New spindle bearings, still howling

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
ZT42. 915178

The deck bearings where howling so after replacing them with new, after tightening them up, they still howl. Especially one, that has resistance when I turn the blade. Remove the spindle, and rotate the bearings with your finger, and they're quiet as a mouse. Nice and smooth.

These are the spindles that has no nut on top. One nut, with two holes that pull the bearings together, with a spacer and hold them in place. (countersinks into the bottom of the spindle) Then has the blade nut.

Bearings are square in their place. Spacers are all in.

I replaced these spindles 4 years ago, almost to the date, with OEM.

Also, I'm thinking about removing the inside seals on these bearings, since I can't remember where I got them, and installing grease zerks. What's a good grease to use?

Thanks in advance.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The problem might spacers are not long enough for the new bearings. I know the bearings I using on HD52 spindle here requires me to shorten them. Now I don't which bearings the spindles you have uses. All I know is not all bearings are the same thickness.

All while I thinking about this what size are those pin holes?

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
The problem might spacers are not long enough for the new bearings. I know the bearings I using on HD52 spindle here requires me to shorten them. Now I don't which bearings the spindles you have uses. All I know is not all bearings are the same thickness.

All while I thinking about this what size are those pin holes?
I checked them with my my calipers. The only thing that could be wrong with the measurements is the 3rd digit right of the decimal It only will read 2 digits. .00 instead of .000. But the first two on the height, ID and OD match.

Something I did notice was after removing that one spindle, the top bearing was pushed out just a hair. Maybe 1/64. Enough to be noticeable. I have to deadblow it back into place with just a tap or two.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm gonna try some PGN sealed bearings. It says they're rated for 20,000 RPM. I've used PGN in my landlords gravely. The one I use to mower her 5acres with.

PGN website.
Model: 6203-2RS
Clearance: C3
Material: 100% Chrome Steel
Greased / Lubricated: Yes
Bore (Inner) Diameter: 17 mm
Outer Diameter: 40 mm
Width (Thickness): 12 mm
Supported Revolutions per Minute (RPM): 20,000

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
FYI, just to make sure, I'm almost positive I got this right. But maybe not. The dust cover goes on top of the bearing, then the small spacer, then the pulley (that welded to the spindle shaft). Or should the spacer be touching the bearing?

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Have you checked the tensioner pulleys, they will howl like coyotes also.

Oh yeah, those are good. But I don't have any belts connected atm. It's off the mower. I'm just free spinning them.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you have a mechanics stethoscope, I found my ears work better that fingers when looking for bad bearings.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you have a mechanics stethoscope, I found my ears work better that fingers when looking for bad bearings.

One thing I just thought about was the first nut that screws about 1" inside the spindle housing. That turns also. And may be be rubbing the inside edge of the spindle housing. I'll try the ears tomorrow. I don't have a stethoscope. But I do have enough extensions to work.

Turning the blades and counting the seconds.
Blade one........ 11 seconds til it stops.
Blade two (center) 20 seconds
Blade 3 (the loudest one) 8 seconds

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
It could be you are side loading the bearings too much. Try loosening the retainer and test. It tuns out to be side loading problem then the spacer is a hair too short.