Export thread

Need Advice on New Mower for Business

C

Conn0r33

I have a few customers and I have currently been push mowing all my lawns with two 21 inch push mowers. It would be no big deal for me if it weren't for the commercial properties I have just added this year. The Lawn size on these properties is about 15,000 sq. ft. and it's is all split up around the parking lot. So it's not one big 15k sq ft patch of grass. I am looking at upgrading to a commercial mower just for the reliability. And the fact that I won't have to walk on two 15k sq. ft. properties any more.

The gross lot sizes for the rest of my residential customers is between 6,800-11,500 sq. ft. there is one anomaly though it is 14,500 sq. ft. but it doesn't take any longer because so much of the property is landscaped so even though that one seems bigger it really isn't :confused2:. The commercial property size I have given you of 15k sq ft is just the lawn size. But for the residential customers I have not measured their lawn size so I just got the gross lot size off of the internet I have not subtracted anything at all (house, driveway, sidewalks etc.) So my question is... what deck size would you recommend for these yard sizes?

I'm am currently looking at a few stand-on mowers and walk behinds. I know a company in my town that uses 52-inch ZTRs for yards of this size but it seems like overkill to me. Also some of the lawn's backyards are fenced in but I'm ok with just taking a push mower back there if a bigger mower wouldn't fit. I'm just looking for any suggestions. I was leaning towards 36 or 48 but then I thought about a 52 because it really isn't that much bigger than a 48. But I like the thought of how easy it would be for a 36 to get around stuff in the lawn and in tight spaces. But a 48 would get the more open lawns done much faster.
Thanks,
Connor

S

shiftsuper175607

I have a few customers and I have currently been push mowing all my lawns with two 21 inch push mowers. It would be no big deal for me if it weren't for the commercial properties I have just added this year. The Lawn size on these properties is about 15,000 sq. ft. and it's is all split up around the parking lot. So it's not one big 15k sq ft patch of grass. I am looking at upgrading to a commercial mower just for the reliability. And the fact that I won't have to walk on two 15k sq. ft. properties any more. The gross lot sizes for my the rest of my residential customers is between 6,800-11,500 sq. ft. there is one anomaly though it is 14,500 sq. ft. but it doesn't take any longer because so much of the property is landscaped so even though that one seems bigger it really isn't :confused2:. The commercial property size I have given you of 15k sq ft is just the lawn size. But for the residential customers I have not measured their lawn size so I just got the gross lot size off of the internet I have not subtracted anything at all (house, driveway, sidewalks etc.) So my question is...what deck size would you recommend for these yard sizes? I'm am currently looking at a few stand-on mowers and walk behinds. I know a company in my town that uses 52-inch ZTRs for yards of this size but it seems like overkill to me. Also some of the lawn's backyards are fenced in but I'm ok with just taking a push mower back there if a bigger mower wouldn't fit. I'm just looking for any suggestions. I was leaning towards 36 or 48 but then I thought about a 52 because it really isn't that much bigger than a 48. But I like the thought of how easy it would be for a 36 to get around stuff in the lawn and in tight spaces. But a 48 would get the more open lawns done much faster.
Thanks,
Connor

How many narrow gates will you encounter?
You will have to push mow anything that your new mower can not get to.

Ric

Ric

I have a few customers and I have currently been push mowing all my lawns with two 21 inch push mowers. It would be no big deal for me if it weren't for the commercial properties I have just added this year. The Lawn size on these properties is about 15,000 sq. ft. and it's is all split up around the parking lot. So it's not one big 15k sq ft patch of grass. I am looking at upgrading to a commercial mower just for the reliability. And the fact that I won't have to walk on two 15k sq. ft. properties any more.

The gross lot sizes for my the rest of my residential customers is between 6,800-11,500 sq. ft. there is one anomaly though it is 14,500 sq. ft. but it doesn't take any longer because so much of the property is landscaped so even though that one seems bigger it really isn't :confused2:.

The commercial property size I have given you of 15k sq ft is just the lawn size. But for the residential customers I have not measured their lawn size so I just got the gross lot size off of the internet I have not subtracted anything at all (house, driveway, sidewalks etc.) So my question is...what deck size would you recommend for these yard sizes? I'm am currently looking at a few stand-on mowers and walk behinds.

I know a company in my town that uses 52-inch ZTRs for yards of this size but it seems like overkill to me. Also some of the lawn's backyards are fenced in but I'm ok with just taking a push mower back there if a bigger mower wouldn't fit. I'm just looking for any suggestions.

I was leaning towards 36 or 48 but then I thought about a 52 because it really isn't that much bigger than a 48. But I like the thought of how easy it would be for a 36 to get around stuff in the lawn and in tight spaces. But a 48 would get the more open lawns done much faster.
Thanks,
Connor

The reasons you stated are the reason I have the 36" Grandstand, gates and back yards and tight places. For your more open lawns as you say, the 48" is ideal. Both sizes will up your productivity rate. I often use the Grandstand in my smaller residential yards that have fences and gates and do the whole yard because it saves the time I'd use going back to the trailer and switching mowers. One of the 30" mowers like the Turf Master or Exmark 30" can have a 40% time savings over the 21".

C

Conn0r33

How many narrow gates will you encounter?
You will have to push mow anything that your new mower can not get to.

Well, I only have twelve lawns. Of the twelve only three have small gates. One of those gates is larger and a 36 could fit through for sure but I have not measured it so I don't know if I could fit a 48. Considering that I only have twelve lawns I'm always looking for more business so if they had a gate I would do it even if it was a large backyard and could not even fit a 36 through. And the same goes for large lawns I don't want to turn down potential business so I don't want such a tiny mower that I can't take on larger lawns if I was asked. Now obviously I'm not going to try to do 4 acre properties but I want to be able to do ones larger than what I currently do if I had the chance. I just don't want to limit myself so much that I have not turn down business.

Ric

Ric

Well, I only have twelve lawns. Of the twelve only three have small gates. One of those gates is larger and a 36 could fit through for sure but I have not measured it so I don't know if I could fit a 48. Considering that I only have twelve lawns I'm always looking for more business so if they had a gate I would do it even if it was a large backyard and could not even fit a 36 through. And the same goes for large lawns I don't want to turn down potential business so I don't want such a tiny mower that I can't take on larger lawns if I was asked. Now obviously I'm not going to try to do 4 acre properties but I want to be able to do ones larger than what I currently do if I had the chance. I just don't want to limit myself so much that I have not turn down business.

I may be wrong but it sounds like your in a position where you only have the funds for one mower. If that's the case then the 36" stander would be my choice. It would allow you to do your larger properties and at the same time give you gate access to the back yards.

I understand your trying for more clients and you may think the 48" would give you the most production for your money as it should but you also have to consider the time gains you'll get with the 36" over the 21" your using now. The Yards your doing now with the 21" that take 30 or 40 minutes you'll be doing in half that time with the 36" which will up your productivity allowing you to add more clients and put more money in your pocket.

C

Conn0r33

I may be wrong but it sounds like your in a position where you only have the funds for one mower. If that's the case then the 36" stander would be my choice. It would allow you to do your larger properties and at the same time give you gate access to the back yards.

I understand your trying for more clients and you may think the 48" would give you the most production for your money as it should but you also have to consider the time gains you'll get with the 36" over the 21" your using now. The Yards your doing now with the 21" that take 30 or 40 minutes you'll be doing in half that time with the 36" which will up your productivity allowing you to add more clients and put more money in your pocket.

You would be correct. I could probably afford two walk behinds because they are a lot cheaper. If we are talking about stand-ons I can only afford one. I don't even have a trailer yet. Haha. :)

Ric

Ric

You would be correct. I could probably afford two walk behinds because they are a lot cheaper. If we are talking about stand-ons I can only afford one. I don't even have a trailer yet. Haha. :)

The thing you have to remember about business is how much you have to make money wise to stay in business as well as make a living. To make a decent living at Lawn-care your looking at a minimum of 1$ per minute or 60$ an hour and that's where the mower you buy and its rate of productivity comes in. Yeah you could afford two walk behinds but what good does that do you when one is on the trailer not being used or sitting in the garage not making you a dime. Why have an investment that's not making you any money. In time yes a backup mower like the rest of the equipment you buy would be nice to have but just starting a business unless you have a ton of money you probably can't afford.

C

Conn0r33

The thing you have to remember about business is how much you have to make money wise to stay in business as well as make a living. To make a decent living at Lawn-care your looking at a minimum of 1$ per minute or 60$ an hour and that's where the mower you buy and its rate of productivity comes in. Yeah you could afford two walk behinds but what good does that do you when one is on the trailer not being used or sitting in the garage not making you a dime. Why have an investment that's not making you any money. In time yes a backup mower like the rest of the equipment you buy would be nice to have but just starting a business unless you have a ton of money you probably can't afford.

Sorry I forgot to clarify. I'm 17 so not really needing an income allows me to reinvest most of my money. Also my younger brother works with me so he could use the other walk behind.

Ric

Ric

Sorry I forgot to clarify. I'm 17 so not really needing an income allows me to reinvest most of my money. Also my younger brother works with me so he could use the other walk behind.

Nothing last forever and things have a way of changing. If you're intending to have this thing or business long term you'll need ever dime you can lay your hands on and invest wisely.

With Youth You Learn, With Age You Understand

C

Conn0r33

Nothing last forever and things have a way of changing. If you're intending to have this thing or business long term you'll need ever dime you can lay your hands on and invest wisely.

With Youth You Learn, With Age You Understand

I'm planning on long term. I don't need business advice I am just not sure if I should use one 36 or 48 inch stand on or run two walk behinds. Right now I'm using two 21 inch push mowers because my brother mows with me. So that's 42 inches at work during that time im afraid if I just get one stand on 36 inches even though it is faster im just not sure if lets say im the one trimming and edging i don't want to have to wait on him if I can edge and trim faster than he can mow the lawn.

I'm just looking at it as if I ever got to the point of being able to hire guys to mow I wouldn't want to be paying one to stand around waiting for the other to finish up.

The reason I reinvest me money is because I would like to grow my business as big as I can so that I don't have to mow. I would like a large enough company that I could hire people to mow so that I could focus on growing the business

Ric

Ric

I'm planning on long term. I don't need business advice I am just not sure if I should use one 36 or 48 inch stand on or run two walk behinds. Right now I'm using two 21 inch push mowers because my brother mows with me. So that's 42 inches at work during that time im afraid if I just get one stand on 36 inches even though it is faster I'm just not sure if lets say I'm the one trimming and edging i don't want to have to wait on him if I can edge and trim faster than he can mow the lawn.

I'm just looking at it as if I ever got to the point of being able to hire guys to mow I wouldn't want to be paying one to stand around waiting for the other to finish up.

The reason I reinvest me money is because I would like to grow my business as big as I can so that I don't have to mow. I would like a large enough company that I could hire people to mow so that I could focus on growing the business

If your the one trimming and edging and blowing off, you don't want to have to wait on him :laughing:... I don't think you have to worry about that.

C

Conn0r33

If your the one trimming and edging and blowing off, you don't want to have to wait on him :laughing:... I don't think you have to worry about that.
Well, either way I wouldn't want him waiting on me. I guess I could buy another String trimmer or something to make this work.

Ric

Ric

Well, either way I wouldn't want him waiting on me. I guess I could buy another String trimmer or something to make this work.

Well you buy what you want, it's your business. I will tell you though I've run solo and two man and if the guy that's running the ZTR or Stander is worth his weight there's no way any detail guy if he is worth his wait will ever keep up with the guy running the mower. It can't happen if the detail guy is doing his job.

Carscw

Carscw

Well you buy what you want, it's your business. I will tell you though I've run solo and two man and if the guy that's running the ZTR or Stander is worth his weight there's no way any detail guy if he is worth his wait will ever keep up with the guy running the mower. It can't happen if the detail guy is doing his job.

I agree.
90% of the time I get done mowing first.
And my wife is not slow at all. She does a perfect job.
When I bid a yard I bid it on how much detail work there is.

C

Conn0r33

I agree.
90% of the time I get done mowing first.
And my wife is not slow at all. She does a perfect job.
When I bid a yard I bid it on how much detail work there is.

Ok thanks! I think I will just add another trimmer or edger or blower depending on what seems to be the slowest.

Ric

Ric

Reinvesting in your company is fine and I can understand what your trying to accomplish but I also know what your trying to accomplish 9 out of 10 times never happens unless you have absolutely a ton of money for backing. Larger company's in Lawn care are basically becoming obsolete because of the competition and pricing of the smaller company's that are involved today and there are more popping up everyday with people wanting to make a dollar just to make ends meet.

Ok thanks! I think I will just add another trimmer or edger or blower depending on what seems to be the slowest.

The detail guys are there to do the detail work while you are mowing, They are there to do the clean up after you're gone and mowing the next client, that's there job. You have one guy working with you. Buying or adding another trimmer or edger or blower isn't going to necessarily make you or him any faster, your detail guy can only use one piece of equipment at a time. The only thing you accomplish is having a piece back up equipment.

Now I agree the detail guy should have the best equipment you can buy because the detail guy or work will make or break the business with the job he does or leaves behind but time savings will come with the mower you buy. If you want faster do what every LCO does, buy quality mowers and up grade about every two or three years.

C

Conn0r33

Reinvesting in your company is fine and I can understand what your trying to accomplish but I also know what your trying to accomplish 9 out of 10 times never happens unless you have absolutely a ton of money for backing. Larger company's in Lawn care are basically becoming obsolete because of the competition and pricing of the smaller company's that are involved today and there are more popping up everyday with people wanting to make a dollar just to make ends meet.

The detail guys are there to do the detail work while you are mowing, They are there to do the clean up after you're gone and mowing the next client, that's there job. You have one guy working with you. Buying or adding another trimmer or edger or blower isn't going to necessarily make you or him any faster, your detail guy can only use one piece of equipment at a time. The only thing you accomplish is having a piece back up equipment.

Now I agree the detail guy should have the best equipment you can buy because the detail guy or work will make or break the business with the job he does or leaves behind but time savings will come with the mower you buy. If you want faster do what every LCO does, buy quality mowers and up grade about every two or three years.

Wow Ric. You really aren't helping. You are clearly taking me for some random 17 year old that has just started and clearly doesn't know what he is doing. I have been obsessing about how I can be more efficient. Right now we are so efficient that the only way to get things done faster is a bigger mower.

When you say something like "having an extra piece of equipment that is only going to sit on the trailer isn't going to be making you more money" or "buying another blower or trimmer won't make you any faster." isn't that kind of obvious? When I said buy another trimmer. I meant if I have a property with lots of edging and trimming that by the time the other guy gets done mowing I will have only finished edging and have barely begun trimming. He could grab the other trimmer and help out. Then as we get close to finishing one person could go grab the blower while the other finishes trimming. Right now I don't have a tight route or a lot of properties. That being said I can't just leave one guy to finish up a property and head to mow another. Because I would have to come back and pick him up and drive him to the next one that was finished and the cycle continues. It would be better to have the guy mowing help trim or start blowing off the property. Compared to sitting in the truck waiting or driving around only to come back and pick up the detail guy. The detail guy could be either trimming, edging or whatever while the mowing guy helps out.

When you say it's hard to become a big company I have a few counter arguments. One is I would offer more than mowing. I would do mowing, fertilization and weed control, landscape maintence and landscaping. This would allow me to generate more gross revenue than if we only mowed. It would take a long time to become large enough to offer all that but i think it would be worth it.
Secondly when you say big companies are becoming obsolete I disagree. The largest lawn care company (BrightView) which im not even sure what they do. BrightView is the result of a merger between Brickman and somebody else. They were the top lawn care companies. Last year BrightView's gross revenue was two BILLION dollars. Trugreen which is right here in my area and everywhere else it seems like. Trugreen only does Treatments and Aration as far as I can tell. They had about 960 Million dollars in gross revenue. And they only treat lawns.

My fear is not that big companies will become obsolete but that they will get too big. Sort of a Walmart of lawn care. There's TruGreen everywhere. GroundsGuys is a huge mowing company. I think they make it harder for the small cheap companies. Because why wouldn't you want to go with a reputable company even if it is a bit more? You know you are getting a professional company not just some random guy you have never heard of. That's why I try to make my company look as professional as can be we have a website I won't go into everything. But people who don't know im 17 who have hired me don't know I'm a small company just run by some kid. And other people who know our company and me but not well have no idea that I hardly have any business. Once they see me mow for the first time with just push mowers they probably know but by that time I've got the job. And I am one of the most expensive companies in my area not the most im sure but I'm not cheap. I'm priced competitively but high. And I land almost every job that I am called about. I can't say for sure how expensive I am compared to the other companies in my area because im not totally sure how much they charge but I know I'm up there because I lost 1 job to one bigger company because they were cheaper.

C

Conn0r33

All I want to know is Stand On or Wak Behind? 36, 48, or 52 inches? I have one property that pays really well and about 75% of the property is on steep hills. It's another commercial property.
Also like I stated at the begining i don't want to have to turn down business. So hills would be a factor and I would kind of have to hate to turn down a job because so much of it is on a hill steep enough that I could only push mow. Or loose the job because I would have to price so high to get the same profit as I would if it were flat and I could use a stand on.

Ric

Ric

All I want to know is Stand On or Wak Behind? 36, 48, or 52 inches? I have one property that pays really well and about 75% of the property is on steep hills. It's another commercial property.
Also like I stated at the begining i don't want to have to turn down business. So hills would be a factor and I would kind of have to hate to turn down a job because so much of it is on a hill steep enough that I could only push mow. Or loose the job because I would have to price so high to get the same profit as I would if it were flat and I could use a stand on.

Yeah your right, I'm clearly taking you for a random 17 year old that has just started and clearly doesn't know what he is doing. That is what I see. Let me ask a couple of questions before we go any further with this and those questions would be How many clients do you have, how long is your route and what's your equipment list at the present time?

C

Conn0r33

Yeah your right, I'm clearly taking you for a random 17 year old that has just started and clearly doesn't know what he is doing. That is what I see. Let me ask a couple of questions before we go any further with this and those questions would be How many clients do you have, how long is your route and what's your equipment list at the present time?

Do you want just clients I mow every week or should I also include people who hire me to mow only when they are on vacation? I do not know how long my route is.
Equipment: 2 Toro SR4 push mowers, Stihl BR 200, Stihl FS 45 and a Stihl edger which I'm not sure the exact name right off the top of my head. By the end of the year I will have $23,000 that I could use to reinvest in the business. Obviously not all of it but I could use some for marketing or better equipment etc.

Ric

Ric

Do you want just clients I mow every week or should I also include people who hire me to mow only when they are on vacation? I do not know how long my route is.
Equipment: 2 Toro SR4 push mowers, Stihl BR 200, Stihl FS 45 and a Stihl edger which I'm not sure the exact name right off the top of my head. By the end of the year I will have $23,000 that I could use to reinvest in the business. Obviously not all of it but I could use some for marketing or better equipment etc.

Just clients you mow every week.

C

Conn0r33

Just clients you mow every week.

Well I currently mow twelve lawns a week. I'm not sure the exact number of clients because some clients have more than one property to maintain.

Ric

Ric

Well I currently mow twelve lawns a week. I'm not sure the exact number of clients because some clients have more than one property to maintain.

To answer your question about the photo and why I have so many trimmers and blowers etc, as I said before, buying or adding another trimmer or edger or blower to a business isn't going to necessarily make you or him any faster, it has nothing to do with our speed per lawn. The only thing you accomplish is having back up equipment, which IMO is a necessity. It's called being prepared to do any job the client needs to have done. I carry sixteen pieces of equipment on my trailer everyday when I leave the house.

As far as the mower goes, with you having only 12 lawns or clients to do in a week I'd stay with what I have and maybe take a look at getting better equipment like Blowers and trimmers and such because 12 lawns doesn't justify spending 8K on a stander or 2 walk behinds. IMO you need to stay away from the commercial end and stick with the smaller residential stuff and build your client base to maybe 25 or 30 then start looking at the Stander or walk behind. As far as mowing hills the Grandstand is rated at or for up to 20 degree slopes, a lot better than the 15 of the ZTR.

C

Conn0r33

To answer your question about the photo and why I have so many trimmers and blowers etc, as I said before, buying or adding another trimmer or edger or blower to a business isn't going to necessarily make you or him any faster, it has nothing to do with our speed per lawn. The only thing you accomplish is having back up equipment, which IMO is a necessity. It's called being prepared to do any job the client needs to have done. I carry sixteen pieces of equipment on my trailer everyday when I leave the house.

As far as the mower goes, with you having only 12 lawns or clients to do in a week I'd stay with what I have and maybe take a look at getting better equipment like Blowers and trimmers and such because 12 lawns doesn't justify spending 8K on a stander or 2 walk behinds. IMO you need to stay away from the commercial end and stick with the smaller residential stuff and build your client base to maybe 25 or 30 then start looking at the Stander or walk behind. As far as mowing hills the Grandstand is rated at or for up to 20 degree slopes, a lot better than the 15 of the ZTR.

Here is my plan. I am planning on Internet markering, door hangers and EDDM postcards. I will be getting a license next year to start fertilizing yards. I am hoping to reach 25 clients or yards next year. I can barely handle how much I am mowing currently we usually mow 15 a week because something comes up and I get hired to mow a lawn for a week. My goal is to reach 25 yards to mow next year. Which is not a crazy goal because last year we used to mow 5 lawns this year we mow 12-15. The reason I am asking about mowers is because I am wanting to be prepared if I hit 25 yards next year I doubt I can push mow all all that. So I want to have a mower picked out for next year that I would only buy if I hit 25 yards

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Here is my plan. I am planning on Internet markering, door hangers and EDDM postcards. I will be getting a license next year to start fertilizing yards. I am hoping to reach 25 clients or yards next year. I can barely handle how much I am mowing currently we usually mow 15 a week because something comes up and I get hired to mow a lawn for a week. My goal is to reach 25 yards to mow next year. Which is not a crazy goal because last year we used to mow 5 lawns this year we mow 12-15. The reason I am asking about mowers is because I am wanting to be prepared if I hit 25 yards next year I doubt I can push mow all all that. So I want to have a mower picked out for next year that I would only buy if I hit 25 yards

I mow 25-30 lawns a week with a push mower, and I am done work for the day between noon and 3:00 at the latest. I don't know the exact size of the lawns you do, but what MY plan is, is to get to my max lawns I can fit in my schedule before I make any big equipment changes, so I can have the most money to spend. I want to know how much I am willing to spend to buy bigger equipment to grow my business, but not something that costs too much so it will take too long to make my money back.

C

Conn0r33

I mow 25-30 lawns a week with a push mower, and I am done work for the day between noon and 3:00 at the latest. I don't know the exact size of the lawns you do, but what MY plan is, is to get to my max lawns I can fit in my schedule before I make any big equipment changes, so I can have the most money to spend. I want to know how much I am willing to spend to buy bigger equipment to grow my business, but not something that costs too much so it will take too long to make my money back.

Well I'm going to make about 9,000 just on lawn care this year but I will also do snow removal. So that will be more money. I know you can finish soon but you have to rember that im still in school so I don't have all the time in the world to be out mowing lawns.

Ric

Ric

Well I'm going to make about 9,000 just on lawn care this year but I will also do snow removal. So that will be more money. I know you can finish soon but you have to remember that im still in school so I don't have all the time in the world to be out mowing lawns.

How much you charging a lawn?

C

Conn0r33

How much you charging a lawn?
Well I added up all the prices and got an average of $35. I have a lot of lawns priced really low at $20 for friends. But then we have some that pay $40-60+ but the average is $35

C

Conn0r33

I know this is an old thread but I thought i would give you guys an update. In all these posts I set my sites too high on mowers that are too expensive and would most likely cause me to take home less money. I decided to go with the Toro Turfmaster the commercial 30" push mower. I have two cause my brother works with me. I wanted and still do either the Scag SWZT, Snapper Pro walk behind, or the Scag V-Ride. After considering my finincial situation the fact that I am not making too much money I needed to go with something less expensive. After only owning Home Owner Toro push mowers mainly the Toro SR4 it is amazing to me how great the cut is from the turfmaster and how well it mulches. It probably mulches the grass into pieces 4x times smaller at least. I will post some pictures when I get the chance.
I also wanted to thank all of you guys for all your help I have learned so much thanks to you I feel like I have enough knowledge to buy a bigger commercial mower when the time comes.

M

My_guy99

Good info!

Ric

Ric

I know this is an old thread but I thought i would give you guys an update. In all these posts I set my sites too high on mowers that are too expensive and would most likely cause me to take home less money. I decided to go with the Toro Turfmaster the commercial 30" push mower. I have two cause my brother works with me. I wanted and still do either the Scag SWZT, Snapper Pro walk behind, or the Scag V-Ride. After considering my financial situation the fact that I am not making too much money I needed to go with something less expensive. After only owning Home Owner Toro push mowers mainly the Toro SR4 it is amazing to me how great the cut is from the turfmaster and how well it mulches. It probably mulches the grass into pieces 4x times smaller at least. I will post some pictures when I get the chance.
I also wanted to thank all of you guys for all your help I have learned so much thanks to you I feel like I have enough knowledge to buy a bigger commercial mower when the time comes.

I can't see how setting your sites to high on mowers that are too expensive would most likely cause you to take home less money. You already seen the difference in productivity between the Toro SR4 and the Turf-Master and the gains you've made with the Turf-Master mowers and with a good Stander or ZTR you can triple that productivity and the money your making now.

C

Conn0r33

I can't see how setting your sites to high on mowers that are too expensive would most likely cause you to take home less money. You already seen the difference in productivity between the Toro SR4 and the Turf-Master and the gains you've made with the Turf-Master mowers and with a good Stander or ZTR you can triple that productivity and the money your making now.
Ric, I can't spend $8,000 on a mower right now. I would love to own a scag v-ride or a big commercial walk behind, but if I bought one I wouldn't be making much money. Right now where I currently am in my business it does not matter too much if I make $20 an hour and work four hours or if I make $80 an hour and work one hour either way I'm making $80. Sure, I would like to work less but I can show you how I can't afford one right now. If I bought a scag v-ride for $8,000 I would need a trailer +1,200 and a storage unit + $600/year I would still need a push mower small areas + $1,200 not to mention all the other expenses. With having to split the money with my brother we would probably make $1,800 each. Not a very rewarding year. Sure you can finance the mowers but I don't know how much longer I will be in this business.

C

Conn0r33

You always speak as if raising my productivity will raise the money I am making per year. If I charge $30 an hour and I work 10 hours a week (not my actual rate) and I raise my productivity by 50% so I am now making $60 an hour I will be working 5 hours a week not 10. You always say I will triple my productivity and the money I am making when I really am not. $30/hour at 10 hours/week = $300 or $60/hour at 5 hours/week = $300 - the $8,000 expense of the new mower.

Carscw

Carscw

You always speak as if raising my productivity will raise the money I am making per year. If I charge $30 an hour and I work 10 hours a week (not my actual rate) and I raise my productivity by 50% so I am now making $60 an hour I will be working 5 hours a week not 10. You always say I will triple my productivity and the money I am making when I really am not. $30/hour at 10 hours/week = $300 or $60/hour at 5 hours/week = $300 - the $8,000 expense of the new mower.

I agree. Why spend $8000 on a mower when a $3000 mower will do the same job.
Ric is all about how fast he can cut a yard.
He feels the only way to make money is to always owe money on big mowers you do not need.
I will guess my operating cost are around half as his. And I cut more then twice the yards he cuts. And charge twice as much per yard.

Man just get what you can afford and what works for you. It's about making money.

Ric

Ric

You raise your productivity rate by adding to the number of clients you do daily. Instead of doing 10 clients in ten hrs you can do 20, maybe more in ten hrs with a ZTR. Not by cutting your hours.
If your doing five lawns with your Turf-master a day you should be able to do ten lawns in half that time period or less with a ztr, which will allow you to add to the number of cuts or clients you do a day. Thus the mower pays for itself and you end up putting more money in your pocket at the end of the day, and not only that but you physically don't work half as hard riding a mower than you will pushing that Turf-Master.

You talk about your plan to have or be able to do 25 lawns a week?? I can and do that in an 8 hr day with a 48" Toro ZM ztr. Personally I was only working 3 to 4 hrs a day and doing 12 to 15 lawns in half day or less. The thing is you can do 25 lawns a week with your Turf-Master, that's 5 lawns a day but your not making any money especially when your splitting it with your brother.

Ric

Ric

Ric, I can't spend $8,000 on a mower right now. I would love to own a scag v-ride or a big commercial walk behind, but if I bought one I wouldn't be making much money. Right now where I currently am in my business it does not matter too much if I make $20 an hour and work four hours or if I make $80 an hour and work one hour either way I'm making $80. Sure, I would like to work less but I can show you how I can't afford one right now. If I bought a scag v-ride for $8,000 I would need a trailer +1,200 and a storage unit + $600/year I would still need a push mower small areas + $1,200 not to mention all the other expenses. With having to split the money with my brother we would probably make $1,800 each. Not a very rewarding year. Sure you can finance the mowers but I don't know how much longer I will be in this business.

Your figuring wages is total wrong to my thinking. The way you charge by the hour for lawn-care is way wrong to my thinking. Number one you can't charge buy the hour for lawn-care. The going rate for lawn-care is $1 per minute/$60 an hour minimum. That's what new businesses shoot to make when they start.
You need to set a price per cut for what you consider a normal size lawn and adjust that price depending on the size of the lawn and what the client wants done. When I went out I was making no less than $60 an hrs and most times $80 and up an hr and that was pretty cheap priced lawn-care. I also agree with you It's not a very rewarding year for you and you probably wont be in business long they way your doing things.

C

Conn0r33

You raise your productivity rate by adding to the number of clients you do daily. Instead of doing 10 clients in ten hrs you can do 20, maybe more in ten hrs with a ZTR. Not by cutting your hours.
If you're doing five lawns with your Turf-master a day you should be able to do ten lawns in half that time period or less with a ztr, which will allow you to add to the number of cuts or clients you do a day. Thus, the mower pays for itself and you end up putting more money in your pocket at the end of the day, and not only that but you physically don't work half as hard riding a mower than you will pushing that Turf-Master.

You talk about your plan to have or be able to do 25 lawns a week?? I can and do that in an 8 hr day with a 48" Toro ZM ztr. Personally, I was only working 3 to 4 hrs a day and doing 12 to 15 lawns in half day or less. The thing is you can do 25 lawns a week with your Turf-Master, that's 5 lawns a day but you're not making any money especially when you're splitting it with your brother.
That is how we think differently. Why buy a big mower and add more debt to get done what I can handle just fine right now? I would buy a big mower and try to get done even faster if I had people calling me for mowing all the time but I am not growing THAT fast. My thinking is if I somehow get tons of calls and line up tons of work that I couldn't handle with a Turfmaster THEN and ONLY THEN would I buy a bigger mower. It is not smart at all in my opinion to buy a big mower when I'm only doing 15-19 lawns a week. I will wait until I NEED a big mower. I would rather keep as much money for myself right now so I have money for college and life etc.
Last year when I was mowing with two Toro SR4 mowers my brother and I made almost $7,000 each. This year I will probably bring in $19,000 this year but with the bigger mowers and other expenses, I will make about the same amount of money probably around $6,000. If I didn't buy the Turfmasters I would make much closer to $9,500 than I do now. I made the upgrade because I got tired of residential stuff breaking all the time.
With your super nice truck and all the equipment you recommend buying it makes me think you are probably in a bit of debt. Something I would like to avoid.

C

Conn0r33

Your figuring wages is total wrong to my thinking. The way you charge by the hour for lawn-care is way wrong to my thinking. Number one you can't charge buy the hour for lawn-care. The going rate for lawn-care is $1 per minute/$60 an hour minimum. That's what new businesses shoot to make when they start.
You need to set a price per cut for what you consider a normal size lawn and adjust that price depending on the size of the lawn and what the client wants done. When I went out I was making no less than $60 an hrs and most times $80 and up an hr and that was pretty cheap priced lawn-care. I also agree with you It's not a very rewarding year for you and you probably wont be in business long they way your doing things.

I don't exactly charge by the hour. I do it like pretty much everyone in the lawn industry does. I provide a quote and its a fixed price but its BASED on an hourly rate. So if my hourly rate is $80/hour and I think the lawn will take me half an hour it would be a FIXED not an hourly price of $40. You can't tell me your rates aren't somehow based off of an hourly rate.
When you say $60/hour is that an hour or per man hour?
And by the way I will be in business for as long as I want. I'm making a good enough amount. But you are right I wouldn't be in business very long if I were doing things the way you say I should be doing them. I'm going to make plenty of money this year. If i bought a bigger mower like you recommend I wouldn't be in business long. Just curious because you are mister $80 an hour. How much would you charge for a lawn that is 7,250 sq. ft. that measurement is only grass no sidewalks or anything. I'm charging $40. How does that compare to your price?

C

Conn0r33

As stated in a previous post I am interested in hearing what you charge for a 7,000 sq. foot lawn.
Ric, honestly I would take your advice about getting bigger better mowers if I was going to hire someone to do the work. I would also agree with you if I was trying to build a big company and had a plan and everything and just wanted the equipment so I am ready for growth. But right now at this stage I am trying to get as much money out of the business as I can. What if I graduate college and decide that I don't want to do this anymore. Or maybe in two years I might quit or I might continue on for a long time. The problem is I don't know so I would prefer to just make money not spend it.

Ric

Ric

As stated in a previous post I am interested in hearing what you charge for a 7,000 sq. foot lawn.
Ric, honestly I would take your advice about getting bigger better mowers if I was going to hire someone to do the work. I would also agree with you if I was trying to build a big company and had a plan and everything and just wanted the equipment so I am ready for growth. But right now at this stage I am trying to get as much money out of the business as I can. What if I graduate college and decide that I don't want to do this anymore. Or maybe in two years I might quit or I might continue on for a long time. The problem is I don't know so I would prefer to just make money not spend it.

To tell you how much I would charge to mow a 7000sq ft lawn is hard to say because I don't charge by the sq. ft. There are to many variables involved in giving you a price, things like the location of the lot and where I'd have to work it into the schedule or on my route. It would also depend on who owns the lot, if there already a client a previous client or a new client?etc. etc.
What you can get in Nebraska or would charge should be what your area can stand, what I get here in my location could run a lot more or less than what you'll be getting, depends on what part of Florida your in.
The thing about spending the money on good commercial equipment is that you'll get a better resale than the mowers you buy from home depot or lowes. When I purchased the 36" GS I paid $6795 otd right now your looking at 9K otd for the same mower, so right now if I sold the thing for 5K I've got my money back, same with the ZTR. That's why I say buy the good stuff, it's a win win. Yeah I financed the ZTR, 48 month no interest but in 15 months of use it's paid for because it paid for itself and put money in my pocket besides. We can discuss the point from now until when ever, everybody has there own way just do what you want, I'm not arguing the point ant further.

Carscw

Carscw

This thread has just become a joke.

Z

zmister11

This thread has just become a joke.

Yes, but entertaining at least.

C

Conn0r33

Yes, but entertaining at least.
I agree with both lol.