New HRX, smells hot

alanwagen

Threads
I guess this is normal break in but I thought I would check. After I am done mowing and shut the machine down, it has a funky metallic smell. Sort smells hot if that makes sense. No problems mowing. And yes, it does have oil in it. I used the Honda oil that came with it. It was rated API SM. I have only mowed 3 times. Normal??

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Alan, Relying on the nose for heat condition doesn't work. If really concerned borrow an infra red temp gun and take some measurements. Then ask your dealer.

logan01

Threads
If this a new machine, funny "burning" smells is not at all unusual. Different composites/alloys react in different manners to temperatures. As long as no wires are burning, oil looks and smells ok, you should be fine.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
A "hot" smell on a new engine is normal.

All those internal parts are settling into a new relationship. The piston rings are in a um, discussion with the cylinder wall and each are flinging microscopic bits of metal at each other trying to establish dominance. The spark plug is the Alpha Male, and causes the fuel and air mixture to explode, which sorta interferes with the piston a bit, causing even more bits to fly around. The valves are desperately trying to referee, but are limited by the camshaft, a by-the-book type, with a precise agenda. In reality, the camshaft is manipulated by the timing belt, who people tend to tread as "the new guy" even though he's been around for almost 25 years. :tongue: :tongue:

All this activity generates a LOT of heat, and the engine block has to put up with all of it. It responds with absorbing a lot, but lets off a bit of an odor in the process. It does not last long, and after a few hours, the stink will go away for good. :thumbsup:

alanwagen

Threads
Thanks Robert, I suspected and hoped it was just breaking-in. Funny answer.

I love this machine, it is a beast. Smooth and powerful. I am wishing the grass would grow faster.
regards, Alan

alanwagen

Threads
After the first oil change, I am thinking of using Mobil 1 Extended Performance synthetic as it has more Zinc than regular Mobil 1. Really no extra cost as it is leftover from our car oil changes. I want this to the last mower I ever buy.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
After the first oil change, I am thinking of using Mobil 1 Extended Performance synthetic as it has more Zinc than regular Mobil 1. Really no extra cost as it is leftover from our car oil changes. I want this to the last mower I ever buy.

Here's a few resources for the new Honda owner:

Shop Manuals; available in paper format only, direct from Honda via eBay or Amazon (free shipping).:
Honda Power Equipment Shop Manuals on eBay
Honda Power Equipment Shop Manuals on Amazon

Digital Owners Manuals (free):
Honda Lawn Mower Owner's Manuals

Official Parts Look-Up Page:
Honda Power Equipment, Engines and Marine Factory Parts Lookup
Tip: Google any part number to find a Honda Dealer selling it online

Dealer Locater:
Find A Honda Dealer

Warranty:
Honda Warranty Information
Note: Any Honda dealer can provide warranty service. Does not matter if you didn't buy it from them, except some dealers will put those that did at the front of the line.

Support Videos:
Honda Support Videos
How to, set-up, operation, and maintenance tips.

Avoid the #1 Mower Service Problem:
Avoiding Fuel-Related Problems

FAQs:
Honda FrequentlyAskedQuestions

Contact Honda Customer Relations:
Contact Honda Customer Relations

Drop me a PM with your mailing address and I'll send you some "I Love My Honda" stickers.

TLAR640

Threads

alanwagen,
Both 10w30 Extended Performance and regular Mobil1 have 900 ppm of zinc and a viscosity of 10.2 and 10.1 cSt, respectively, per their website. Take a look at Mobil1 10w30 High Mileage, which is on the thick side of 10w30 at 12.0 cSt and has a healthy dose of zinc with 1100 ppm. For an air cooled engine with no cat, it makes sense to me.

alanwagen

Threads
alanwagen,
Both 10w30 Extended Performance and regular Mobil1 have 900 ppm of zinc and a viscosity of 10.2 and 10.1 cSt, respectively, per their website. Take a look at Mobil1 10w30 High Mileage, which is on the thick side of 10w30 at 12.0 cSt and has a healthy dose of zinc with 1100 ppm. For an air cooled engine with no cat, it makes sense to me.
Thanks, I am going for that.

alanwagen

Threads
Changed the oil today. And the smell had gone away. Gas mileage is getting better too. That first tank went fast. Come on grass, hurry up and grow, I want play, err I mean mow with my new Honda.