My new Craftsman

rer

Threads
Well my new tractor wasn't a John Deere or a Cub Cadet. It turns out its craftsman, I believe it is a craftsman suburban from the late 60's. I am still not sure about the motor but its looking like a Kohler.
here are some pictures.

Attachments

• plow 001.jpg
    plow 001.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 25
  • plow 008.jpg
    plow 008.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 11
  • plow 009.jpg
    plow 009.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 10
  • plow 011.jpg
    plow 011.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 11
  • plow 007.jpg
    plow 007.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 14
  • plow 015.jpg
    plow 015.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 29

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Nope, it's a Tecumseh.

My neighbor has one very simmilar, 1967....It's pretty much the same thing......I think it's supposed to be either blue and white or kinda Cat yellow and white. They came both ways. The electric start versions had a generator/starter that ran via belt to the flywheel (the elc starts had a pulley there), with rope backup optional. It's not a Craftsman...Suburbans were never Craftsmans. They were Sears Suburbans, and they were a HECK of a tractor....they rivaled the likes of JD and Wheel Horse.

That unpainted area on the "driver's" side? That's where the start/gen went. Then a cover went over that. Power to it? It's an electric motor. Power it with the engine? It's a generator......

rer

Threads
Thanks for the information. It is case yellow under the green. How many hp do you think? B/c the guy i bought it from said 12 hp and he also said it was a kohler.
It did a GREAT job of plowing some rows through some rocky terrain:biggrin:

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for the information. It is case yellow under the green. How many hp do you think? B/c the guy i bought it from said 12 hp and he also said it was a kohler.
It did a GREAT job of plowing some rows through some rocky terrain:biggrin:

It's likely an 8HP, since it's not electric start. Those things ROCK!....errr.....pun not intended - this time. :biggrin:

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just because it's 8hp, don't discount it....remember, a lot of JD's, Wheel Horses, and Cub Cadets were 8hp in that vintage, too. That is one Tek I wouldn't count as junk. It's in the gearing. You have the Hi/Low and diff lock?

rer

Threads
hi and low. no diff lock. but it could pull a bus in low. the high gear is scary fast.

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
hi and low. no diff lock. but it could pull a bus in low. the high gear is scary fast.

Well, I can tell you this; that tractor is worth whatever work you wanna put into it. You done good. :wink:

BTW, I wholeheartedly agree with your sig.......:laughing:

mystreba

Threads
Also, 1967 appears to be when Sears switched to the curved fender. Are we sure this isn't a Sears Custom?

Customs

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
mystreba said:
Also, 1967 appears to be when Sears switched to the curved fender. Are we sure this isn't a Sears Custom?

Customs

That looks identical to the suburban dash. I'm still thinking suburban. The clutch pedal has the suburban design too.