Needing some cheap parts

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've learned from Bert, and a couple other here how important it is to get good quality bearings for importants parts of a mower. Especially the spindles. This one customer I have, who brought in old western auto wizard, I'm having trouble getting parts money upfront from him. Had his mower for a week now, and still not a dime. I'm starting to do that win customers who have more than $100 in parts to be ordered. Anywho, It's tempting to get the cheap ones for his deck. But he mentioned something about taking his last small engine guy to court for a few reasons. One of them was for shoddy repairs. Soooooo, I'm getting OEM bearings for him. IF he can come up with the money.
I'm gonna give him another week, if he doesn't come up with the money, I'll put his parts back on it, and take it back to his house. "No charge."

You are starting to learn how it works sometimes. If you fix mowers for money you are basically working under the same rules that govern auto repair shops. Most customers will want a "ballpark" figure when they drop something off. Some folks will take that as the max figure. Communication with your customers is key. When the repairs will be more than what the customer was told call and tell them what it will cost. I will give cuatomers the option of OEM or aftermarket if the difference is signifigant. There is that 1% of customers you don't really need. If they complain about other shops beware. After you do it long enough you learn what customers you need to quote a price high enough they won't leave it with you. There will always be that one customer who has a worn out mower or chainsaw that wants the forever warranty for anything. After 40 years as a service rep i can read customers pretty well. Be courteous and professional but find a reason you can't work on it. Lots of shops do it every day. If you do get involved with one of the 1% turds sometimes better to cut your losses but be sure to professionally tell them to not come back, ever.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yelp, After years of dealing with the public you get where you read most with in a few minutes of meeting then over a possible repair. And yes always respond business like as you can even when facing an irate customer.

I had one customer last year that nearly destroyed their deck after mowing three times with it and want me to repair it for free under the warranty where I did extensive deck rebuild. I ended up repairing it at cost and telling the customer not to come back. What I suspected happen was they loaned the mower out and it came back broken.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I had a customer drop off his mower that I repaired, and then set for 3 months before he picked it up, then the next day put a stop payment on the $144 check that he wrote for payment. Guy thought he would get off cheap when I filled a claim against him in court. $316 court judgement against him with a 30 day court ordered payment sent a nice message. Found out months later that he had pulled this same stunt on 3 other shops that just let is slide.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
You are starting to learn how it works sometimes. If you fix mowers for money you are basically working under the same rules that govern auto repair shops. Most customers will want a "ballpark" figure when they drop something off. Some folks will take that as the max figure. Communication with your customers is key. When the repairs will be more than what the customer was told call and tell them what it will cost. I will give cuatomers the option of OEM or aftermarket if the difference is signifigant. There is that 1% of customers you don't really need. If they complain about other shops beware. After you do it long enough you learn what customers you need to quote a price high enough they won't leave it with you. There will always be that one customer who has a worn out mower or chainsaw that wants the forever warranty for anything. After 40 years as a service rep i can read customers pretty well. Be courteous and professional but find a reason you can't work on it. Lots of shops do it every day. If you do get involved with one of the 1% turds sometimes better to cut your losses but be sure to professionally tell them to not come back, ever.

I was thinking real hard about putting his stuff back on his mower and taking it back, when a friend of his called and needed work on her mower, because of the other shop. I just got finished with it, and the other shop literally just throws things together. I found a bolt laying under the dash, that didn't get put back in. The battery they installed was a 150CCA, labeled "for 10HP." IIRC, 420CC puts out about 15hp. This engine (powermore) only has about 90lb compression, so it's probably about 12 or less.
Who knows. Anywho, after getting a referral, I thought I'd give the guy another week to come up with the money.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I had a customer drop off his mower that I repaired, and then set for 3 months before he picked it up, then the next day put a stop payment on the $144 check that he wrote for payment. Guy thought he would get off cheap when I filled a claim against him in court. $316 court judgement against him with a 30 day court ordered payment sent a nice message. Found out months later that he had pulled this same stunt on 3 other shops that just let is slide.

Did you get your money?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If IL is like me he got it as I had to do the same thing to a customer. Boy the court costs were three times the initial repair bill. What worst the customer had the money, just tried to get by not paying as she already had her mower back.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Did you get your money?
Yes. He agreed to the payment in open court, so failure could of resulted in jail time.

The guy past away about 4 years later due to an overdose of prescription pain killers.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If IL is like me he got it as I had to do the same thing to a customer. Boy the court costs were three times the initial repair bill. What worst the customer had the money, just tried to get by not paying as she already had her mower back.
Don't you just love the look on their face when they find out their bill just tripled under court judgment.

I think the best one was last year I had a guy write me a $100 check on ended up being out of a closed account, after trying to contact him and no response turned it over to the county prosecutor. They contacted him by certified mail, and I ran into him after being served, and tried to ask me to give him extra time. I promptly sent him to talk to the prosecutor and see if they would extend him time to respond, which they gave him an extension. He missed the extension got arrested, and after pleading guilty had to pay me restitution and court cost. Total cost of restitution and court fees was $785.

Last edited:

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Luckily i have not had a crappy customer in a few years. Funny thing is the people who want to stiff you have money.