my new projects (sorry little late in posting) little help on a few bits ?

angellonewolf

Threads
  • / my new projects (sorry little late in posting) little help on a few bits ?
hi just fell in luck went round a mates to get 2 tyres fitted and the said he was clearing out his garden of the metal bits said he had been keeping it to long and the scrap value hit rock bottem and not worth him driving around to get rid or do any thing with them

i got one small petrol generator 4 stroke
and 2 petrol lawn mowers both i think very old 1970s ? and 80s poss im sure there is some one out there better know what they are

generatoer pull cord not working properly sorted ok fuel in it very old and smells tank washed out cleaned the carb (carb cleaner and air tool clean) cleaned air filter and oiled starts quick runs but some times cuts out power is produced great when running running a halagen light

the old blue one not had much off a look but no spark and took me 10 mins to find how to start it with as its got no pull cord and you just twist the top and push a lever to turn the engine over

the red one has spark but little oil and again petrol smells so that will need a clean and oil before any testing can be done (not got any farther on the two mower as the gen is more helpfull to me so started on that first

and they have not cost me anything but will split any thing i get if i can get any of them running proper less parts oil and such with my mate so hope theres a few beers there with luck already put in and hour and a half on the gen to get where i am now

so any help on why the gen starts and runs but then stop

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Angel, you have been around this forum long enough to know that unless you provide us with more info than color of unit we can't help you much. Second, don't lump three units in one thread, this will lead to confusing and inappropriate replies. if you want help give use specific information and ask specific questions. How would you reply to this post? I have a Siat and two Vespa I want together running, what do I do?

angellonewolf

Threads
Yes it could be confusing so will start with the generater
2016-03-21 15.28.00.jpg

Hope this gives enught info

Thanks for reply hope you can shead some light on it

And just so you can see the two other mowers as I forgot to the pics on

2016-03-17 21.12.00.jpg
2016-03-17 21.11.35.jpg

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
With the information you provide I will not be able to help you. I hope someone else's ESP is better than mine.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Same with me.
We need some thing we can research or remember so this means engine numbers.
The blue mower with the impulse starter is not going to be a sellable item unless it has some historic value.
The red mower with the replacement Quantum engine has foot in both camps , vintage & collector on one hand and cheap mower on the other if the quamtum can be made to run reliabily.

You might like to post on vintagemowers.net to at least get them identified as they look rather like UK mowers and most on this forum are in the USA.
This might be a useful resource as well outdoorking.com

angellonewolf

Threads
sorry for the late reply had a problem with family in hospital so not had a chance to get back to post again

update on the generator it just needed running for a bit all up and working had a light on it for near an hour runs great now

am going to have a look at the other mowers later in the week

you thinking the blue one is not worth fixing for normal use ? i would think if some one wanted a mower for ruff ground or a common ground padock might it not do ?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Go on evilbay and search lawn mowers.
In the left hand colum click on "completed listings".
In the window that comes up, all of the prices shown green got sold.
all of the others did not sell. see what the public bought and what they did not want.

MatthewD

Threads
Hello!
I think I can help you with the lawnmowers. The one with the Quantum is a Mountfield, probably from the 1980's. The other one I find quite interesting;

It could be a Hayter Hayterette painted blue. The engine with the Wind-up starter is an interesting feature as well. This one is most likely 1960's and will have points and a condenser. You will have to remove the flywheel and clean the points, or you could get a similar coil from a newer 3.5hp Briggs (1980s onwards) and snip the wires coming from below the flywheel. I have done this before and it worked OK. If you want to check the date of the engine, look on the right hand side of the shroud, there will be 3 'sets' of numbers. The last one is the date it was made. If that was my mower, I would get it running and paint it up to keep for myself, those Wind-up starters are becoming rare.

Maybe it's just me, but if I got those mowers for free, I'd feel pretty lucky, I paid 40 quid for a running 3.5hp 85 Briggs and Stratton last week. Good luck!

angellonewolf

Threads
Hi got the engine number at last I think this might tell us more about the mower and found m4 major on another part of the handle engine number in pic it was printed on th air filter witch is why I took so long finding it

2016-04-01 09.20.23.jpg

angellonewolf

Threads
If any one has any thoughts thanks in advance

I need to remove one screw from the plastic it's just spinning and u need to remove it to make a justment

And the pull cord mech does not always seam to work right I ssume when you pull it throws out the teeth to spin the motor it will work most times and you can get it to work if it just pulls by a little waggle of the pull cord so I think it might need removing and copper grease to make the mech run smother ?

Below is pics of the 2 bits I need help with

Thanks again angel
2016-04-01 09.32.06.jpg
2016-04-01 09.32.28.jpg