Needing some cheap parts

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
I think if I was in a service business I put a decent sized chart on the wall with the names of deadbeat customers, date, and amount owed. Might get word around and some apologies, visits, and payments might follow.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
It can work but the are liable issues involved so those do this hopefully have records to back up things. Lawsuits can be filed just to a pain sometimes but once rules that usually takes care the problem. When it is the customer that is bad mouthing the business; sometimes, all it take is a certified crease and desist letter from your attorney that they must sign for.

Most times it not worth the trouble on smaller amounts especially if the biggest part of the bill is labor. We do however have a legal recourse available to most people and that is the small claims court system, just need everything well documented.

As for me I just flag their accounts here as "STOPPED" which means no further services rendered. Kinda strange though as I had one not to pay for 1-1/2 yrs then he needed some more work done. He paid up his account plus the monthly interest charges but he did end up paying before I release his mower this time. Still set at "CONCERNED" which means I take in his repair work but won't release the equipment until paid.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I think if I was in a service business I put a decent sized chart on the wall with the names of deadbeat customers, date, and amount owed. Might get word around and some apologies, visits, and payments might follow.

I would never do something like that. I never bad mouth a customer to another customer either. Customers should not be aware of any negative issues with another customer.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Publicly naming deadbeats is not a good idea, as it will get you in trouble very quickly. Called defamation of character and you will be opening yourself up to legal problems, even if you have a valid reason. They can do it to your business, but you can’t do it to them. Best is to note in your system and refuse unless payment is taken in advanced.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Both the local petrol station have a "wall of shame "
on which they put the photos from the driveway cameras of all of the people who drive off without paying.
The owners have been sued hundreds of times for deformation but have won every case .
Apparently because they put the amount owed and removes every photo when the fuel is payed for it is not considered slander, just a reminder that they forgot to pay .

What he is always blown away by is the number of times he gets a solicitors letter demanding the photo be removed but not offering to pay the outstanding amount.
This is almost universally followed by summons for an astronomical amount .
And a couple have been appealed to the District court in which case it costs the plaintifs thousands .

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Publicly naming deadbeats is not a good idea, as it will get you in trouble very quickly. Called defamation of character and you will be opening yourself up to legal problems, even if you have a valid reason. They can do it to your business, but you can’t do it to them. Best is to note in your system and refuse unless payment is taken in advanced.

Defamation suits aren't nearly impossible to win in a case like this.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Exactly what I do here. Yes it is a lost up front but in the long run things works out. All I ask of these customers is to at least try to pay something, explaining to them that they wouldn't want me to do it to them.