my new projects (sorry little late in posting) little help on a few bits ?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / my new projects (sorry little late in posting) little help on a few bits ?
Hi got the engine number at last I think this might tell us more about the mower and found m4 major on another part of the handle engine number in pic it was printed on th air filter witch is why I took so long finding it

View attachment 28173

This is a Briggs & Stratton from 1988 which would make the mower 88 or 89 if it is the original engine

You will find th owners manuals & parts diagrams here
briggsandstratton.com/au/en/support/manuals/results?NTT=100708-0111*
Yours is obviously the -03 variant.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If any one has any thoughts thanks in advance

I need to remove one screw from the plastic it's just spinning and u need to remove it to make a justment

And the pull cord mech does not always seam to work right I ssume when you pull it throws out the teeth to spin the motor it will work most times and you can get it to work if it just pulls by a little waggle of the pull cord so I think it might need removing and copper grease to make the mech run smother ?

Below is pics of the 2 bits I need help with

Thanks again angel
View attachment 28174
View attachment 28175

The screw holding the throttle cable in place is wrong , looks like a wood screw.
Pull the cable out with one hand while turning the screw with the other or put a small pry bar under the cable clamp and lever while you turn.
You will need to put a plug in the hole and funny as it may sound a plastic wall plug ( Star plug ) with a bit of glue works well.
Get some original screws , they come in packs of 10 and if you are going to contnue with these you will need them.

OTOH grab every dead mower you see laying around and strip all of the nuts & bolts off them.

As for the side pull they are a right royal PIA to work on.
Do not try and dissasemble it on the mower.
It comes off as a unit then gets dissasembled.
If you don't have the B & S service manual then search the forum for just that there have been several posts advising members where they can source older Briggs manuals.
Good news is just about all of the bits are still available.

angellonewolf

Threads
any one have or know of a service manual for the pull start at all please ?

ive got the mower started now cleaned the carb and tank changed the fuel line (think this was the problem why it was shelved as the pipes where badly cracked ) and new oil the old stuff was naff and removed the blade with the help of my newly found air tool and sharpend the blade and torx it up to 50 and used copper slip on it to help in removel next time

and managed to remove the screw by prying it out and holding the bit in the vice and glued it back in waited a day and screwed it back in bleave it or not it was the right screw or at least the thread looks right

need to look at the springs as runs great on high speed but change to low does not run right it runs but surges i belive this is down to the spring as the white flap piece does not seam under tension when on low setting but the standard ajustment is set right any idea on this there is an ajustment screw i think on the carb but may be wrong on this

the

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Near the top right hand corner of this forum web page ( if you ar browsing ) is a little box with the word "Search" next to it.
Type " briggs service manual download" in there and you will get all the threads on where to find free manuals.
By now you should have the search for parts books and owners manuals on the Briggs site down pat.
If you end up selling the mower you might like to consider printing out an owners manual.
Second hand mowers with "service manuals . owners manuals and parts books sell much better than without and it only costs you about 5 bob to print the dozen or so pages.
The screw was not a Briggs screw.
Briggs screws all have the same style head with a raisd perimeter and a small flange.
Fitting the correct screws make the mower look properly "cared " for.
A round head wood scred screams "cheapskate bodge" from 100 yards.