My six month review of new Honda

RetireeRon

Threads
Back in January I bought a new Honda mower from a dealer here in Florida. Paid over $700.00 for it, though the exact number escapes me at the moment. Now that I've had the opportunity to use it 7 or 8 times(major drought here this spring) I'd like to share my thoughts on this mower. First, the good stuff.
- the mower started on the first pull out of the box, and has continued the same ever since.
- the manual is easy to understand and gives clear instructions
- the cut is first class. Very level and looks like a pro job. The dual blade system is a knockout!
- very quiet mower for 190cc. So much quieter than either of my neighbors who use a Toro and I don't know what.
- this is my first variable speed mower, which for me is the no. 1 feature of this mower.
- I absolutely love the ability to keep the mower running with the blade stopped. No more starting and stopping the engine!
- having the ability to adjust the clippings, mulcher, bagger is awesome. Still dialing it in, but shows a lot of promise.

Now for the "opportunities for improvement".
- I bought my mower from a dealer in January, brand new in an unopened box, and when I registered it found that it was a 2014 model! Not sure how this could happen, but rather than take it back kept it since it was still a new mower. I would think Honda's inventory system needs looked at(FIFO). The dealer told me he received it from Honda in December of 2016 and I bought it in January 2017. Just an odd thing, to me.
- something about the handling of this mower has never seemed quite right out of the box. For example, its always seemed hard to guide unless you used a lot of force. Sort of like having to push harder on one side of the handle,if that makes sense. I noticed today that one of the rear wheels doesn't turn when the transmission is engaged,that will affect the handling for sure, so I'll be making a trip for warranty work next week.
- finally,the rear wheels don't grip as well as I'd like. The one drive wheel that works will sometimes just spin on the grass and I have to give it a good push to nudge it along. That's hard on a bad back!

So,this is my six month review. Would I buy it again? In a heartbeat! I'm sure that after I get a few things above worked out I'll love it even more.

Lawn Addict
Threads
2014 model is leftover stock, should be worth a discount, or store credit for supplies like: oil / filter / blades etc. Any changes in the newer ones ?

Sounds like you are happy with it. Cool.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
No such thing as a "2014" model or any other Honda mower 'model year' as Honda does not use model years to denote differences and running changes.

Instead, Honda uses a version code called a K-number, which increments as changes are made. For example, the most-current version of the HRX is at version K5, which you can see on the serial number plate. K5 models have been in production a short while, so it is totally possible you might find a K4 or even a K3 version for sale. The changes are very minor in this case, mostly cosmetice and appearance. The K4 model gets a slightly different carburetor vs. the K3, for example.

Other Honda mowers (HRR series) for example, are at version K9, and have been for the past few years. A K10 version isn't expected until next year.

In another example, Honda's small 'suitcase' EU2000i portable generator has been at version K1 for the past 9 years, with no changes at all.

RetireeRon

Threads
No such thing as a "2014" model or any other Honda mower 'model year' as Honda does not use model years to denote differences and running changes.

Instead, Honda uses a version code called a K-number, which increments as changes are made. For example, the most-current version of the HRX is at version K5, which you can see on the serial number plate. K5 models have been in production a short while, so it is totally possible you might find a K4 or even a K3 version for sale. The changes are very minor in this case, mostly cosmetice and appearance. The K4 model gets a slightly different carburetor vs. the K3, for example.

Other Honda mowers (HRR series) for example, are at version K9, and have been for the past few years. A K10 version isn't expected until next year.

In another example, Honda's small 'suitcase' EU2000i portable generator has been at version K1 for the past 9 years, with no changes at all.

Be that as it may, the dealer told me it was a 2014 model. I have no reason to doubt his word, nor do I have anything else to go on. I certainly didn't make that up. I merely repeated what the Honda dealer told me.

RetireeRon

Threads
So today I made the trip to the dealer to see if they could figure out why only one rear wheel was driving the mower. I watched the dealer remove the rear wheel and what do you know, the woodruff key that keeps the small gear from spinning on the shaft was laying in the wheel housing along with the clip that goes on the end of the shaft. Mr. dealer said he had never seen that before. Maybe now my new mower will stop trying to go in circles all the time?

Lawn Addict
Threads

Very interesting Robert. The FG100 mini-tiller you advised me on has a year of 2000, on a decal with the serial numbers etc.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Be that as it may, the dealer told me it was a 2014 model. I have no reason to doubt his word, nor do I have anything else to go on. I certainly didn't make that up. I merely repeated what the Honda dealer told me.

This happens all the time; most dealers carry more than one brand, and some (non-Honda) brands do indeed have 'model years' so it is easy for a dealer to believe Honda does too. Sometimes they say this to the customer, as most understand the idea of 'model years' and it can make it easier to close a sale.

The bottom line is when shopping for a new mower, you want to be sure the mower you are looking at is indeed the most current and up-to-date. So, first check Honda's website and see what K-number is listed for a model. For example, all HRR-series mower are at version K5, so then see what's actually on the data plate sticker on the mower. Some dealers may have carry over stock from last season, and have a few K4 models to sell.