Murray Mowers

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well OT, I do only have 30 YEARS experience with lawn, commercial, industrial & rental equipment (Mower, Saws, Trimmers, Blowers, Generators, Pumps, Log Splitters, Chipper Shredder, Tractors, Dozers, Esquivators, Pressure Washers, Concrete Trowles, ECT) I hold a Master Tech. Certification in about 14 different "Engine "manufactors. I was the Shop Manager for the largest Rental Epuipment Co. in the southeastern United States. I could have you completely disassemble your mower, put it in boxes and send it to me, & I could rebuild it Blindfolded!
I do know Murrays' and ANY other kind of equipment (USA or Japanese Built)...A Murray is a Cheap piece of CRAP, with or without you owning one!

"REBUILD" it blindfolded? NO WAY !!! REASSEMBLE, maybe. REBUILD BLINDFOLDED, sorry, I don't buy anybody having THAT kind of ability.

Rebuild means to replace piston rings, do a valve job, etc. Such tasks require using tools and gauges to measure tight tolerances. Impossible for ANYONE to use such measuring tools without seeing them.

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ummm, last year I purchased a "Brute" brand self propelled walk behind mower at Menards, that chain also sells them as well as Wally World does. After a very minimal amount of use (2 hours at most) I wanted to change the oil, and I found the majority of the nuts attached to the bolts of the parts holding the deck and frame together were either loose or missing. I reported on the situation here. Lock washers and/or locknuts would have prevented the problem, but I guess that is too much of an expense for Murray, OOPS, Brute to handle. I just hope the situation with the hardware doesn't reflect on the rest of the mower.

Actually very few manufacturers use nylocks, or even lock washers....they all use those cheap serrated nuts......and they only grip the paint! I know what you mean about cheapness....but it's that way everywhere, with too many companies. :frown:

LandN

Threads
Ummm, last year I purchased a "Brute" brand self propelled walk behind mower at Menards, that chain also sells them as well as Wally World does. After a very minimal amount of use (2 hours at most) I wanted to change the oil, and I found the majority of the nuts attached to the bolts of the parts holding the deck and frame together were either loose or missing. I reported on the situation here. Lock washers and/or locknuts would have prevented the problem, but I guess that is too much of an expense for Murray, OOPS, Brute to handle. I just hope the situation with the hardware doesn't reflect on the rest of the mower.

HEY JD,:smile: i wonder how much of your brute mowers nuts and bolt issues were due to the assemblers at the dept. store where you purchased it . i bought my grill earlier this year from a dept. store and got it home and found a number of bolts not even there:confused2: let alone not even being tightened down.i've also seen bicycles purchased from major dept.stores where the store personel assembles it,and not even doing it the right way. last year i was at a major brand store looking at a mower and saw that it was not assembled correctly and told the salesman about it , and went back a week later and the mower still was not in proper form.(shifter handle was on wrong). :confused2: i guess you have to check and double check everything.

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
HEY JD,:smile: i wonder how much of your brute mowers nuts and bolt issues were due to the assemblers at the dept. store where you purchased it . i bought my grill earlier this year from a dept. store and got it home and found a number of bolts not even there:confused2: let alone not even being tightened down.i've also seen bicycles purchased from major dept.stores where the store personel assembles it,and not even doing it the right way. last year i was at a major brand store looking at a mower and saw that it was not assembled correctly and told the salesman about it , and went back a week later and the mower still was not in proper form.(shifter handle was on wrong). :confused2: i guess you have to check and double check everything.

Hey, you're right......push mowers ship unassembled in a box!!! :eek:

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
You got that rite mower was purchased assembled in a carton. Unpack, raise handle, etc. Sent from mobile.

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
You got that rite mower was purchased assembled in a carton. Unpack, raise handle, etc. Sent from mobile.

The only mower I ever bought new, a yard machines 20" 3.5 HP push mower from walmart. on sale for $99 about 5 years ago. I had to put the handle on, bolt on the wheels, fill the oil, etc........

ihc_444

Threads
In my humble opinion, the crap some are referring to with Murray mowers was added to them when Murray decided to send partially assembled units to Wal-mart, Home Depot, Lowes etc where bored teenagers were suppose to complete the assembly. I have two a hydro drive and a 5 speed, both bought well before 2000. The hydro was great from day one, the 5 speed had the deck idler pulley fall off when backing out of the garage for the first time, and the deck belt would not tighten correctly. Unfortunately for me I bought the mower off season and it sat in the garage over the winter expiring the warranty. After an afternoon disassembling and reassembling the deck mounts everything works as it should and has since 1999.

hoehappa

Threads
I hate that that my first post is negative but I can't see even considering a murray mower. I like something semi professional like a husqvarna yth23v42ls that has a real deck and professional engine! budgets vary i know and theres probably some male ego involved but I believe in buying good quality equipment and tools to get the job done safely and quickly.:smile:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
ihc_444;20283 I bought the mower off season and it sat in the garage over the winter expiring the warranty. After an afternoon disassembling and reassembling the deck mounts everything works as it should and has since 1999.[/QUOTE said:
Actually its a good idea to give all your equipment a good go over to insure everything is tight and remains serviceable... when new and through out its serviceable life...
If you do this when it is new it'll be easier to know what to expect... :smile:KennyV

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
....i know and theres probably some male ego involved.....

No, I think that's about it. the whole thing.

If you are buying professional equipment and don't need to, you're just trying to impress someone with your ability to buy that kinda stuff. Just look at the Deere crowd, just here....:wink:......or you're having a "mine is bigger than yours" typical male BS contest......:rolleyes:

This being said as a male who can't afford to play this game, and I know why it's played.........a sane man knows there is good and bad in every marque, and in every price range.