Export thread

new chainsaw advice stihl ms250 or husqvarna 445

metz12

metz12

So, here i am asking about chainsaw advice again. But I just picked up a huge job for clearing dead trees (there is like 20-30 of them on the property) and I have been using my dads ms170 (for those of you that read my last chainsaw post, yes i got my dad a stihl ms170 and he and i both like it.) for the small jobs that i have done and its just not "cut" :)laughing:) it for this big job. so im curious which saw i should go with, a stihl ms250, or a husqvarna 445. Im kind of leaning toward the 445 because it is the new version of my old faithful husqvarna 345 (R.I.P). they both are right around the same price and both have great reviews. thanks in advance.

here are the links to both of them on the dealer websites

HUSQVARNA 445 - Chainsaws

MS 250 Chain Saw - High Performance Compact Chainsaw | STIHL USA Mobile

T

tybilly

im partial to stihl. I like the intelicarb you can still finish the job with a dirty air filter,.made in usa,those both are good saws, both have that german technology,potato pototo.lol

Ric

Ric

So, here i am asking about chainsaw advice again. But I just picked up a huge job for clearing dead trees (there is like 20-30 of them on the property) and I have been using my dads ms170 (for those of you that read my last chainsaw post, yes i got my dad a stihl ms170 and he and i both like it.) for the small jobs that i have done and its just not "cut" :)laughing:) it for this big job. so im curious which saw i should go with, a stihl ms250, or a husqvarna 445. Im kind of leaning toward the 445 because it is the new version of my old faithful husqvarna 345 (R.I.P). they both are right around the same price and both have great reviews. thanks in advance.

here are the links to both of them on the dealer websites

HUSQVARNA 445 - Chainsaws

MS 250 Chain Saw - High Performance Compact Chainsaw | STIHL USA Mobile

I'm running the MS 180 and I really like it. If you and your dad both like the Stihl I'd stay with it. Personally I'd go with the Stihl MS 250 with the 18" bar.

metz12

metz12

well my dad loves his 170, and i think its a cool little saw but i still like husqvarnas because i had such good luck with my 345. its the classic chevy, ford debate.

Ric

Ric

well my dad loves his 170, and i think its a cool little saw but i still like husqvarnas because i had such good luck with my 345. its the classic chevy, ford debate.

Now wouldn't it figure I like Ford :laughing: Hey if you like the Husqvarna go with it :thumbsup: it's a good saw.

davbell22602

davbell22602

Im 100% Stihl all the way. I dont like Husqvarna for anything. Quality seems too cheap on there saws. Just my opinion.

metz12

metz12

Now wouldn't it figure I like Ford :laughing: Hey if you like the Husqvarna go with it :thumbsup: it's a good saw.

well its funny, you like stihl i like husqvarna, you like ford and i like gm. but i'm just undecided. ive heard good and bad things about both.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

well its funny, you like stihl i like husqvarna, you like ford and i like gm. but i'm just undecided. ive heard good and bad things about both.

How about Chevy and Echo? :tongue::laughing:

metz12

metz12

thats different! i guess it works. as long as you dont like ford!

P

possum

Go buy one of those cheap green Poulans. By the time it conks out you will have made up your mind.

metz12

metz12

well i went out and prepped the area to be accessible with my buddys truck. i cut some small trees and brush with my dads saw. if i dont decide then i can always use his for right now.

davbell22602

davbell22602

Ever thought about buying a Dolmar chainsaw? There just as good as stihl and better than husqvarna.

Kodie's Lawn Service

Kodie's Lawn Service

I would also lok at the cs-400 from echo it has a great air system, adjustable oiler, 40cc's nice bar an chain adjuster an for 300 you can't beat it :smile:

E

edd

bought a husqvarna 455 rancher 8 years ago.......replaced a poulan professional grade i used for 17 years.....nothing but problems......i heat entirely with wood so i have to use my saw a lot.....started buying disposable poulan wood sharks at wal mart and tractor supply for 100 dollars on sale.......use them 3 or 4 years and then get another one.....routine maintenance is all.....i have 3 and swap them out after a tankful of gas......

P

possum

I know a couple fence builders that do that. Buy a new Poulan every three months. Always have 3 or 4 on hand and swap them out as they run out of fuel. They get along pretty good. Sometimes they swap out parts. Now and then they buy a few parts.

metz12

metz12

I would also lok at the cs-400 from echo it has a great air system, adjustable oiler, 40cc's nice bar an chain adjuster an for 300 you can't beat it :smile:

hey that looks to be interesting. the reviews are pretty good on home depot.

metz12

metz12

Ever thought about buying a Dolmar chainsaw? There just as good as stihl and better than husqvarna.

i dont really want to buy a saw online, id rather buy one locally so if i have a problem then i can just bring it back. there arnt any dolmar dealers around here

bt3

bt3

I know this is an older thread, but wanted to add my 2 1/2 cents worth.

Before I got my Farmboss, I had an MS250. It came (back then) with a 16" bar. I think they now come 18" standard.

Man, that saw cut everything I threw its way without missing a beat. GREAT saw. I beat the living daylights out of it. I probably fell 30 HUGE trees with it. To the limit of the bar. 16" bases. Oak and Ash mostly.. Fell them, cut them, trimmed them. I also pruned countless trees for myself and my neighbors. I used the saw so much, I had two chains on hand so that I could always have a fresh chain while the shop was sharpening my spare. NO, I don't sharpen my own blades. I know it's not that difficult, but I prefer the Stihl dealer do it for me, professionally, and correctly every time.

Originally, I thought about a Husqvarna. A professional tree service owner gave me the straight scoop. He said Husqvarna are "generally" higher revving saws. This has a few advantages, however, he always grabbed his Stihl first. He preferred the higher torque found in a Stihl. Overall, he recommended I buy a Stihl over a Husky. Both are great saws. Personally, I'm glad I went with Stihl.

I sold it for decent money WELL used and the guy that bought it still uses it. It's just a GREAT saw. In my opinion, one of the most ROBUST homeowner saws on the market.

I decided to upgrade to a Farmboss. But honestly, that MS250 was one hellava saw. Absolutely no complaints. None whatsoever :thumbsup:

M

Mad Mackie

In my trailer are a Husqvarna 240, 455, 390XP and a T540XP hanging alongside Stihl string trimmers, hedge trimmer, backpack blower. I prefer Husqvarna saws to Stihl, but I prefer Stihl other equipment to Husqvarna, go figure! In the 70s I was a mechanic at a power equipment/boat dealer. We did Homelite, McCulloch, Pioneer and Stihl all under one roof, along with Gravely, Bolens, Case GTs and who knows what, but with different addresses. Ad Johnson outboards, OMC, Mercruiser and Volvo inboard/outboards, Perkins, Volvo and Caterpillar diesel inboard engines. Four mechanics, four riggers and yard crew.
The local tree guys that I know use Stihl saws, the west coast tree guys that I know use Husqvarna saws, not sure why!!!
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

bt3

bt3

Yes, Husky makes a great saw, and if you prefer higher revs, then a Husky is for you. From reading other forums and quizzing my professional tree guy, this is what I gleaned;

Husky has higher revs. This allows a more instant up-to-speed throttle and quicker cut through. Especially useful when falling trees for speeding through that final cut faster as the tree falls.

Stihl has more low end torque. This allows for more power through the power band even at the low end. Especially useful for powering through even the toughest cut of wood with ease.

One supposed "pro mechanic" said that he prefers the "ease of working on a Stihl". I have no experience on Husky, so I can't debate this, but my Stihl seems easy enough to work on. I would assume Husky is not too far off this mark.

They are BOTH excellent saws and each has their own merits. I just prefer Stihl. And with what I put my poor MS250 through, I can vouch for the fact that it takes a beating and keeps on eating (wood). :wink:

However, I may buy a used Husky just to compare the two. I've got a huge amount of wood cutting to do either this spring or fall. I'd love to PERSONALLY compare the two. I'll have to have an equivalent to my Farmboss, but that would be a fun project to undertake. Love personal comparisons. It's why I own both Snapper and a Lawnboy classic mowers.

PS - I did own an original Homelite that I wish I still had. This was before they sold out and moved production out of the US. I loved that little trim saw. Amazing quality.