Murray 24583 40" snow thrower worm drive question

RevB

Threads
In the recent round of snowstorms here in Wisconsin, the brass auger gear inside the worm drive shredded. I got a new gear and ran into what I think is a problem with the reassembly. The collar on one side of the worm gear is not held in tightly. I've marked the area in blue in the picture. It looks like there's a flange missing. I'm sure I didn't lose any parts, but just in case I've looked all over my workspace and can't find anything that might remotely resemble a flange. Of course, there isn't a schematic for this particular assembly for me to be sure it is missingView attachment 67649. At this point, I'm wondering if I can shim the collar to fit tighter to the roll pin. Thanks

RevB

Threads
In the recent round of snowstorms here in Wisconsin, the brass auger gear inside the worm drive shredded. I got a new gear and ran into what I think is a problem with the reassembly. The collar on one side of the worm gear is not held in tightly. I've marked the area in blue in the picture. It looks like there's a flange missing. I'm sure I didn't lose any parts, but just in case I've looked all over my workspace and can't find anything that might remotely resemble a flange. Of course, there isn't a schematic for this particular assembly for me to be sure it is missingView attachment 67649. At this point, I'm wondering if I can shim the collar to fit tighter to the roll pin. Thanks

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
It looks like the bushing was installed wrong. As installed it would have never prevented the worm gear walking itself out except for the large bushing that normally ride on the flange of the bronze bushing. Also appears to be missing a grease seal.

beaverplt

Threads
RevB, you are correct. The whole assembly was only available as a complete unit. Unfortunately, it's discontinued. I had to improvise something. I ended up installing washers to take up the gap. It works turning it by hand, but I haven't been able to field test it yet as the bearing I need to hold it in the housing is also discontinued. Of course, I learned that the hard way as the company I ordered it from never told me it was discontinued. They just canceled the order. I found a similar bearing and should get it tomorrow.

jono252525

Threads
Your bushing colar should be inside close to the worm gear and you need to install a oil seal at the external casing witch is missing right now.

beaverplt

Threads
That bushing is as close to the worm gear as it can get due to the roll pin. The oil seal is back in place now that I've reassembled it.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
That is not we referring to. We are referring to the bronze bushing the appears to be installed backwards on the shaft. And bushing may keyed to keep it from spinning.

Item #16 is the flanged bushing/bearing. Item #11 is the seal.
1706397017401.png

Last edited:

beaverplt

Threads
Ahh, Got it. Unfortunately, that bushing is no longer available. Also, because I couldn't get the impeller off the shaft, I would not have been able to put it on. That is why I had to add washers in the form of C clips between what's left of the original bushing and the thrust collar. It is definitely Jerry-Rigged, so we will see how it works. If it does, great. If it doesn't, plan B

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
It's common to apply heat in the wrong place when heat is needed to pull 2 items apart .