at 90 ft-lbs or more. and I got on the end of 100' 3/8 air hose with a standing pressure of 120 psi. And it drops to around 90 psi when start using the impact.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
You need to get familiar with one of these.
View attachment 66431

I would not recommend anything over 95 ft-lbs.

1/2" Impacts can go well over this easily when you have good air source and very impact. Even my Air Cat at the first hammer is at 90 ft-lbs or more. and I got on the end of 100' 3/8 air hose with a standing pressure of 120 psi. And it drops to around 90 psi when start using the impact.

I've got one and will be using it on the new bearings.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
PT also every so often you need to check its calibration. I had several HF one that failed. Currently I using a digital torque adapter to test my 3/8 and 1/2 torque wrenches. I am working getting away from the HF wrenches as the last three in a row failed calibration tests right out of the box. One HF 1/2 was over 15ft/lbs off. Kinda explain why I was stripping some screw threads.

With torque adapter I was supposed to be able to use a pull bar with it but it just clumsy for me. I just not that nimble.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
At least one of the 2 bearings need to be a push fit with your fingers to prevent a horrible side thrust on the race and balls .

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
It could be you are side loading the bearings too much. Try loosening the retainer and test. It tuns out to be side loading problem then the spacer is a hair too short.
Or too long . That's why 1 bearing should be a light push fit because when both bearings are press fit and you press on the outer race to seat those the inner races are pushed out or pulled in when the blade nut is tightned .

Last edited:

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Or too long . That's why 1 bearing should be a light push fit because when both bearings are press fit and you press on the outer race to seat those the inner races are pushed out or pulled in when the blade nut is tightned .

This makes me think the spacer isn't square with the center of the bearing. Even with the shaft inserted.

Holy heck. Once the deck is up on the lift, this is normally a 20 minute job. The hardest thing I've ever ran across is getting the old ones out.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
This makes me think the spacer isn't square with the center of the bearing. Even with the shaft inserted.

Holy heck. Once the deck is up on the lift, this is normally a 20 minute job. The hardest thing I've ever ran across is getting the old ones out.
That why I asked what size was those pin holes. As I may have to get another pin wrench. My current adjustable pin wrench only has one size pin.

Actually I am surprised you got the spindle apart. The last Ariens Zoom I worked on the hub was rusted solid to the threads. nothing I had would break it apart. I think that is why that Ariens.Gravely only offers complete spindles on these.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I suggest measuring the spacer length and the distance between the outer race seats . The ones i've measured the spacer length was around 0.008" longer than the 2 bearing seat distance . Of course when the outer races are pressed until they seat in their space that tends to push the inner races apart by 0.008"although possibly 0.004" for each bearing . Likewise if the spacer is shorter when the blade nut is torqued that tends to pull the 2 inner races together . Neither of those conditions are good .

Last edited: