Need Advice on New Mower for Business

Conn0r33

Threads
I have a few customers and I have currently been push mowing all my lawns with two 21 inch push mowers. It would be no big deal for me if it weren't for the commercial properties I have just added this year. The Lawn size on these properties is about 15,000 sq. ft. and it's is all split up around the parking lot. So it's not one big 15k sq ft patch of grass. I am looking at upgrading to a commercial mower just for the reliability. And the fact that I won't have to walk on two 15k sq. ft. properties any more.

The gross lot sizes for the rest of my residential customers is between 6,800-11,500 sq. ft. there is one anomaly though it is 14,500 sq. ft. but it doesn't take any longer because so much of the property is landscaped so even though that one seems bigger it really isn't :confused2:. The commercial property size I have given you of 15k sq ft is just the lawn size. But for the residential customers I have not measured their lawn size so I just got the gross lot size off of the internet I have not subtracted anything at all (house, driveway, sidewalks etc.) So my question is... what deck size would you recommend for these yard sizes?

I'm am currently looking at a few stand-on mowers and walk behinds. I know a company in my town that uses 52-inch ZTRs for yards of this size but it seems like overkill to me. Also some of the lawn's backyards are fenced in but I'm ok with just taking a push mower back there if a bigger mower wouldn't fit. I'm just looking for any suggestions. I was leaning towards 36 or 48 but then I thought about a 52 because it really isn't that much bigger than a 48. But I like the thought of how easy it would be for a 36 to get around stuff in the lawn and in tight spaces. But a 48 would get the more open lawns done much faster.
Thanks,
Connor

Last edited:

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a few customers and I have currently been push mowing all my lawns with two 21 inch push mowers. It would be no big deal for me if it weren't for the commercial properties I have just added this year. The Lawn size on these properties is about 15,000 sq. ft. and it's is all split up around the parking lot. So it's not one big 15k sq ft patch of grass. I am looking at upgrading to a commercial mower just for the reliability. And the fact that I won't have to walk on two 15k sq. ft. properties any more. The gross lot sizes for my the rest of my residential customers is between 6,800-11,500 sq. ft. there is one anomaly though it is 14,500 sq. ft. but it doesn't take any longer because so much of the property is landscaped so even though that one seems bigger it really isn't :confused2:. The commercial property size I have given you of 15k sq ft is just the lawn size. But for the residential customers I have not measured their lawn size so I just got the gross lot size off of the internet I have not subtracted anything at all (house, driveway, sidewalks etc.) So my question is...what deck size would you recommend for these yard sizes? I'm am currently looking at a few stand-on mowers and walk behinds. I know a company in my town that uses 52-inch ZTRs for yards of this size but it seems like overkill to me. Also some of the lawn's backyards are fenced in but I'm ok with just taking a push mower back there if a bigger mower wouldn't fit. I'm just looking for any suggestions. I was leaning towards 36 or 48 but then I thought about a 52 because it really isn't that much bigger than a 48. But I like the thought of how easy it would be for a 36 to get around stuff in the lawn and in tight spaces. But a 48 would get the more open lawns done much faster.
Thanks,
Connor

How many narrow gates will you encounter?
You will have to push mow anything that your new mower can not get to.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have a few customers and I have currently been push mowing all my lawns with two 21 inch push mowers. It would be no big deal for me if it weren't for the commercial properties I have just added this year. The Lawn size on these properties is about 15,000 sq. ft. and it's is all split up around the parking lot. So it's not one big 15k sq ft patch of grass. I am looking at upgrading to a commercial mower just for the reliability. And the fact that I won't have to walk on two 15k sq. ft. properties any more.

The gross lot sizes for my the rest of my residential customers is between 6,800-11,500 sq. ft. there is one anomaly though it is 14,500 sq. ft. but it doesn't take any longer because so much of the property is landscaped so even though that one seems bigger it really isn't :confused2:.

The commercial property size I have given you of 15k sq ft is just the lawn size. But for the residential customers I have not measured their lawn size so I just got the gross lot size off of the internet I have not subtracted anything at all (house, driveway, sidewalks etc.) So my question is...what deck size would you recommend for these yard sizes? I'm am currently looking at a few stand-on mowers and walk behinds.

I know a company in my town that uses 52-inch ZTRs for yards of this size but it seems like overkill to me. Also some of the lawn's backyards are fenced in but I'm ok with just taking a push mower back there if a bigger mower wouldn't fit. I'm just looking for any suggestions.

I was leaning towards 36 or 48 but then I thought about a 52 because it really isn't that much bigger than a 48. But I like the thought of how easy it would be for a 36 to get around stuff in the lawn and in tight spaces. But a 48 would get the more open lawns done much faster.
Thanks,
Connor

The reasons you stated are the reason I have the 36" Grandstand, gates and back yards and tight places. For your more open lawns as you say, the 48" is ideal. Both sizes will up your productivity rate. I often use the Grandstand in my smaller residential yards that have fences and gates and do the whole yard because it saves the time I'd use going back to the trailer and switching mowers. One of the 30" mowers like the Turf Master or Exmark 30" can have a 40% time savings over the 21".

Conn0r33

Threads
How many narrow gates will you encounter?
You will have to push mow anything that your new mower can not get to.

Well, I only have twelve lawns. Of the twelve only three have small gates. One of those gates is larger and a 36 could fit through for sure but I have not measured it so I don't know if I could fit a 48. Considering that I only have twelve lawns I'm always looking for more business so if they had a gate I would do it even if it was a large backyard and could not even fit a 36 through. And the same goes for large lawns I don't want to turn down potential business so I don't want such a tiny mower that I can't take on larger lawns if I was asked. Now obviously I'm not going to try to do 4 acre properties but I want to be able to do ones larger than what I currently do if I had the chance. I just don't want to limit myself so much that I have not turn down business.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well, I only have twelve lawns. Of the twelve only three have small gates. One of those gates is larger and a 36 could fit through for sure but I have not measured it so I don't know if I could fit a 48. Considering that I only have twelve lawns I'm always looking for more business so if they had a gate I would do it even if it was a large backyard and could not even fit a 36 through. And the same goes for large lawns I don't want to turn down potential business so I don't want such a tiny mower that I can't take on larger lawns if I was asked. Now obviously I'm not going to try to do 4 acre properties but I want to be able to do ones larger than what I currently do if I had the chance. I just don't want to limit myself so much that I have not turn down business.

I may be wrong but it sounds like your in a position where you only have the funds for one mower. If that's the case then the 36" stander would be my choice. It would allow you to do your larger properties and at the same time give you gate access to the back yards.

I understand your trying for more clients and you may think the 48" would give you the most production for your money as it should but you also have to consider the time gains you'll get with the 36" over the 21" your using now. The Yards your doing now with the 21" that take 30 or 40 minutes you'll be doing in half that time with the 36" which will up your productivity allowing you to add more clients and put more money in your pocket.

Conn0r33

Threads
I may be wrong but it sounds like your in a position where you only have the funds for one mower. If that's the case then the 36" stander would be my choice. It would allow you to do your larger properties and at the same time give you gate access to the back yards.

I understand your trying for more clients and you may think the 48" would give you the most production for your money as it should but you also have to consider the time gains you'll get with the 36" over the 21" your using now. The Yards your doing now with the 21" that take 30 or 40 minutes you'll be doing in half that time with the 36" which will up your productivity allowing you to add more clients and put more money in your pocket.

You would be correct. I could probably afford two walk behinds because they are a lot cheaper. If we are talking about stand-ons I can only afford one. I don't even have a trailer yet. Haha. :)

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
You would be correct. I could probably afford two walk behinds because they are a lot cheaper. If we are talking about stand-ons I can only afford one. I don't even have a trailer yet. Haha. :)

The thing you have to remember about business is how much you have to make money wise to stay in business as well as make a living. To make a decent living at Lawn-care your looking at a minimum of 1$ per minute or 60$ an hour and that's where the mower you buy and its rate of productivity comes in. Yeah you could afford two walk behinds but what good does that do you when one is on the trailer not being used or sitting in the garage not making you a dime. Why have an investment that's not making you any money. In time yes a backup mower like the rest of the equipment you buy would be nice to have but just starting a business unless you have a ton of money you probably can't afford.

Conn0r33

Threads
The thing you have to remember about business is how much you have to make money wise to stay in business as well as make a living. To make a decent living at Lawn-care your looking at a minimum of 1$ per minute or 60$ an hour and that's where the mower you buy and its rate of productivity comes in. Yeah you could afford two walk behinds but what good does that do you when one is on the trailer not being used or sitting in the garage not making you a dime. Why have an investment that's not making you any money. In time yes a backup mower like the rest of the equipment you buy would be nice to have but just starting a business unless you have a ton of money you probably can't afford.

Sorry I forgot to clarify. I'm 17 so not really needing an income allows me to reinvest most of my money. Also my younger brother works with me so he could use the other walk behind.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sorry I forgot to clarify. I'm 17 so not really needing an income allows me to reinvest most of my money. Also my younger brother works with me so he could use the other walk behind.

Nothing last forever and things have a way of changing. If you're intending to have this thing or business long term you'll need ever dime you can lay your hands on and invest wisely.

With Youth You Learn, With Age You Understand

Conn0r33

Threads
Nothing last forever and things have a way of changing. If you're intending to have this thing or business long term you'll need ever dime you can lay your hands on and invest wisely.

With Youth You Learn, With Age You Understand

I'm planning on long term. I don't need business advice I am just not sure if I should use one 36 or 48 inch stand on or run two walk behinds. Right now I'm using two 21 inch push mowers because my brother mows with me. So that's 42 inches at work during that time im afraid if I just get one stand on 36 inches even though it is faster im just not sure if lets say im the one trimming and edging i don't want to have to wait on him if I can edge and trim faster than he can mow the lawn.

I'm just looking at it as if I ever got to the point of being able to hire guys to mow I wouldn't want to be paying one to stand around waiting for the other to finish up.

The reason I reinvest me money is because I would like to grow my business as big as I can so that I don't have to mow. I would like a large enough company that I could hire people to mow so that I could focus on growing the business