New Courage V twin no compression

Deerlane

Threads
I would remove rocker covers and plugs. Roll engine over by hand. Look at the valves work and the timing of the roll over point at top dead center. From intake to exh valve and piston timing. This will tell you if can timing has changed and if valves are working proper.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I wouldn't touch that engine with a wrench no matter how bad I wanted to investigate the cause. The people that sell them are looking for any nit picking thing they can find not to make good on the warranty. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't attempt to blame E-10 gas.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Double ditto.

Take it back.
Low compression on both cylinders is not going to anything simple or cheap.
Only time I have come across this on a new engine was a run with no oil, cost the owner another new engine.
On older engines have seen cam drive pack it in .

TR5T

Forum Newbie
Threads
The mower is at the preferred Kohler service station. The drill is a s follows:service people have to make appointment with Kohler rep who will come to service station and observe the engine teardown and decision will ultimately come from Kohler rep not the service people. Service station lead mechanic says that Kohler not too hard to work with. Mostly not trusting service personnel to make decisions. He allows that Kohler much easier to work with than Kawasaki. Meanwhile I am having difficult time sleeping as the grass is growing so fast that I can hear it in the quiet nights here in the country where i live and the constant sound of the grass growing is disturbing my sleep.

gainestruk

Threads
IMO everyone should be careful telling an owner to do anything to an engine that's under warranty, I know I would feel awfull if I said to work on an engine (or mower) and then the manufacturer would not honor warranty because of that.

KrashnKraka

Threads
IMO everyone should be careful telling an owner to do anything to an engine that's under warranty, I know I would feel awfull if I said to work on an engine (or mower) and then the manufacturer would not honor warranty because of that.

Ditto... tis dangerous advice.

Then again, folks as myself have no need for or value warranty.
I cannot know the leagalese in your location but in Aust. there
are consumer laws for "fit for purpose" and extensions of
same in "promise of contract".
Both of those are more than enough in the price-point
lawn tools meet.

DaveTN

Threads
My cousin bought a new riding mower from Lowe's and used it once or twice on her lawn and
it suddenly started making an awful clanking and clanging sound like a mule kicking in a tin
stall. Yet it ran I was told. I went over to try and find out what was wrong with it. The instant
I fired it up I killed it. I knew something "internal" had given it up and told her to load it and
not start it up period and haul it to the dealer-authorized service center. Not the closest shop
mind you, but 14 miles away across town. What happened was a broken camshaft! Broken in
two pieces, yet enough of the rough edges and the angle on which is broke kept it together with
the pressure from the block and the plate that held the camshaft! A new cam and valve adjustment
and it's running fine today. So beware of doing even minor work on a "warranty" unit. As far as
your motor having low to no compression it could be valves out of adjustment, or the rocker arm off
its pivot, a bad cam, or bent pushrod. Let us know what the Kohler Doctors find out on your
patient. :thumbsup:

TR5T

Forum Newbie
Threads
(No)Progress report:
Kohler authorized service station has confirmed no compression on either cylinder and called Kohler rep 4 times with no response from Kohler. I am now checking the Farm Bulletin for some goats to purchase or perhaps a hay baler.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
The authorized service center may have to get a chineeeeese translator so the koholer rep can understand the problem.:laughing: