New husqvarna problem

kimber1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,
So not only do I owen a new husqvarna 24hp 48 deck but this is the first time I have ever used a mower in my life. My father just passed away & I can 't pay for a gardener any longer (sad story over) anyways I thought I did my research on this mower & felt it was a safe buy.
Where did I go wrong? The first day I used it I was hauling yard trash & had know problems with it a few hours later while mowing the lawn it started stalling. I went back to the trouble shooting book & it said I was driving to fast :rolleyes: ok , or I was driving to slow, ( please make up my mind!) . So I tried slowing down, going faster needless to say nothing is working. I called lowes & they are sending a new mower out since it's only two weeks old but I can't help but feel I might have been doing something wrong, but what? I did get the extended warranty , & while some may lol about this I am the lady who can brake diamonds with out even trying :wink: , god I sound pathetic, is operating a lawn mower this hard?

midnite rider

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ya'll just need to get use to each other. Make sure you have fresh gas for the new machine as todays gas can go bad rather quickly especially in a high humidity enviroment like the sunshine state. Welcome to the forum.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
A few things to be mindful of:
Read and understand the operation of your machine from the operators manual, if you don't understand any or parts of the operators manual find a qualified person to explain it to you. Very few big box stores have qualified sales people in their outdoor equipment departments.
The mower deck cut height must be set before mowing, the mower deck must be in the lowered position for mowing, the engine should be at full throttle for mowing, the mower deck clutch engaged, the ground speed of the machine is controlled by the position of the travel pedal.
When hauling a trailer behind the machine it is best to have the throttle advanced some so as to not lug the engine and powertrain and again controlling the ground speed with the travel pedal.
If your original machine had some gasoline put in it at some time previous to it being delivered to you, the gasoline may have gone bad.
Your original machine may have had a problem early in it's use such as a component failure.
You need to learn how to check the engine oil level before each use of this machine and know what type oil it uses and how to add engine oil when the level is below the operating range on the dip stick.
On a cold start you need to use choke to get the engine to run, but pull the choke lever back to fully open very soon after engine start and during operation.
I hope this info is helpfull to you and not insulting.:smile:
Mad Mackie in CT

Last edited:

poloman

Threads
Good advice from mad mackie. I think the two most likely causes are low oil level and leaving the choke on after the engine is warmed up. Most machines are in choke position when the throttle lever is pushed as far as it will go. If uou pull it back a bit you will have turned off the choke. Hope this helps.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don't deal with many machines that have single lever throttle/choke and forget about them. I don't like them as they force the engine to start at full throttle although the operator can retard the lever quickly after starting.
Thank you for bringing this up.
Mad Mackie in CT

kimber1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for all of the advice, & in know way was I insulated Mr mad mackie! I spent a lot of time reading the book before I even started it, so locating the oil stick & even changing the oil is going to be easy to do. (Now putting on the mulching blades was a little hard but I have small hands so I should not complain) I guess now when I think back to the first time I started it I had to do what was called purging the motor before I could use it, well even then it would stall ( new gas with sta-bil & ethanol treatment). I've been reading else were that it might have somthing to do with the gas cap? I guess my biggest fear is they send me this new mower & it stalls as well, then i guess it would have to be something I am doing wrong :frown:
Thanks again for the advice & I will keep you up todate with the new mower!

- Kimber

PS maybe I'll just have a beer & go out & kick the mower :biggrin:

poloman

Threads
Wave a large screwdriver at it. If that doesn't work wave a hammer. :)