New Hustler Raptor SD Owner

BoylermanCT

Threads
After doing months of research, and looking at Husqvarna, Scag, Hustler, Ferris, Cub Cadet, Simplicity and Bad Boy, I bought a Raptor SD 54" from the only dealer in CT I could find that had them with the Kawasaki engine (They have 2-3 left in anyone is interested). Took it home yesterday, waiting for the grass to grow a bit so I can see how it performs. It'll be in the 90's this week, so my 4 acres of lawn won't be growing too much!

I have ordered the flex forks, engine guard, muffler shield and Oregon G5 blades to upgrade the mower, they should all be here within a week.

I have been reading about the deck modification of cutting out the triangle at the back of the discharge area, and am considering doing that, as the grass gets really thick in the spring. Will see if the deck clogs up and decide from there.

Any other upgrades or modifications I should consider? This is my first zero turn, I've been a tractor guy for too long. Hoping the SD will be a good, reliable mower for many years to come.

RhettWS

Threads
Good luck with your new mower. I think you hit all the high points for upgrades/modifications. I've not cut out that corner yet on the deck. Still considering it.

I'm going to build my own muffler shield when I get around to it. Having one really is needed unless you have a convenient place to park on concrete or dirt. I have that available to me but I have to remember to do it. Sort of in the habit now but I will still make the shield. I want to not only take care of the grass but I want to reflect the heat away from the engine and the hydro units.

577jersey

Threads
Congrats on the RSD,
I would also take the belt covers off or notch them out on the ends so you can blow the grass out after use,,grass likes to get clogged in there and burn things up once in a while...great mower I use one commercially for 60 hours now and only had a tension spring snap...easy fix though.

Tom

BoylermanCT

Threads
Thanks Tom. Will look at making a way to easily blow them out or remove them.

Did you ever cut away the bar going across the discharge chute? That was the one thing I didn't like on the mower was a fabricated deck with a stamped deck design.

577jersey

Threads
No but I plan too if I keep it longer than 300 hours after warranty is up...you will or should add/weld a piece of round bar to the top of the opening for added support if you do cut it off.
I cut 15" wet grass with mine,,it blows big chunks once in a while but after a double cut the lawn looks perfect so its not really an issue for me.

I did notch out the ends of my belt covers so I could blow the grass out every day though.

Great mower for the price so far!!!

Tom

BoylermanCT

Threads
Tom, can you post a pic of your belt cover modification? The video on your original post from last month is not working. I want to see how you cut the covers. I would like to leave them on, and have an easy way to blow them out each time. Thanks!

577jersey

Threads
Ok,,will do a little later when I get in...I deleted some of my videos from youtube cause I got sick of all the negative bullcrap.

Tom

577jersey

Threads
Sorry the pic is flip phone quality all I had...just make sure you cut it below the bend on the top so you keep the strength of the cover.
I used a 4-1/2" angle grinder with cut off wheel works great,,alot of guys just take them off but I like the way it looks with the covers on it so I figured out this mod...you can even file the edges on the cut and make it look alot nicer than mine :)

BTW-Hardly any grass at all gets stuck in there any more,,even if you don’t blow it out,the deck stays clean with this mod,just the turbulence from the belt and pulleys spinning is enough to blow,push,and fling things out...the covers being cut like this act like a wind tunnel so without the covers the deck would get dirtier IMO this is a MUST DO mod for all Raptors!!

0726161236.jpg

BoylermanCT

Threads
Thank you Tom. I like how you modified the covers. I will be doing the same thing.

Funny how your design is very similar to the pulley guards on my Craftsman tractor which cost 1/2 the price of the Raptor SD!

577jersey

Threads
Hahaha,,i think I know what you are talking about,,hey some engineers just need a little more common sense and maybe we wouldn’t have to mod these mowers..lol
The stamped deck chute design I agree is the worst part of the RSD,,guess they had to try and idiot proof it some...I bet with that bottom bar cut out this deck will throw and spray grass 25ft no problem,especially with flap bungeed up :)