New Carb Surges

z28derick

Threads
I just bought a new carb for my YardMachine (linked below). The thing hunts and surges and won't run with the choke off. Well, it runs even worse with the choke off and wants to die. There's no adjustment other than the idle mixture. I've tried adjusting it every which way. I replace the carb in 2017 and recall the other one doing that too for at least a few months before leveling out. Any suggestions on this? Reason I replace was because the fuel shutoff solenoid started leaking. I've got half a mind to just replace that with the new one off the new carb and put the old carb back on.

Last edited:

skippymud

Threads
Maybe starving of fuel. First thoughts: You might have an air leak going on somewhere, or an obstruction in the governor linkage. Fuel filter clogged? Do share the make and model# of your engine when able

z28derick

Threads
Maybe starving of fuel. First thoughts: You might have an air leak going on somewhere, or an obstruction in the governor linkage. Fuel filter clogged? Do share the make and model# of your engine when able
I'll have to grab the model number tomorrow. I didn't change a thing other than the carb, took maybe 30 min. Looked at the old carb "settings" in terms of idle and idle mixture as it's an identical carb. Didn't change anything with the linkage and it's also a brand new fuel filter.

z28derick

Threads
B&S 313777

Forest#2

Threads
You say:
Reason I replace was because the fuel shutoff solenoid started leaking.

What were the symptoms of this?
Was it leaking externally at the bottom of the bowl or was you getting gas into the oil or what?????????

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Since you installed an aftermarket and not a model/type OEM carburetor most likely it is jetted on the lean side.

And Forrest asked how it was leaking. As the fuel solenoid has nothing to do fuel in the oil problem. It just help eliminate the after fire in the muffler as you shut down the engine.

z28derick

Threads
The leak was dripping right out of the bottom onto the frame. There's no fuel in the oil that I can tell, it still looks good.

Edit: Quick follow up question. Since I recall the other one doing this for a good while and eventually leveling out, should I just go ahead and mow with this one? Any harm if it's running too lean for a while? Perhaps just leave the choke on? I haven't run the blades yet to see how it acts under load.

Last edited:

Forest#2

Threads
What is strange is the fuel solenoid itself USUALLY does not leak/drip unless it's loose, cross threaded or the little thin metal seal gasket is not installed or it's been somehow bent/mutilated/molested and damaged.

About your questions.
Yes you can try swapping the fuel solenoids if they are the same physically.

Yes you can run the mower with the choke on, it's just aggravating.
Like Star Tech says you are rolling the dice going with clone carbs. Some are not jetted correctly
Do you still have your OEM Nikki carb that was running good except for the solenoid dripping?.
We can give you little more info about your carb if we had the complete Model, type and code from your engine?

z28derick

Threads
What is strange is the fuel solenoid itself USUALLY does not leak/drip unless it's loose, cross threaded or the little thin metal seal gasket is not installed or it's been somehow bent/mutilated/molested and damaged.

About your questions.
Yes you can try swapping the fuel solenoids if they are the same physically.

Yes you can run the mower with the choke on, it's just aggravating.
Like Star Tech says you are rolling the dice going with clone carbs. Some are not jetted correctly
Do you still have your OEM Nikki carb that was running good except for the solenoid dripping?.
We can give you little more info about your carb if we had the complete Model, type and code from your engine?
Yeah I still have the same old one. It's identical to the new one. Engine Model B&S 313777 Type 0112-E1 Code 000508ZE.

What are you thoughts about running it as is for a mow? It doesn't die at full throttle with the choke off but it does surge "vroom vroom vroom" up and down every half a second. I know I've heard other people mowing like that in the past but don't want to be one of them 😅😅😅

z28derick

Threads
UPDATE: So I put the old one back on and switched the fuel solenoid and it's now running good again! Side note on where the solenoid was leaking. It wasn't leaking where it attached to the bowl, it was leaking out of the very bottom where the plug plugs in. Once I got it off I could move the plug around a little and the new one is solid. I'm going to give it a mow and see how the rest does. Appreciate everyone's insight.

Edit: The mow went great! it purrs now and no leak 😎

Last edited: